Thread: Bad Deer Meat? How Long Do I Have?

Bad Deer Meat? How Long Do I Have?

I gutshot a buck this morning, there are calling for 60 degrees around 11am, I shot him at 6:20 or so this morning. If I find him will the meat be bad?

I'd get on him ASAP! As soon as you find him, gut him, get the skin off asap and if you can't butcher right away get some ice bags and fill up the chest cavity.
    Ford 8n Pro Staff
    =============
    Vegetarians...What fun is it to hunt a vegetable! Anyone can sneek up on a carrot!

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeOutdoors View Post
    I gutshot a buck this morning, there are calling for 60 degrees around 11am, I shot him at 6:20 or so this morning. If I find him will the meat be bad?
    no, he will die slow give him 4 or 5 hours and find him. meat doesnt spoil that fast.
    2010 PSE Vendetta XL, Doinker,CBE,Easton
    2012 PSE Dominator 3D Doinker,CBE,Easton
    2014 PSE Supra Max, Doinker,CBE,Goldtip Arrows.

It'll take him a few hours to die, there will be some contamination during this period, but most of the spoilage will occur after death. The quicker you can get him on ice the better. If it's gonna take awhile to get him butchered, after you find him, I would carry bagged ice. Get the guts out and fill the cavity with ice, that'll help buy you some time. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by SET THE HOOK View Post
    no, he will die slow give him 4 or 5 hours and find him. meat doesnt spoil that fast.
    ya he won't spoil before you get to him...if you find him fairly quickly, but don't let him lay around in that temp. too long
    Ford 8n Pro Staff
    =============
    Vegetarians...What fun is it to hunt a vegetable! Anyone can sneek up on a carrot!

Not sure about spoilage but the meat might have a tainted taste. Gut shots kill by septic shock which is the deer's waste products escaping the intestines and polluting the blood stream and vital organs.

The meat will be fine.

The normal body temp. of a white tail is listed as 100.4 F

Even at 60F ambient temp, the carcass will cool out quickly (which is what you want).

I presume it will be cooling off in the evening hours where you are, so when you figure in the 3 to 8 hours it will take the animal to expire, you will be fine.

The key is, you do not want the meat to warm.
    If the meat was already cooled out to 40F and you let it warm to 60F you would have a problem, however as long as the temp. of the meat is going down consistently (which should be the case) you are fine.
    LONESOME ELK ARCHERY TERRE HAUTE IN.
    Look Well to the East

Ever see a dead animal in this heat, especially if it is in the direct sun? I left one overnight in the 50s and lost a good portion of the meat to spoilage.

Good luck!
    Dan
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." ~~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Quote: It'll take him a few hours to die, there will be some contamination during this period Quote.

How would any meat spoil when it's actually still alive? I would think during the hours he's still alive the meat is fine. Then you should get to it rather quickly in these temps.

So,,, I would think an a.m. shot deer (in the gut) would die approx. 5 hours after the shot. Then you have a few more to recover the deer and get the guts out for it too cool off. In this case, the meat IMHO would be fine.

Let us know,,, pics too please.
    There's only 2 seasons..... Deer season...and waiting til Deer season!!

"How would any meat spoil when it's actually still alive?"

Don't know if I would characterize it as spoilage as much as contamination or getting "dirty". I made a terrible shot on a buck this year--probably 18" behind the shoulder, and he was down and dead within 80 yds. However, he literally "spilled his guts" into the abdominal cavity and the tenderloins were nasty. They did clean up OK, but I've not cooked one yet--and I anticipate some odor when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by nicko View Post
    Not sure about spoilage but the meat might have a tainted taste. Gut shots kill by septic shock which is the deer's waste products escaping the intestines and polluting the blood stream and vital organs.
    Exactly, it's the smell that makes the meat taste nasty.