Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make deadly broadheads

How to make deadly broadheads

What follows are basic instructions to make your own deadly broadheads. Three of the five deer I have harvested this year have been with my own heavy broadheads. They have performed beyond expectation.
    Disclaimer: I shoot heavy bows, 80-90 lbs, with heavy spined arrows, .300 minumum spine. Don't try shooting heavy broadheads with a light arrow.
    Consult the pictures along with the instructions.
    Tools needed: Vise, Hacksaw with abrasive blade, metal snips (I use a Craftsman and it works well),a sharp scribe, sharpening equipment
    Materials: cardstock papar, thin aluminum (dryer duct guage), 16 guage mild steel, JB weld, Aluminum or steel ferule for mounting 5degree taper socket head for regular screw in tips.
    1. Determine your cutting diameter. I generally use 2 inches
    2. Draw a paper patters with a center line longitudinally. Here's to all you Trekkers; this pattern is the Star Trek Design. Any number of designs is possible.
    3. Transfer to thin aluminum (dryer duct guage). Make sure to keep the center line scribed on the aluminum. The aluminum serves as a durable template.
    4. Scribe a straight line on your steel.
    5. Lay aluminum template on the line and scribe the design onto the steel.
    6. Use snips to cut it out
    7. Saw a slot down the center an aluminum ferule. Dont smooth out the burrs as they help hold the JB weld.
    8. Mount the blade in your vise point down and JB weld the ferule onto the blade using the centerline to balance the ferule with the blade.
    9. Don't touch it for 12 hours.
    10. Sharpen with a combination of grinder, files, stones, etc until razor sharp.
    11. Mount on a heavy stiff spined arrow and fletch with large helical feathers.
    12. Hunt (My state allows barbed arrow heads as long as they meet the cutting diameter requirements. If you's doesn't, don't make your design barbed) My homemade broadheads have a 2 inch cutting diameter and produce very humane kills. Oh yes, they shoot accurately
    Questions and comments welcomed

Attached Images Attached Images

how heavy are they?
    2007 Diamond Black Ice. 70lb draw 28 in.
    2007 Tribute with Barnsdale limbs
    only shoot with fobs and accu nocks
    Grave diggers
    Both have QAD LD rest. Harvester HT-2 arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by bagel77 View Post
    how heavy are they?
    The one in the picture is 285 grains before it is sharpened

WOW you were not kidding about heavy
    2007 Diamond Black Ice. 70lb draw 28 in.
    2007 Tribute with Barnsdale limbs
    only shoot with fobs and accu nocks
    Grave diggers
    Both have QAD LD rest. Harvester HT-2 arrows.

Pretty cool I'm going to have to try this, and I bet they're humane, I don't think anything would want to get hit by that :O
    EliteGT500-ninjaNinja07elite synergy 60# 28"dl+Sur-loc challenger/special ops+limbdriver+ homemade stabs
    +carter evolution plus+fmj 500's+Slick tricks+scorpion strings.Starrflight staff shooter.Manitoba provincial team member.
    http://www.starrflight.com

You make that look too easy! Good job!
    Got any kill pics?
    Billy Byrd

ArcherRange Rangefinder
    An ACCURATE Rangefinder for ONLY $49.95!!
    www.ArcherRange.com

so if i wanted a 150gr head would i just cut it smaller to begin with, or make according to instructions and then shave it down?
    what's the f.o.c. on these with your setup? i use .300 spines as well, but only pull 70# with a 30" arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobist View Post
    so if i wanted a 150gr head would i just cut it smaller to begin with, or make according to instructions and then shave it down?
    what's the f.o.c. on these with your setup? i use .300 spines as well, but only pull 70# with a 30" arrow.
    The photo below is one of the first broadheads I made. It weighs 145 grains with about a 1 1/8 cutting diameter. The ferule is different as well. I got a deer with it this year mounted on a 29" Beman ICS .300. It passed through both lungs and on out. Front of center on the super heavys is way front unless you shoot 35 inch aluminums or homemade wood arrow. You can make heads to haft directly into wood or use a five degree coverter tip to take threads.

Quote Originally Posted by WCWade View Post
    Got any kill pics?
    I posted kill pics on the hunting forumn under a topic "homemade broadheads" and "homemade arrow and broadhead" I have tried to post the same pictures in other threads, but it doesn't let me. If you click on my user name and ask to see all of my posts, you will see kill pics with homemade broadheads.

Quote Originally Posted by WCWade View Post
    Got any kill pics?
    Yeh, I found one with the 145gr that I made a while ago.

Where do you get your ferrules from? Can you post a link?

Thanks,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by blade37defender View Post
    Where do you get your ferrules from? Can you post a link?

Thanks,
    Chris
    I got the aluminum ferules from 3rivers archery, but any of the online bow hunting supply places carry them. For a very light ferule you can use an 8-32 aluminum machine screw, slot it with a saw and use a peaice of aluminum tubing as a sleeve. Also, I forgot to mention that you need to pound the head flat after you snip it out of your stock steel.

Wow, looks cool. Almost like a medieval arrowhead.

Great, now my wife is going to upset with me because I found another "reason" to be out in my shop. LMAO... Those are wicked looking, I'm going have to go and play around and try making some up. Just the other night I was kidding aound with my buddies saying I was going to build and arrow to hunt coyotes with, so I did. Problem is I figure I need to build a bow with a truck leaf spring to shoot it now, it weighed .6 lbs. Normal grain scale wouldn't read it because it is to heavy. I think the steel mesh fletchings put it over the top. LOL... Anyway, great broad head you made there.

Very cool Would really like to try something this.
    Mathews Reezen 7.0 29' 70# (Hunter)

Mathews Reezen 6.5 29' 70# (3D Shooter)

thanks for the post, i've been wanting to try this too. did you use the 8-32 aluminum screw for the 145 grain head? im tossing beman 400's 28", 60#.

General, post up that coyote arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasboi View Post
    thanks for the post, i've been wanting to try this too. did you use the 8-32 aluminum screw for the 145 grain head? im tossing beman 400's 28", 60#.

Yes, I used and 8-32 aluminum screw, but there's something better that you can buy at the local Menards called an aluminum screw post extention. It works perfectly for lighter homemade heads. I will try to remember to post a picture of one later today.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasboi View Post

Here is the picture I promised you. The thread is 8-32 and mandrel is the same size as in any screw in broadhead. Before slotting, screw into the insert you will use and mark the maximum depth you want to cut the slot.

Thanks for this post. It is time for me to start gathering up old saws all blades, box cutter blades, and such. Do you think that H Depot would have the screw extension posts?

What is the lightest BH that you have been able to make? In Alabama the cutting diameter has to be a min of 1" and there is a min thickness of the blade like 0.015" (I need to look this up again). I like shooting 100 grain BHs.

I have thought about taking field tips and heating them and then beating them flat but I have not tried heating them to see how good of a blacksmith I might be. I was thinking that a 150 grain FT might work for shaping and then I could sharpen away 50 grains and be ready to go.

With my hunting abilities I don't need many BHs but it does bother me that BHs are now going for around $10 each.

lightest broadhead

The lightest broadhead I have made is about 100 gr and 1 inch cutting diameter. I have not used it to hunt. I prefer the heavy heads with big cutting diameters.

Any ideas for a turkey BH?

Quote Originally Posted by beyo View Post
    Any ideas for a turkey BH?
    Yes. I have made a turkey broadhead that I believe will be highly effective but I'm not going post it here until I know it works. I will post a how to here after Spring turkey season.

Quote Originally Posted by nagant View Post
    The photo below is one of the first broadheads I made. It weighs 145 grains with about a 1 1/8 cutting diameter. The ferule is different as well. I got a deer with it this year mounted on a 29" Beman ICS .300. It passed through both lungs and on out. Front of center on the super heavys is way front unless you shoot 35 inch aluminums or homemade wood arrow. You can make heads to haft directly into wood or use a five degree coverter tip to take threads.
    Great looking, awesome BH. But FYI this BH might be considered a barbed head, which is illegal in some states. Would hate to see someone get in trouble for it. Not sure what the angle has to be on the rear of the blade to be considered barbed or not.
    '07 Bowtech Commander 75lbs, Octane, QAD-HD, Apex Atomic
    '12 Elite Pure 65lbs, SS1, QAD-HDX, CBE Tek-Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by nycredneck View Post
    Great looking, awesome BH. But FYI this BH might be considered a barbed head, which is illegal in some states. Would hate to see someone get in trouble for it. Not sure what the angle has to be on the rear of the blade to be considered barbed or not.
    That is addressed in step 12 of the original post

Home depot did not have the screw post extension. I will have to try Lowe's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast