a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Mn rut report

Arrow Mn rut report

How's hunting been for you? I'm in Central MN, not so good> This has been a different year, I'm not seeing deer, even in good stand site's were in years past would see deer all the time. What's up? Anyone else been having the same luck (not so good luck) Hope things change soon before gun season starts Nov 7. Wish you all better luck then me.

Well, I have yet to see anything but little deer while on stand in MN. It's just been really crappy. Saturday I had my hunt ruined by trespassers.

I did see quite a few scrapes by my stand, there are scrapes there every year, in almost the exact same spots. I gave up around 9:30 Saturday and went home.

The weather hasn't exactly cooperated. Hopefully for you guys who have off this week you do some damage before the orange army hits the woods on Saturday.

Been slow here also..Havent seen a deer the past few times I've sat, and my cameras havent gotten a daytime pic in two weeks..My mock scrapes are getting hit multiple times pretty much night after night, but I have not found any natural scrapes on the land Im hunting...Too much corn in the fields yet...
    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks...

Cool ttt

Any other's care to add?

Saw thirteen saturday thru sunday.
    The bucks have the property all tore up with scrapes and lots of rubs.

Here is my weekend!
    Saturday AM nothing...
    Saturday night, lots of movement, I can see a lot of deer moving across the swamp. The snow makes them stand out! Two does come in and I let them walk.
    No bucks chasing them.

Sunday am....get out late after sunup. 45 minutes later a 6 is walking the pines. I grunt and he comes at me. He decides to miss the first trail that will take him right into the clearing for a 15 yard shot and takes the second! This brings him in behind me and to my right. He stands 5 yards from my stand in the brush and lip curls. Stand is set up to shot left and too much brush..all I can do is watch him! He gets nervous and moves off!

He's nervous becasue here comes a NICE 8! He looks like the ole swamp buck! He comes down the trail that the does used last night and this will take him right into the clearing at 20 yards broadside! NOPE..he gets it three yards short and comes out with a little bit of light brush in between us! I'm at full draw but I can't drop the string...it just doesn't feel right and I know I'm going to hit one of those little branches. He walks off into the pines! I see his legs and I figure..nothing to lose!!!! I hit the grunt call..he turns himself inside out and is across the swamp flag flying!!!! I pack it in and go home!
    Ford 8n Pro Staff
    =============
    Vegetarians...What fun is it to hunt a vegetable! Anyone can sneek up on a carrot!

Corn corn corn corn corn and more corn.

All our deer are in the CORN.

Hopefully we get some wind this week, in which case im going corn sneakin!

Well its on it's way now. Was out tonight and had some 1.5 yr olds chasing does around all night. Had one of them come right by my stand grunting the whole way, very cool as I've never heard a deer grunt before. It was much quieter than I would have thought. Plan on doing a couple midday hunts this week to see if I can catch a mature buck on his feet.
    Hoyt Charger-70# 30.5"
    Hoyt Trykon-64# 30" VaporTrail Strings/ Limb Driver / TruGlow Extreme 5 pin / Maxima Hunter 350's / Rage 2-blade 100 grains / Alpine SoftLoc 5 arrow
    www.strandedoutdoors.com

slow

Been tough here to, still have youngs bucks only at hitting scrapes at night, have a couple in the morning but really small bucks. Went into woods to check cams today and bumped a few deer that were on the feet at 11 am and saw more on there feet on roads around noon. Should have known today was mid day movment, it was obvious. Saw no deer this evening till on the way home after dark, there were 9 does and fawns moving into the woods im hunting. Will do a mid day hunt tomorrow, pack a lunch. I am not down about it cause I know things are going change real fast. The gun hunters hit the chase faze evry year here, its the same old story. We are also in a lotery so many young bucks wont make it till the middle of the month.

i was out all day saturday. didn't see a thing. no scrape or rub anywhere i look either. starting to think there is no deer in mn. hopefully i'll get one friday before the orange crew.

Bill
    2010 ELITE GT 500 MAX 1 #60

TEAM #41 NON TYPICALS

seeing alot of action starting to see big bucks making rubs and scraps and chasing does

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    seeing alot of action starting to see big bucks making rubs and scraps and chasing does
    Glad to be sitting here at school all week...not..
    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks...

Got up to the cabin too late to get set up tonight so I went grouse hunting instead. As I was driving out at last light I almost hit a bruiser with the car. His neck was swollen like crazy, so I am hoping for some decent action. I am planning on sitting all day Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
    "A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." - Aldo Leopold

I'm consistantly seeing deer just nothing I want to shoot. I'm not expert when it comes deer but in the last 3 days I've seen young bucks nubbins and spikes chasing any doe that comes by them.....not sure if that means there in the seeking phase or the chasing phase of the rut. I hunted Saturday night until dark but didn't get out yesterday because of rain and some time between 6:00PM Saturday night and 2PM today when I returned I had a buck make a scrap right under the branch I've been hanging my doe urine/estrous.....I've been switching between doe estrus and doe urine every time out there was also a rub on a tree about 20 feet from the scrape....I'm hopeful after seeing this sign.

Lots of sign, pictures & movement

Hunted last Thursday to Saturday am, with all the snow, sleet rain, and corn;
    I began to sing; rain, rain, go away, rut is here to stay for three weeks any way.

Going back out Wednesday to Saturday again for all day hunts, 50 miles west of St. Cloud. Lots of sign, pictures & movement, I have two different set up’s in funnels, based on the wind, not the corn, one on my lease the other on public ground, it has paid off for the past ten years. The Rut is on, going to put him down, before the orange army comes on Nov. 7th.