a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Huge Cougar killed in southern Illinois

Huge Cougar killed in southern Illinois

A friend e-mailed a picture of a 250lb cat that had been run over just North of Mt. Vernon Illinois. I forgot to e-mail it to the house. If anyone has the pic please post it on this thread so others may see just how big this cat was. I live about 40 miles East of Mt. Vernon and it's gonna make those dark walks into the woods a little more interesting.

Found it

On another board after google search.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Physical Characteristics - Adult mountain lions usually measure between 2' and 2.5' at the shoulders, weigh between 75 to 120 pounds, and are between five to nine feet long from head to tail.

250????
    i have lions in my backyard but if i saw one that big im pretty sure i would loose my $h1zle!

Ohhhhh, gonna start taking my ar15 with me now!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmdbamafan View Post
    on another board after google search.
    WILD REALITY TV

PSE Field Staff

Quote Originally Posted by spike camp View Post
    Physical Characteristics - Adult mountain lions usually measure between 2' and 2.5' at the shoulders, weigh between 75 to 120 pounds, and are between five to nine feet long from head to tail.

250????
    i have lions in my backyard but if i saw one that big im pretty sure i would loose my $h1zle!
    well, now thats the first time I've seen shizzle used on at...lol

I call BS. Here in Utah most adult males killed are 140-160lbs with 180lbs being huge.
    Utahelk

11' Hoyt CRX 35 Max1
    10' Hoyt Maxxis 35

I was on my way out to hunt a week ago and saw the cat. I don't know if it was 250 lbs or not but it was a big cat. It was on I-64 in the East bound lane just on the St. Louis side of Mt. Vernon. I started to turn around and get a picture but I didn't. Really couldn't believe what I saw....didn't know there where mountain lions in Illinois.
    Spot On Bowstrings
    Backwoods Bowhunters Archery Range

Bohning, Scott, CBE, Classic Scopes, Carbon Express, Spot On Bowstrings, B-Stinger Stabilizers, BCY, LP Archery

Yes I firmly believe that there are now mountain Lions in Illinois. There been alot of sightings in central Illinois this year. Just south of Springfield theres a gas line being put in that runs from East to West coast. Several workers saw a large cat on a couple of different occasions this past year. Several sightings from different familys has been seen around Petersburg Illinois. Even the Adams County and Brown County Sheriff told our neighbor that several cat sightings has been seen around were we hunt. I beleive that our state is releasing these cats for deer maangement. The one just south of Springfield according to the workers had a collar around its neck.
    2009 Carbon Fiber Monster 6.7 64lbs 382gr arrow 308 fps

Theodore Roosevelt set the state record for the largest mountain lion killed in Colorado more than 100 years ago, but that record was surpassed in January 2002 after the kill of possibly an even larger mountain lion.

The 2001 mountain lion was killed in December just northwest of Pagosa Springs. The lion weighed 220 pounds before being field dressed or gorged and was 8 feet from nose to tail. The final Boone and Crockett score was 16 0/16, which beat the previous record of 15 12/16 set by Roosevelt in 1901.

The mountain lion that Roosevelt killed in February 1901 northwest of Meeker was said to weigh 227 pounds. “This is a reputed weight because it’s not known whether it was gorged or field dressed when it was weighed,” said Dick Ray, the outfitter who was on the hunt for the 2001 mountain lion.

interesting stuff...i would definatly loose my shizzle if i saw something like that around here!

on the one link looks like a female african lion.holy $#!^ i would love to arrow the cat.
    Evolution☆Stormy hardwoods☆27", 58.4lbs ,holding 9.8lbs,334gr at 293fps loaded string Breathn!

Huge Cougar killed in southern Illinois

If I remember correctly the mountain lion Posted of was thought to be someone's "pet" that escaped. It's heavy weight was a deciding factor. BUT, mountains lions have been spotted in Illinois for at least the last 50 years that I know of.
    I live in Fulton County, home of vast strip mine grounds, big timber and lots of deer. Why couldn't a mountain lion survive here?
    Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Onyx, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Cartel.

Let me first say this is just a tat on the sick side,,,,

Now with that said,,, it is funny in a sick way..
    The things you do today will be tomorrows topics of conversation, make it a good story!
    Friend Of BowFreakz Forum
    The Best Hunting Arrows In The World, Guaranteed!
    www.SouthShoreArcherySupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by utahelk View Post
    I call BS. Here in Utah most adult males killed are 140-160lbs with 180lbs being huge.
    It's Illinois! Everythings bigger in illinois! lmao

Quote Originally Posted by marku View Post
    Yes I firmly believe that there are now mountain Lions in Illinois. There been alot of sightings in central Illinois this year. Just south of Springfield theres a gas line being put in that runs from East to West coast. Several workers saw a large cat on a couple of different occasions this past year. Several sightings from different familys has been seen around Petersburg Illinois. Even the Adams County and Brown County Sheriff told our neighbor that several cat sightings has been seen around were we hunt. I beleive that our state is releasing these cats for deer maangement. The one just south of Springfield according to the workers had a collar around its neck.
    Dude, you can't actually believe that can you?? First of all, the state isn't releasing mountain lions to reduce deer numbers, thats just assinite. Secondly, why haven't all these supposed Cat sightings been in the papers or on the news??? Don't believe ever thing you hear.

Maybe it was feeding on all of those NWR whitetails that are behind every tree in IL
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." ~~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

I haven't seen that picture in a while. And I have to admit, this may be the vest use of it I've seen!

Quote Originally Posted by FultonCtyHunter View Post
    Dude, you can't actually believe that can you?? First of all, the state isn't releasing mountain lions to reduce deer numbers, thats just assinite. Secondly, why haven't all these supposed Cat sightings been in the papers or on the news??? Don't believe ever thing you hear.
    I live were I-57 and I-70 cross we found a cat track that was every bit of 7 inches long and there was a smaller track with it two years ago. We found another one earlier this year in the same spot. I have read an article that in Southern Illinois the DNR had released cougars to control the deer population. If i can find the article i will post up.

It very well could've been an escaped pet cat. Ya never know. We've had sightings, tracks, etc. here in west central Missouri in the past. We've also had sightings of black panthers here but that was back in the mid 90's.

Sightings and tracks are found in Southern Illinois on occassion. A few years back there was a video that showed I-64/I-57 interchange in the background with a Mt. Lion walking in a field. Officially the state claims we do not have them and when one is killed they test and ultimately say either escape or nothing. I am not positive but the ones I know of killed were all males, which makes perfect sense. Young males have to leave thier mothers and search for thier own territory at a certain point. We have enough woods down here to hold a population and I wish they were a breeding population. I have never personally seen one here and the pics people come up with at work are all Bobcats. We do have them however the population is low and more of them are passing through I think.

250 lbs????? i seriously doubt it.
    OZONICS- proof that with leased land, and enough technology, even Tom Nelson and Jay Gregory can actually kill something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt1977 View Post
    I live were I-57 and I-70 cross we found a cat track that was every bit of 7 inches long and there was a smaller track with it two years ago. We found another one earlier this year in the same spot. I have read an article that in Southern Illinois the DNR had released cougars to control the deer population. If i can find the article i will post up.
    Cat tracks are not 7 inches long. You may have a sasquatch in your area now. I, as well as everyone else from the west can tell you, you guys have nothing to worry about. The possibility that you may or may not have a cat or two is there, but what are you worried about. Don't come west, it to dangerous for you fellas.

I'll try to find the post the pic

As I said it was sent to me at work and I can't confirm or deny where the cat was hit just repeating what I was told. I will say this, it was huge and very fat so the post about it being someone's pet actually makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfevr#1 View Post
    A friend e-mailed a picture of a 250lb cat that had been run over just North of Mt. Vernon Illinois. I forgot to e-mail it to the house. If anyone has the pic please post it on this thread so others may see just how big this cat was. I live about 40 miles East of Mt. Vernon and it's gonna make those dark walks into the woods a little more interesting.
    does this look like it?
    http://www.texashuntworks.com/index....ll-County.html
    famous Chris Bracket quote.
    "BUT THE MAIN REASON I SHOOT A RAGE IS THAT IF A GIANT WHITETAIL STEPS OUT AND I ONLY HAVE ONE SHOT AND ITS VITALS ARE BEHIND A TREE I CAN PULL MY PIN TO THE CENTER OF ITS GUTS AND PULL THE TRIGGER AND THE BUCK WONT BE FATHER THEN 100 YARDS 6 HOURS LATER!!!! DEAD DEER WALKING!!!!! BOOYAH!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by mattsdad View Post
    Ohhhhh, gonna start taking my ar15 with me now!!!
    Considering that mountain lions have soaked up .308 and similar rounds to the chest before indicates that you may want to bring more gun than an AR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast