a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota RUT

Unhappy Minnesota RUT

Anyone in Minnesota still seeing Rut activity in your neck of the woods? The rut in central MN apparently is over not seeing any chasing or breeding go on. The deer are still in the crop's heavy, but not much going on in the woods. How about you folk's what are you seeing in your neck of the woods?

To me it seems like it hasn't even taken off yet, I'm still seeing a bunch of does with fawns........
    2013 PSE Omen Max ~Spot Hogg Boss Hogg ~ Vapor Trail strings ~ HVR ~ Easton Torch

still seeing does with fawns also. saw one tonight that is HOT, she was walkin with her tail straight up and peeing about every 10ft
    under construction...

Rut activity here in southern MN has been nonexistent. Saw multiple does with fawn tonight. Have not observed a chase yet.

Alexandria Area

I hunted quite a lot this past week and saw very little if any activity...not even much doe movement or trail-cam pics. The week before there was a lot of activity...scrapes getting hit every night, saw bucks harrassing does, etc. I don't know what to think either. I'm beginning to think it's all over. I only have about three days left before I have to leave town for a couple of weeks & I'm thinking I'm going to have an unfilled tag this year.

ttt

Anyone else??????

None in central MN last weekend, but I hear it is slowly starting now. Running late this year.
    Hoyt CS34

I'm just north of the Twin Cities and it seems to be a very strange year to me. I haven't seen any chasing, I've had multiple bucks walking together through the woods and I have only had a few responding to calls. I have yet to see any larger bucks(130 and up), I know of at least five in my area and haven't seen any of them yet.

My guess is just wrapping up in west central MN. While MN had unusually above average temps and rain this past month, day time RUT activity was suppressed. My game cameras confirm that - chasing the past two weeks with almost all activity after hours!

Had a 130" walk by me tonight about 50 yards away. Once he passed, he responded to nothing (i.e estrous bleat, grunt, horns). Weird
    Blazin' Pond & Oak Savanna - Fowl and Whitetails
    Glacial lakes area, Minnesota

I think the peak of the rut is still yet to come. Currently, there is very strange activity overall. I have not seen a single cornfield cut here in SE, so those have to be holding the bucks most of the time. Warmer-than-average temps haven't helped either. Scrapes are not being made or hit, and I am not finding any new antler rubs. I witnessed a chase/harassment of two does by a 3.5 year old buck on 11/2 ("rutting full moon"), and activity really died off after that. Saw 4 does and 1 buck on the morning of 11/8, 3 does and 2 bucks the evening of 11/13, and 4 does the evening of 11/14, but no chasing going on at all. One of the does I saw on 11/13 was in heat, she was a fawn or 1.5yo doe and was walking with her hail horizontal and constantly licking herself back there. I think a lot of their activity with rutting is nocturnal, and has been pushed back due to the warm temps. We should see peak rut sometime between 11/15 and 11/22.

Quote Originally Posted by blakeman View Post
    Anyone in Minnesota still seeing Rut activity in your neck of the woods? The rut in central MN apparently is over not seeing any chasing or breeding go on. The deer are still in the crop's heavy, but not much going on in the woods. How about you folk's what are you seeing in your neck of the woods?
    it has not really started here yet. your not looking in the right places. a little later this year.

I have the same feeling as some of you, something is off this year, not near as many scrapes as normal, scrapes not getting refreshed, does running with fawns, nov has been warm, oct was cold, corn everywhere, beans not picked, strange year.

40 miles west of the TC's the rut seems non existent at this point. Saw 2 does with yearlings last night. No bucks, scrapes, or rubs around here. Alot of corn still up. Pretty excited to see corn heads on the combines! That should help push the deer to the woods. I haven't seen any deer around here all season. I am chalking it up to all the corn being in the field still. One of my stands is in a funnel between two large corn fields. A group of pheasant hunters ran the field. I could hear the deer moving in the field. They never ran out. Haven't seen that many deer when driving at dusk either. I'm hoping the rut is going to happen a little late this year versus somehow I missed it....

FYI, I average 2 deer a year and am usually filled out by now....

you guys are just in the wrong state

That's what I noticed too. I only saw 1 buck hounding a doe in a week of hunting. That was last saturday in the middle of a field. The does I did see were paired up with fawns or other does. I saw about 20 bucks in a week of hunting, most of them cruising but no chasing. I did see lots of scrapes though, and the ones I set up on had bucks hit them while I was in the stand.

Maybe next weekend will be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Bakdahelup View Post
    No. We actually have to use hunting skills to get deer here. We don't get the opportunity to pick from a "herd", wait for the dogs to run them to us, or turn on the feeder to lure them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakdahelup View Post
    I need to say that Ohio has some big deer though. I am going to hunt there next year too.....

i have seen very little activity so far this year. i dont think it has really started yet

nothing much going on here either where in central mn are you ?

I was wondering if the bucks are locked down with does right now. Hunted all day yesterday and this morning until about 10 and didn't see a dam thing. Very little shooting going on either. Friday afternoon/evening I got a picture of a nice 8 pt that seemed to be following a doe. Was hoping to run into him yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mathews Switchback
    Easton Superlite xx75's
    Muzzy's 125
    Trophy Ridge Sights
    Mathews Micro rest

The beginning of the season was excellent!! I shot a really nice 8 point opening night, a doe two weeks later. I think the temperatures had a lot to do with this change in movement/activity. October was a disappointing month with very cold temps, rain, etc. This i think helped turn the corn for perfect eating for the deer!! Beans and other crops turned faster than usual with the earlier frost so i just think that a combination of everything is caused the weird season. As far as rut activity, NOTHING!! i haven't seen any chasing, any bucks, hardly any does, etc. My brother shot a doe on 11/11 with no buck behind her This corn needs to come down!! I think everyone agrees that once this happens, bow hunting will be good again!! Just in time for "cheater" season to be done

I hope I'm wrong about it being over. I have three days this week to hunt then I'm out of state for the next couple of weeks. Maybe this cooler weather will get things moving again. Wish I was out today, but promised the day with the wife & in-laws.

I don't think it's over but, more like the weather has played a big role in the rut this year. Last week the temps were pretty much in the 50's all week and last weekend it was in the 60's. When it's that warm it pretty much shuts the rut down. It's been such a weird year though so who knows what the late season will bring it might be the best hunting the year.
    Mathews Switchback
    Easton Superlite xx75's
    Muzzy's 125
    Trophy Ridge Sights
    Mathews Micro rest

Nov. 4 in the Wadena area things were really popping. The boys and I seen 7 different bucks that day. I think we had a estrus doe wondering around in our 30 acres cause there were bucks all over! Then the weather warmed and way to much corn around.IMG_1310 (Small).JPG

IMG_1312 (Small).JPG

But it was too late we were allready taged out!!!
    We had a great season!
    Chuck
    Kanati Longbow 42lbs.

Around the willmar-sunburg area still seeing does with fawns, havent seen any bucks chaseing or scrapes yet also. But with the way things are going i doubt alot of firearms hunters filled thier tags, witch could mean bigger and better bucks next year. hope it gets cold soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast