Thread: Reusing arrows?

Reusing arrows?

I was just washing off an arrow from a doe i killed Saturday and was wondering if any of you other guys also reused your arrows. I know a few guys who dont use them after they took an animal. So I was just curious.

if the arrow is good, i would. But carbon arrows dont like bashing up against trees. My dad told me all the time he'd shoot a deer, find the arrow, and if it was still decent, he'd stick it in the trailer hitch bend it straight and stick it in the quiver, then go get the deer..All with easton aluminum arrows.
    El Boone:
    Personally, Id quickly make a surprised face, yell "look out behind you, a hunter", and while he was looking, switch arrows and shoot him.

i kinda have a stupid thing i do..... after taking an animal with an arrow that arrow is the first one shot each hunt until it gets damaged and is retired then i start with the next arrow... i dunno why always done it good luck thing i guess

I keep the arrow as a memento of the hunt and the animal killed.

First deer killed, first arrow in the collection...

I check for splintering, wash-off, re-fletch (feather user), and re-use. Had 1 Gold Tip XT7595 last me 5 animals.

For broadheads I swap blades and spin test. If still true, it is my go-to arrow again.

Unless the arrow represents a trophy in itself to you, I would test it to be sure it is still good and stick in my quiver to use again. I have no problem getting the most out of an arrow. It's just an arrow and just another kill.

if the arrow is still good, no cracks or splinters anf flexes good i dont even wash it off... right back in the quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by slickstalker View Post
    Unless the arrow represents a trophy in itself to you, I would test it to be sure it is still good and stick in my quiver to use again. I have no problem getting the most out of an arrow. It's just an arrow and just another kill.
    I can respect that too.

If it's good use it again.
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

I keep them with the racks usually. I'd probly be more apt to reuse them if I could harvest more than 1 deer or elk a season..
    Eberlestock
    RockyMountain packs/Vortex optics/ASAT Camo

Just like smokin24v, once I use an arrow to take a deer, it is the first one that I use in future hunts. It becomes my go to arrow.

I go one step further, though. I take a sharpie and write some details of each kill on the vane. Date, weight, etc.

I just had to retire arrow this year - when it was retired, it had 5 kills written on it (including the one that broke it)

Another thing that I do with all of my hunting arrows is that I take some food grade silicone spray (any butcher supply store) and lightly coat the entire arrow and broadhead. I believe that it may reduce friction and also protects the blades. It certainly hasn't hurt since all but one time I have had complete pass-through, and that was a deflection off of a branch and it hit the spine - the broadhead made it all of the way through, even so, and my bow pulls at 58lbs.

Reuse?

I used the same arrow to take both my buck and bull elk last year...mabey this year too? Easton Axis 340.
    DXT & Switchback...28"/ 72lbs..FMJ's 340..100gr Nap Hellrazors

Quote Originally Posted by smokin24v View Post
    i kinda have a stupid thing i do..... after taking an animal with an arrow that arrow is the first one shot each hunt until it gets damaged and is retired then i start with the next arrow... i dunno why always done it good luck thing i guess
    I do the same thing. I try my best to reuse the arrow and broadhead just to see how many I can kill with it. I shoot fixed blade broadheads only and I expect to get a bunch of kills with each as well even if the arrow is broken. I find another arrow, screw on the broadhead and make that my first in my quiver.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

You cannot hit what you cannot see.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBert View Post
    I keep the arrow as a memento of the hunt and the animal killed.

First deer killed, first arrow in the collection...

What's the problem Evilbert? A little crazy glue and some tape, and that baby will be ready for the quiver!

Kidding aside, at the cost of arrows these days (and college tuitions, and mortgages, and a house full of women), if it isn't damaged, it gets washed off, new blades, and back in the quiver.
    Hoyt's
    Hogg's
    Quick Spin's