Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Polaris Ranger EV vs Bad Boy XT

Orange County, NY (Future Iowa Resident!)
    My EV has never been in the shop! The only thing I can see the BBB having over the EV is the rear seat. Would be nice to carry two more people in the back. Someday I might get a rear seat that goes in the bed of the EV. Let us know when you get your EV and how you like it compared to the BBB! Good luck!

Has anyone changed the tires of the EV for something more off road?

Quote Originally Posted by lou1947 View Post
    Has anyone changed the tires of the EV for something more off road?
    Yes, I changed to mud tires in the fall of last year adding 1 more inch of tread. I can go through much muddier terrain but you lose maybe 20% driving distance if there is moderate mud on the ground. It definitely made a huge difference for me because I can drive my dad, who is 86 years old, straight to the stand in a really muddy field. When it has been dry I still get about 1.6 hours of use out of the EV. Normally, if I hunt in the morning I charge the EV right after I get back home. That afternoon it's fully charged for an evening hunt. I will be glad to post video in a couple of weeks if you like. I am not at home right now.

I tried a demo out this last weekend. It is amazing where it will go and I loved almost everything about it but, how quick the charge when down. We had 200 pound in the back and 500 poounds of passengers, when took it up some very very steep trails, after 3.5 miles we were down to 1/3 charge. So I was worried about what it would be like in the winter, I hated to but I bought the gas model. It does seem to be more machine than the BBB

Well we picked up the Ev late last week and took it to the farm this weekend for opening weekend. The ride is much better than on the Bad Boy Classic. I would also say it has more torque. It went up every hill that I asked it to which there were some pretty step inclines. The BBB made it up these hills but had trouble, the EV would creep up the hills with no problem or slippage, I never tried to go fast up the hills. There was one hill that I have not tried yet bc I have not got the winch installed yet. I'm sure it will go up it but it had been raining and if it didn't make it I would have not had a winch to pull it out. It is going back to the dealership to get deeper tires and a winch this week. One thing the BBB did have over the Ev was the quietness. The ev seems to have a humm from the rear end especially under load. Is this normal? The BBB is totally silent. We were only getting one hour out of the batteries which was pretty concerning. Hopefully the battery life will get better. How long will your ev last on one battery charge? Overall I am very impressed with the EV compared to the BBB, just hope the battery life gets better. I also have a 700 efi 07' ranger. The ride on the 700 is better and it will do pretty much anything you want it to. I am hoping to test the EV out more in a couple weeks!! So far I am very impressed except for the battery life............

Quote Originally Posted by jason6517 View Post
    Well we picked up the Ev late last week and took it to the farm this weekend for opening weekend. The ride is much better than on the Bad Boy Classic. I would also say it has more torque. It went up every hill that I asked it to which there were some pretty step inclines. The BBB made it up these hills but had trouble, the EV would creep up the hills with no problem or slippage, I never tried to go fast up the hills. There was one hill that I have not tried yet bc I have not got the winch installed yet. I'm sure it will go up it but it had been raining and if it didn't make it I would have not had a winch to pull it out. It is going back to the dealership to get deeper tires and a winch this week. One thing the BBB did have over the Ev was the quietness. The ev seems to have a humm from the rear end especially under load. Is this normal? The BBB is totally silent. We were only getting one hour out of the batteries which was pretty concerning. Hopefully the battery life will get better. How long will your ev last on one battery charge? Overall I am very impressed with the EV compared to the BBB, just hope the battery life gets better. I also have a 700 efi 07' ranger. The ride on the 700 is better and it will do pretty much anything you want it to. I am hoping to test the EV out more in a couple weeks!! So far I am very impressed except for the battery life............
    To get maximum battery life i think it takes about 40 full charges to condition it. It's been a year and a half since i did this. I am up to 130 hours now. I get about 1.5 hours in "Max range" mode. The Ev will go up any hill no matter how steep. You might have to go into "High" mode but it will make it without any problem.

What are the "upgrades" that have been done since 2010? there are some new leftovers but i would hate to get one and find out the mad some major upgrades to the new ones. Does anyone know of any?

Anyone have a suggestion on a battery filling system for the EV?

Long delay on my post, but I'm hoping that someone may still be watching this thread and will have info on a battery filling system for the EV. I'm about to pull the trigger on a leftover 2011 EV, and the only thing that concerns me is the hassle involved in filling the many batteries.

Here's a couple of pic's of my HuntVe along side my old 3" lifted EZGO. I've had the HuntVe for about 2 years now and am very happy. I haven't driven a Polaris EV, but until they get a rear flip back seat it just wouldn't work for me. We shuffle too many kids around the neighborhood to loose the 3 kid spots the back seat offers. The suspension and steering on the HuntVe was the reasons I chose it over the BBB or the Stealth. In a couple of thep pic's you can see the full independent front suspension. It also has regenerative braking (charges the batteries when you let off the "gas"). So far it's been flawless and a workhorse. I put in a real nice bluetooth stereo and a subwoofer system in becasue I use it around the property when I'm working on projects. It get's more use than almost anything else I have on our property.

2012 Elite Answer 28", 61lbs, HHA Otimizer XL5510 .010, QAD HDX, Doinker Dish, Surgical 340's, Square-Up, QAD Exodus & Ulmer Edge Broadheads
    2008.5 Elite GT500 28", 62lbs, HHA OpimizerXL5510 .010, QADS HDX, Doinker Dish, Surgical 340's, Square-Up, QAD Exodus and Ulmer Edge Broadheads

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gunner View Post
    Long delay on my post, but I'm hoping that someone may still be watching this thread and will have info on a battery filling system for the EV. I'm about to pull the trigger on a leftover 2011 EV, and the only thing that concerns me is the hassle involved in filling the many batteries.
    My HuntVe has a single fill connector/pump that fills all the batteries at once and then "stops". You never have to undo the tops and check the level or pour distilled water into each battery. I believe this apperatus is available for most deep cycle batteries and costs about $60 or so. It's pretty nice.

2012 Elite Answer 28", 61lbs, HHA Otimizer XL5510 .010, QAD HDX, Doinker Dish, Surgical 340's, Square-Up, QAD Exodus & Ulmer Edge Broadheads
    2008.5 Elite GT500 28", 62lbs, HHA OpimizerXL5510 .010, QADS HDX, Doinker Dish, Surgical 340's, Square-Up, QAD Exodus and Ulmer Edge Broadheads

Timinator, is the Hunt VE full time four wheel drive like a BadBoyBuggy? How much more steering effort is required with the heavier front end and all with the Hunt VE than the EZGO? Thanks for posting!

I have had the bad boy classic model, I hated that thing, sold it, went and bought the first ranger ev that my dealer had, I guess it was a lemon, cause I had to replace the charger 2 times on it , other than that really no major problems with it. The battery life on mine was horrible, I took it back to the dealer several times, where I hunt, I couldnt get 4-5 miles at the most out of it, they said that theres nothing wrong with it? So why does Polaris advertise something like 30 miles on it? I did like the low med high transmission, and the ride was great. Maybe I bought a lemon, I sold it, and bought a stealth apache, it doesnt ride as good as the ranger, It does sit alot taller, and the range is great, I can go 5-10 times farther than the ranger did, I guess all electric models have their pros and cons, but I think now , I have the best one on the market, untill they come out with a hybrid model, then, I will prob get one of them, hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by extreme hunt View Post
    I have had the bad boy classic model, I hated that thing, sold it, went and bought the first ranger ev that my dealer had, I guess it was a lemon, cause I had to replace the charger 2 times on it , other than that really no major problems with it. The battery life on mine was horrible, I took it back to the dealer several times, where I hunt, I couldnt get 4-5 miles at the most out of it, they said that theres nothing wrong with it? So why does Polaris advertise something like 30 miles on it? I did like the low med high transmission, and the ride was great. Maybe I bought a lemon, I sold it, and bought a stealth apache, it doesnt ride as good as the ranger, It does sit alot taller, and the range is great, I can go 5-10 times farther than the ranger did, I guess all electric models have their pros and cons, but I think now , I have the best one on the market, untill they come out with a hybrid model, then, I will prob get one of them, hope this helps
    Man, you went through alot of trouble and cash to finally get a good electric model! Sounds like your Polaris dealer failed you on that EV. I always figured that would be the one, if I struck it rich. Until then, my EZ-GO that is lifted with bigger aggressive tires and a high torque upgrade is serving me pretty well. Wish the suspension was better, but it absolutely amazes me how much torque it has. Going electric has definitely been a plus for getting in and out quietly.

I actually thought someone had a hybrid model out this year, don't remember the brand. We will probably continue to see better models.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1 View Post

I actually thought someone had a hybrid model out this year, don't remember the brand. We will probably continue to see better models.
    http://www.titanutv.com/catalog/tita...out-h-series_7

Interesting!

Looks like Lee & Tiff dropped The Bad Boy buggies last year and went to Polaris! Glad to see they finally listened to me! lol. My EV is over 3 years old now and is still going strong! My batteries won't hold a charge like they used to because I let the water level in batteries get to low. I will replace the batteries next year and make sure I monitor the water level! Other than that I still love my EV! Best piece of hunting equipment I ever bought!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightforce View Post
    I just heard from my dealer...i was close on pricing. They do have 4 different kits for the EV...depending on the supply you want. The 9.6KWh kit will cost $7725 plus $800 shipping plus $400 install fee at dealer. This 9.6KWh kit gives double the range (up to 100 miles on a charge) of the original lead acid battery system. This does have the 10 year life...6-8 week delivery time frame. The 19.2 KWh kit is $14,900. From my research these LiFeP04 batteries operate well in hot and very cold conditions. I believe the (8) 12V LiFeP04 batteries that make up the 9.6KWh kit are comprise of (32) 3.2V 200Ah battery cells. Most of this is over my head haha. I actually will consider getting this in a few weeks...i don't want to be the first guinea pig. The company that makes/sells these lithium batteries just inked a deal a few months ago to be the supplier for the Wheego electric car. Surely the prices will come down some over the next 2 years.
    Did you ever get the Lithium Battery kit? Just wondering if price has come down. Thanks.

I have been hearing horror stories on the batteries. Any updates from owners?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxemus View Post
    I have been hearing horror stories on the batteries. Any updates from owners?
    Batteries will not last if you don't maintain them with the proper water level. I learned the hard way but I still love my EV! I will replace my batteries next year and this time I will maintain them.

[QUOTE=rebbie;1068129519]Batteries will not last if you don't maintain them with the proper water level. I learned the hard way but I still love my EV! I will replace my batteries next year and this time I will maintain them.[/QUOTEi]

rebbie, it's great to hear you still love the EV. I have been hoping it would live up to it's expectations and Polaris' advertising claims. I have heard others say there was no way they could get 50 miles out of a fresh charge and good batteries, even on level terrain with non-aggressive driving. Can you tell us your experience? Also, just for fun, what is the most extreme thing about your experience with it? What will it do that amazed you?

I have an electric EZ-GO that we gradually had modified over the years and we love it. I can't believe what it will do and yours should be head and shoulders better than ours.

Also, has anyone seen any recent youtube videos of the EV that show how impressive it is? I'm really interested in them, even though there is no way I could buy one right now. It's fun to dream big!

Quote Originally Posted by rebbie View Post
    Looks like Lee & Tiff dropped The Bad Boy buggies last year and went to Polaris! Glad to see they finally listened to me! lol. My EV is over 3 years old now and is still going strong! My batteries won't hold a charge like they used to because I let the water level in batteries get to low. I will replace the batteries next year and make sure I monitor the water level! Other than that I still love my EV! Best piece of hunting equipment I ever bought!
    Lee & Tiff will drive whatever their sponsors give them, so don't let that be any indicator....or not.....of quality. They used to be all-in with John Deere tractors too. Then NH came along and gave em a bunch of new tractors to drive. Now they're all about New Hollands.

That said, I've had an EV since 2010 and think they're a great machine....as long as your expectations are reasonable. My experience has been horrible on time/distance/use on fully charged batteries. The vehicle is also slow, compared to a fuel machine, if you have any distance to travel on public roads. Off-road, the quietness still amazes me....and the torque is probably the most impressive/surprising feature. These things can go about straight up, in 4WD and lowest gearing.

I'm hoping that Polaris will soon come out with some kind of "hybrid" that will be faster on the roads, charge the batts via an alternator while on that mode, but then allow you to slip into the EV mode when you need to. This should really be the ulimate UTV, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bowslam View Post
    Lee & Tiff will drive whatever their sponsors give them, so don't let that be any indicator....or not.....of quality. They used to be all-in with John Deere tractors too. Then NH came along and gave em a bunch of new tractors to drive. Now they're all about New Hollands.

That said, I've had an EV since 2010 and think they're a great machine....as long as your expectations are reasonable. My experience has been horrible on time/distance/use on fully charged batteries. The vehicle is also slow, compared to a fuel machine, if you have any distance to travel on public roads. Off-road, the quietness still amazes me....and the torque is probably the most impressive/surprising feature. These things can go about straight up, in 4WD and lowest gearing.

I'm hoping that Polaris will soon come out with some kind of "hybrid" that will be faster on the roads, charge the batts via an alternator while on that mode, but then allow you to slip into the EV mode when you need to. This should really be the ulimate UTV, in my opinion.
    I heard that the bbb hybrid did not sell well and didn't turn out to be any good

Quote Originally Posted by bowslam View Post

bowslam, I think Polaris was advertising the EV as having a top speed of 30mph while the 400 gas counterpart was rated at 40 mph. What's the top speed you are seeing? Have had any experience putting it through serious mud and/or snow? Thanks so much for educating us on what sounds like a good deer hunting machine!

I have a 48V HuntVe 4x that I hunt with and use here on my property. Battery maintenance is very important. My HuntVe came with a "watering" system hooked to all the batteries. I put clip onto the inlet of the system with the provided hand pump and put the end of that into a gallon of DI water then just pump and it fills all the batteries at once then stops. I unplug the no-leak, sealed connection and I'm good to go. Takes literally less than a minute to top off all 8 6V batteries.

Regarding batteries; buy Trojan T-105's. As much as I love Costco and Sam's, or anywhere else, if you want the best 6V golf cart batteries out there buy only Trojan T-105 batteries. They will last longer and give you more available amps of power than any other battery out there. You should be able to get them for $100-115 apiece with your old ones as trade-in's. I've had several golf carts ad electric vehicles and have used them with solar systems and in motorhomes. The just plain work. The others, not so much.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast