Thread: good video camera for hunting

good video camera for hunting

my dad is looking for a good video camera to use while hunting and around house w/ granddaughter when not hunting. nothing professional grade just something you can buy at best buy or somewhere similar. i have one that i like but he doesn't b/c it doesn't have the eye piece to look through. on mine you find everything on the screen. he can't do this b/c he has to have reading glasses which makes it tough while hunting. any suggestions for good video camera?

Help me find something nice for family to give ole man for Christmas. Thanks in advance

Heres my suggestion, a Mini DV camcorder or DVD. I got on this year for hunting, and also aroudnthe house and whatever, wanted it to be small becuase it would be mounted to my bow.

Well my buddy has a Sony HC52? i think... or somehting like that, he bought it new from circuit city for aorund $300. I found this sony HC28 on ebay. Only differance I see was the zoom level. I got it for like $100 shipped. I think it was from a store going out of buisness, advertised as 'used' but not a sctahc, had every thing but the box. great little camera, i did this hunt with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3dqksjR_Ck

The clicking sound is from the camera. I think while shooting with it on the bow something got messed up in it. But cant blame the camcorder for that. I have another bowkill video from a double bull blind i need to edit and upload soon too.

Thats my suggestion, browse ebay for a good used camcorder in mini DV or DVD format. And get a firewire cable from ebay. I got a belkin firewire cable from staples for $35, looked on ebay bought the SAME ONE for $5 shipped. Returned the other to staples. Thats my suggestion, the way these camcorderd break and junk... i dont see the point in buying new, but rather a nice used.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. Any other suggestions?

suggestions

I just got a Panasonic SDR 26. I mounted to the front of my bow with a bowpix mount. It has a 70x Zoom and it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

I use a Sony Hanycam w/60x optical zoom. I mount it to a Gorilla camera arm and only $400 in the whole set-up brand new.
    55#/28.5"/Blacked out D340/Blk Octane hunter/LD Pro/Blk Tight Spot/Axcel Pro 5pin/ Axis 340s/Steelhead 125s = Deadly
    "Why we hunt is more important than when, where, or how" - Gene Wensel

thanks for the help guys. have been forwarding the newer suggestions to my dad since christmas has come and gone and he got something else as a present. let him do a little research and figure out what he wants

I have a Panasonic GS500. Works good!
    Zona recurve
    52# @ 26". 58" AMO
    Zona Recurve
    50# @ 28". 60" AMO

Canon HV30. By far the best camera for the money. You can get one off ebay $400 to $500. Its HD so the quality is outstanding!! You can get after market accessories for it too... like better lenses and microphones. Get a mic for it and you'll have one of the best little damn cameras out there!!!!!

i use a small sony handycam which is relatively inexpensive and works great, filmed 3 hog hunts on it saturday and they turned out perfect
    "Catch us if you can" Mathews Monter Social Club Member - Team #4 Gobbler Getters
    Blackout Mathews Monster 29/70 -Sword Apex 3rd Plane - Goldtip Ultralight 300 - Blazer Minis 1.5" - Carter 3D 2000 - Posten Stabilization - Battledrum Wraps - G5 Tekan - 330 fps / 94 ft.lbs. of K.E.