Thread: Can sit still

Can sit still

Ok this is my first year at this and I have been told that if I cant sit still I will not be allowed to go back with my boyfriend. I have asked a couple guys at work on some suggestions and they have said that I need to be in a blind verus out in the open for my first year. I have tired to sit still but when I do that I get sleepy. Does anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions??

You could always setup your own stand and kill a big buck... and then rub it in and tell him that he needs to learn how to sit still

Actually, I have the same issue, I can't sit still and I have to stay busy. If there isn't squirrels playing or deer in the field I have a tough time. I usually send txt messages or play games on my phone. But the last hour of shooting light i'm on full alert and try not to move at all.

When you are looking around, try not to swing your head around as much... look around with your eyes and move your head little by little, that will minimize your head movement in the stand.

Hope that helps and best of luck!!

Ive gotten this about several times myself, but never threatened to be left at home. I just have to see everything! I too take my blackberry and that keeps me focused in one area and my ears alert, but still put it away and total focus on the woods the last 1.5 hours.

Good advice from HuntNWOHIO. No one can sit perfectly still the whole time. You just have to learn to move REALLY slowly, if you are not in a blind. My first season I got busted all the time by smart does because they would always see me before I saw them. I guess I would be moving and then when I saw them, they would be looking at me and saw me moving. Also, the last deer that I harvested paid no attention to his surroundings. I don't know how long he had been in front of me before I noticed him. I had been moving because I was getting restless since it was getting close to time to get down.

Just try to move slow and if you are in a ladder stand and can put up some camo material to mask your lower body that would be great. When I hunt a huge field, I bring a book and when I want to look up from it, I still have to move really slow; don't just jerk your head up.

Maybe you should ask your boyfriend how you are supposed to learn? Obviously not through experience if he doesn't want to be patient and show you, since it is your 1st season! Also, once you get the thrill of your first harvest, you'll have more motivation to sit still.

One more thing, I don't like to hunt with my husband. It is too much distraction and actually he is the one that talks too much and moves around, not me. So, I would rather hunt seperately from him. Maybe that's what y'all should try too!

We hunt together at the same location but in different spots. Which is just how I like it, I dont want anyone there telling me what to do. Killed my first deer this year, so I must be doing something right. As far as the sitting still, sorry I cant help with that, I have no problems sitting still as long as I have a good view Im perfectly content. I love the woods!

I would have to agree with the others, take your phone and tex or play games. But always be on your toes looking with your eyes and move slow just to make sure not to miss the big buck or doe that might come in. Watch the animals because usually when the squirels starts to bark something is coming. He will think being still when put the smack down on that big one!!
    Good Luck!!Hunting..

I also find that I have a harder time sitting still when my husband is with me, I don't know if it is me or him? I prefer to sit by myself, I text on my phone, usually with my husband and I just really pay attention when I do get ready to make any moves. Like the others said, the last 1 - 1.5 hours I do nothing except pay attention to what is going on around me. If I have been sitting for awhile I will look around and slowly stand up (I'm in ladder stands) and just really pay attention. The squirrels are very good indicators.

[QUOTE=HuntNWOHIO;1056029254]You could always setup your own stand and kill a big buck... and then rub it in and tell him that he needs to learn how to sit still

I like that idea!! You will be fine, just tell him you would like to sit in YOUR OWN STAND. It is a learn as you go kind of thing. GOOD LUCK TO YA!!

I have trouble sittin still or stayin awake too.. but as they have said your cell phone helps, I take a book and have also been know to carry a pocket sized electronic game such as solitare, poker or black jack... that helps too.. I have spent alot of time in a blind over last few yrs since I have been takin my little girl out with me, and tryin to keep a 2 yr old still and quiet is impossible... And now my parents moved back to this area and mom keeps her for me so I can get back in my ladder stand again..
    2011 New Breed archery Gentix (blackedout)
    shooting staff: Trophy Chicks Prostaff, Dead Center Archery Stabilizers, Trophy Blend, , Schmidty's strings, Muddy Girl/Moon Shine..

I'm not good at sitting still either. I have pop up blind that I use in my normal hunting spot -- a tree stand really doesn't make or break this area for hunting. So what do I do to keep myself occupied until the high traffic hour? I knit and crochet. My bow at ready with arrow nocked on a small fold up stool. I can easily and quietly drop whatever small project I'm working on and do business if I have to. And yes, my release is on.

But this year I've had opportunity to just sit -- once of a fold up chair and once on the ground. If you're a bit hidden you can get away with some wiggles and twitches -- no arts and crafts though!! I've had two deer come up on me that never saw me (bad shot angle though) ten yards or less.

take a book to read. That's what I do. Otherwise I can't do it either. I started fidgeting and concentrating on how uncomfortable the stand is. Reading helps take my mind off everything else and helps me be quiet too.

This is my first yr too. I hunt with my husband and his friends in the same area but different spots. I have found that I like the tree stand because I can see more and I don't get so bored. I also text people.

True cell phone story...so I was taking pictures of myself in my stand to send to my husband...and earlier I had a buck walk just outside of range...well, while taking pictures, he walked right behind my stand, I heard a snap of a branch, and there he was...needless to say, I was slightly unprepared..lol...I also stand up and sit down occasionally, just to keep the circulation up...also when there is a deer I'm going to pass on, I test the waters just to get an idea in my own mind just what I can get a way with..not much with whitetails, but it is your own experience that will teach you. Good Luck!

Well I must be lazy....I can sit pretty still. I think it comes from all of the years that I didn't hunt and stayed mad at the hubby for being gone all the time. I just sit and think and spend time with myself. It is nice to just be there and not worry about other stuff. It has taken me a long time to be able to unwind in the woods. Yeah I text some and I do take naps but mostly I just enjoy what God has put before me. Not everyone has the opportunity to do what we do and it is nice to go to work on Monday morning and listen to the other women moan about their weekend and I just smile and tell them I sat in the woods and listened to birds and squirrels. Life passes too fast to get all jumpy and fidgity in the woods.

Every day I see people that have lost their ability to walk without a cane or walker or have the shakes so bad I have to make out their checks, just take your time and enjoy what time you get in the woods. Life passes too fast. We are never promised tomorrow so enjoy what we got!!
    Welcome to Tennessee....Patron state of shooting stuff

Bellefontaine, Round on the sides-HI, in the middle

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNWOHIO View Post
    You could always setup your own stand and kill a big buck... and then rub it in and tell him that he needs to learn how to sit still

Actually, I have the same issue, I can't sit still and I have to stay busy. If there isn't squirrels playing or deer in the field I have a tough time. I usually send txt messages or play games on my phone. But the last hour of shooting light i'm on full alert and try not to move at all.

When you are looking around, try not to swing your head around as much... look around with your eyes and move your head little by little, that will minimize your head movement in the stand.

Hope that helps and best of luck!!

Well said!
    Proud to represent:
    Team Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by HomeGrwn View Post
    . I have tired to sit still but when I do that I get sleepy. Does anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions??
    I always get sleepy. So I usually try to get in the woods earlier and.. yes I do nod off. 5 minutes here 10 minutes there. Saturday PM i was standing at the base of a nice pine tree near a few good runs and I almost fell down a couple times (nodding off) SO I sat down against the truck of the tree and drifted of a couple times for 10 or 15 minutes. Within 5 minutes of getting back up I had one walk in behind me.

2 weeks ago I spooked a red-tailed hawk out of the tree 20ft from me when I opened my eyes.

I think it lets the woods get used to me being there, I catch 40 winks and I'm ready when the deer show up. Everyone has their own method, this seems to work for me.

The biggest thing is to make all movements slow as if there is a deer watching you, that way you can't go wrong.
    2011 Hoyt RampageXT - 62# 29.5", B-Stinger, MBG Vengeance
    2009 Hoyt Katera - 62# 29" FOR SALE $250 Bare Bow Posted in Hunting Bows
    2009 Hoyt Pro Elite - 65# 29.5" Bernie's Scorpion, Sure-Loc
    Scott Rhino XT

Quote Originally Posted by absolutecool View Post

Every day I see people that have lost their ability to walk without a cane or walker or have the shakes so bad I have to make out their checks, just take your time and enjoy what time you get in the woods. Life passes too fast. We are never promised tomorrow so enjoy what we got!!
    Nicely said!

Quote Originally Posted by absolutecool View Post
    I just enjoy what God has put before me. Not everyone has the opportunity to do what we do and it is nice to go to work on Monday morning and listen to the other women moan about their weekend and I just smile and tell them I sat in the woods and listened to birds and squirrels. Life passes too fast to get all jumpy and fidgity in the woods.

So very nicely said ~ I sometimes get fidgity, but I love to be out there, that is my time, the kids still intrude because all they do is text me, but there are many times I just don't answer back or tell them that I am in my time now, but it is awesome to sit there and watch the squirrels play, or the birds doing their work, and even when the deer come in and the younger ones play while mom's are eating.

Just move slow and take it all in. And sit by yourself

This is funny to me because I am always the one fussing at my boyfriend to sit still! haha! He is a wildlife biologist for our state so you would think he'd be better but he is so fidgety by nature, it kills me! This is our first hunting season together so we've been hunting out of a blind this year and we'll have deer all over us.. and he gets so excited he moves his head around, up and down trying to see them, all the time telling ME not to move! HAHA!

I love the woods and silence so much that it is easy for me to sit still and take it all in, unless my feet fall asleep! Isn't it great just to be out there away from the world where everyone is rushing around, while you are just enjoying God's awesome creation!?

A few weeks ago, i went hunting and was texting my hubby. The last thing he said to me was "Honey, just be ready." So..........I sat down, leaned back..........and let a 155-160 inch deer play around my stand. I couldn't move b/c he walked around into the wind, and smelled me so he was looking for me really hard. if i would have moved, i would have been totally completely busted and he would have high-tailed it out of there. Also, i had such a terrible case of Buck Fever I am not sure that i could have moved. So now, i stay on high alert, waiting and watching. but before that I got antsy ALOT!

Just imagine that Big Daddy buck is just over the ridge and you have to see him the instant he comes in.

I seem to sit quieter by myself too. I can usually occupy myself by watching the squirrels or birds, but do have a book with that I read occasionally. I am totally guilty of dozing off a couple of times.

If I hunted in a blind I would be out like a light. Something about hearing all the noises of nature just puts me right to sleep. But I spend most of my time hunting out of my climber and while I feel safe, I just can't fall asleep hanging 20+ feet in the air off a tree. If I can stay warm I can usually sit still pretty well but when I get cold I get really fidgity.
    Bowtech Experience

Genesis 27:3
    "Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"

Plus you should tell your boyfriend to think about how lucky he is that you will go out and hunt with him. I know there's a lot of guys who would be thrilled to just have their girlfriend/wives in the woods with them and wouldn't care if they moved or not!
    Bowtech Experience

Genesis 27:3
    "Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"

Thank you so much everyone!! I will be playing on my phone untell the final hour. Plus trying to be stealth like both my eyes and not my head.