Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm Bag or Heater Body Suit?

Warm Bag or Heater Body Suit?

I'm considering getting either a Warm Bag or Heater Body Suit and wondering about pros & cons of each. Anyone have any suggestions? I've looked at both online & I can see that each has it's advantages & disadvantages. I like the insulation of the HBS, but don't like the bulk. I like the arm opening system of the WB, but don't know if it will be warm enough. I want to use it in MN at the end of December so it has to be warm enough to handle temps at or below 0. Water repellant fabric is important, but not crucial. I'm not too concerned because most precipitation when I'm using it will be dry snow.

Thanks in advance for the input.

ttt

Hbs

Why not select a sleeping Bag of your choice and either fashion your own suspenders or buy them and sew buttons inside of bag. If you go w/ Mummy style bag you can buy a Gore Tex Bivy to go over and keep dry (Sportsmans Guide) This is what I do Tree Stand hunting and stay warm and dry! @ 1/3 the price. Just a thought.
    06 Ally, Vital Gear, Ripcord, Deluxe Lore Stabalizer, Mean V2 CSS, Dbbl. Slingbraid, Maxima Hunters, Muzzys, Vapor Trail, Jack's Archery Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Double R View Post
    Why not select a sleeping Bag of your choice and either fashion your own suspenders or buy them and sew buttons inside of bag. If you go w/ Mummy style bag you can buy a Gore Tex Bivy to go over and keep dry (Sportsmans Guide) This is what I do Tree Stand hunting and stay warm and dry! @ 1/3 the price. Just a thought.
    Thats a great Idea I might have to try that.

Bags

Look up heater boy suits on here. there is a reply made by the Tax Lawer that is very helpful. He has both brands of bags. I sent a e-mail with some question and the answers were very helpful in make a desion on what to buy.

I have a Warmbag but I have the HBS on the way. I find the Warmbag noisy and the zipper idea for the arm holes is useless IMHO. It is, however, warm, light weight and easy to pack to the stand or blind.
    '10 Elite Z28 60# Limb Driver, Vital Gear Startrack, Anchor Sight, Octane stabilizer
    '11 Elite Hunter 71# G5 Expert Pro, Anchor Sight, VBG sight, Stokerized
    '12 Elite Answer 60# Ninja, Elite Stokerized
    All 27.5" DL

Quote Originally Posted by Double R View Post
    Sportsmans Guide has a Digital Camo bag for $29.97 could be the ticket.

21 inchs at your feet on that mummy bag, that does not give you enough room hunting to wiggle your toes.

I think you'd do better with a rectangular bag.
    Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

you are correct on that.i use a wal-mart camo bag for 16 dollars.it fits real nice and you can move your feet somewhat. i sewed on elastic shoulder straps to hold it up.it only goes down to freezing but i use it and it works good.
    those mummy type bags will be very tight on feet/shoulders.

Well, it may only go down to freezing, but if you had on a jacket or sweatshirt, you'd probably be good for a lot lower than freezing.
    Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

I'm also in MN and have the HBS you will not get cold in it. The only thing I don't like is it's scary to get into it when using a portable stand 25' up in the tree

I have only used the Warmbag while hunting, and I stayed warm with it in December here in MN..I loved how light it was and easy to pack in. Still unsure about the arm hole things, but with quiter zippers it might be alright. I also borrowed a friends HBS to try out in the backyard, and I liked it, but it is MUCH heavier and bulkier. Not sure how I feel about carrying it to and and from the stand, especially when packing everything in and out during the late season. If you are wondering how much movement is involved with both of these products, take a look at my testing video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn7v0kr2ToM

Even after the testing, I am still undecided on which to buy, but maybe the video can help you decide...
    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks...

Quote Originally Posted by rmomn View Post
    I'm also in MN and have the HBS you will not get cold in it. The only thing I don't like is it's scary to get into it when using a portable stand 25' up in the tree
    yes, you folks do get cold out there,for sure.thats where the HBS would work very good.i used a camo kids sleeping bag for years and it was easy to get on because it had zipper down side. i paid 16 dollars at wal-mart.

now i use 3 size larger coveralls and it WORKS GREAT .i can move my feet on stand and very light to pack in and easy to get on.got it on sale was 229 dollars for coveralls ,paid 109 dollars.but you have to buy the BOOT BLANKETS for your feet at price of 29 dollars on sale.

so, i have 138 dollars in my HEATER BODY SUIT.i like WB but will not pay over 200 for it.....................

HBS all the way for me. I like the design much better. It's quiet, fast and completely out of your way when shooting. As far as carrying it, no problem with the straps provided. I carry a pack and my HBS. it's the best option out there in my opinion and makes everything so much more enjoyable when the weather starts getting colder. I can hike in with lighter clothing, preventing sweating and just slip in the suit when I get to my stand. I've never been cold using it and I've hunted some extremely cold weather. I literaly don't have any negative feedback on the HBS. I've been using one for the last three seasons and it has exceeded my expectations. I was skeptical at first so I called the company and asked a lot of questions before I placed my order. After talking with them and knowing if I did get cold I could return it for a refund, I was sold.

It's the best piece of hunting gear I have ever bought and it can be directly attributed to many of the deer I've taken in the past few years. It makes an all day sit in December comfortable. Wish I would have had one twenty years ago.
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsjet49 View Post
    Look up heater boy suits on here. there is a reply made by the Tax Lawer that is very helpful. He has both brands of bags. I sent a e-mail with some question and the answers were very helpful in make a desion on what to buy.
    don't believe a word tax lawyer says, he's a cronic liar... hahaha, j/k paul is a very good guy and can give you a good view of both.

As for me, i have the warmbag, and my only complaint is the side zippers. It was plenty warm, and I talked to Joe, and they're working on a silent in and out for the arm holes. If they get that together, the product will be top notch.

The lack of bulkiness is very nice too. gun hunting, i'll take the warmbag hands down, but there are positives and negatives to both for bowhunting.

I will say, the owner of Warmbag is a good guy, and if you're not satisfied, he'll refund you, no problem
    Team 11- Caped & Quartered

Yes, we're just that good.

I have not tried a HBS but do have the Warm Bag... I used the WB in below 0 degree weather for many hunts here in E. Central IL. In fact a lot of it was in the neg. teens with wind chill. While on stand I was comfortable... the problem was to and from the stand! That is when I froze.

As far as what I wore while in the bag I sort of used the HBS chart as a guide. But I will give you a break down.

Base layer was compression LS top and short bottoms to wick sweat away.
    2nd layer was LJ knit top and light weight long bottom.
    3rd layer Cotton trtl neck LS top and polpro LJ bottom
    4th layer Camo jean bottom and camo LS chamois top
    Final layer Cabela's Dimension fleece WindShear top and Browning Hydrofleece bottom.
    Feet, silk liner sock, merino wool med weight sock, 1500 grm LaCrosse Alpha Burley.
    Hands, 40 grm cabela's camoskinz.

It sounds like a lot but these really are thin layers and probably could be thinner and warmer with better products for base layers. As it was I actual was cold in and out of the stand in the neg. teen days. Once I got into the WB I was warm, hands did not suffer at all.

The wind was blocked and did not suffer at all! I would recommend the WB.

Now I did have some difficulty with the arm slots but not much after some practice. Most of the time though I left them open but during the really bitter times I zipped up.

Most of my hunting was done 4 layers... compression layer, light LJ's, jean and shirt, and a waterproof non-insulated bib and top. Feet were the same except weight of boot.

Love my WB! I would not have been out in the really bitter cold if not for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cornfedkiller View Post
    I have only used the Warmbag while hunting, and I stayed warm with it in December here in MN..I loved how light it was and easy to pack in. Still unsure about the arm hole things, but with quiter zippers it might be alright. I also borrowed a friends HBS to try out in the backyard, and I liked it, but it is MUCH heavier and bulkier. Not sure how I feel about carrying it to and and from the stand, especially when packing everything in and out during the late season. If you are wondering how much movement is involved with both of these products, take a look at my testing video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn7v0kr2ToM

Even after the testing, I am still undecided on which to buy, but maybe the video can help you decide...
    Maaaaan, you stopped right at the best part of the song!
    Seriously though, good video. It gave a fair comparison of the pros and cons of putting each of them on, and shooting in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatland Hunter View Post
    I have not tried a HBS but do have the Warm Bag... I used the WB in below 0 degree weather for many hunts here in E. Central IL. In fact a lot of it was in the neg. teens with wind chill. While on stand I was comfortable... the problem was to and from the stand! That is when I froze.

As far as what I wore while in the bag I sort of used the HBS chart as a guide. But I will give you a break down.

Base layer was compression LS top and short bottoms to wick sweat away.
    2nd layer was LJ knit top and light weight long bottom.
    3rd layer Cotton trtl neck LS top and polpro LJ bottom
    4th layer Camo jean bottom and camo LS chamois top
    Final layer Cabela's Dimension fleece WindShear top and Browning Hydrofleece bottom.
    Feet, silk liner sock, merino wool med weight sock, 1500 grm LaCrosse Alpha Burley.
    Hands, 40 grm cabela's camoskinz.

It sounds like a lot but these really are thin layers and probably could be thinner and warmer with better products for base layers. As it was I actual was cold in and out of the stand in the neg. teen days. Once I got into the WB I was warm, hands did not suffer at all.

The wind was blocked and did not suffer at all! I would recommend the WB.

Now I did have some difficulty with the arm slots but not much after some practice. Most of the time though I left them open but during the really bitter times I zipped up.

Most of my hunting was done 4 layers... compression layer, light LJ's, jean and shirt, and a waterproof non-insulated bib and top. Feet were the same except weight of boot.

Love my WB! I would not have been out in the really bitter cold if not for it.
    boy, thats a lot of clothes you put on.too many for me.you should use my idea. get soft pair of insulated coveralls, dont have to be camo because you are inside the suit.just use a pair of underarmour under coveralls.dont make the coveralls real loose.you could walk in with coveralls and open zipper to stay cool walking in.

i use coverall instead of WB/HBS but 3 sizes bigger and it works fine.i like your WB but will not pay 264 dollars for one. take care sproul

Just a heads up guys The Warmbag is now taking orders for Mossy Oak Treestand. We are offering it in Large, Extra large and "Grizzly" (a much wider version for the largest predators in the woods). Limited quanties are being produced for the 2010 season and all Mossy Oak Treestand orders will ship approx August 31st.

Stay warm out there guys!

Quote Originally Posted by sproulman View Post
    boy, thats a lot of clothes you put on.too many for me.you should use my idea. get soft pair of insulated coveralls, dont have to be camo because you are inside the suit.just use a pair of underarmour under coveralls.dont make the coveralls real loose.you could walk in with coveralls and open zipper to stay cool walking in.

i use coverall instead of WB/HBS but 3 sizes bigger and it works fine.i like your WB but will not pay 264 dollars for one. take care sproul
    Like I said, thin layers... and only on the coldest days. Single digits and below.

Most of the time I am hunting in compression layer to wick moisture, light weight LJ's, camo jeans and shirt, and rain/wind non-insulated outer gear when needed. Even in the very coldest days, with the layers I described above I am not bulky, in fact in the neg teen wind chill weather I froze on the way out to the stand and setting up. I am cheap and probably would be better served with UA or Sitka gear and wouldn't have to have so many thin layers.

The Warm Bag eliminated bulk for the temp range that I mostly hunt. No longer the bulky insulated bibs and 6 and 1 coat. While feet and hands freeze. Feet and hands were comfortable... until I had to stick them out!

South Hadley, Massachusetts, United States
    Wonder if that "new" size is for me... (check name)

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois59 View Post
    Just a heads up guys The Warmbag is now taking orders for Mossy Oak Treestand. We are offering it in Large, Extra large and "Grizzly" (a much wider version for the largest predators in the woods). Limited quanties are being produced for the 2010 season and all Mossy Oak Treestand orders will ship approx August 31st.

Stay warm out there guys!

46 years hunting

its funny, all these years and getting cold .we wore wool for as long as i can remember.but we never sat all day. most of hunting in pa. then was driving deer,so you never sat too long.
    i used to work in worst weather.i was only one that wore COVERALLS .most wore bibs/top parka type.
    both of us were warm BUT my coveralls were lighter and not heavy jacket.i was less tired then my buddies who wore the bibs/jacket,they were bulky and got tired quicker.

what i never did until i saw idea of the warmbag .then a light went off in my head. why could i not just get coveralls and make them like 3 sizes bigger and i could pull my arms inside and out same way thru sleeves.......
    so i set out to try it and it worked great.
    only problem i had was i could not find way to keep my feet warmer.until i found the BOOT BLANKETS.they were on sale at cabelas for 29 dollars.
    we tested my idea with just cheap wal-mart coveralls for 30 dollars,well they were 60 ,so i guess not cheap made , i meant cheaper price.

they worked great ,in fact i have set on now to go outside while i type,they are getting hot.i cant get that feeling with a hunting parka on. air goes up the back of parka while sitting, thats no good.
    leaving the sleeves on my coveralls, so far is working fine .but i may cut those off and use magnets instead.
    i never thought of bigger size coveralls all these years, i usally got my size because i used them walking in.now i carry these in ,very light and i can walk around in stand.
    also i use them to clean deer if real cold.after done then i take it off and use clothes inside to go out.
    actually a real light SOFT pair of coveralls to your size works UNREAL inside the bigger coveralls. i just use underarmour and soft coveralls.i use soft ones to walk in and out of woods.just zipper down to stay cool walking in dark at 5 degrees..

take care sproul

Quote Originally Posted by Flatland Hunter View Post
    Like I said, thin layers... and only on the coldest days. Single digits and below.

Most of the time I am hunting in compression layer to wick moisture, light weight LJ's, camo jeans and shirt, and rain/wind non-insulated outer gear when needed. Even in the very coldest days, with the layers I described above I am not bulky, in fact in the neg teen wind chill weather I froze on the way out to the stand and setting up. I am cheap and probably would be better served with UA or Sitka gear and wouldn't have to have so many thin layers.

The Warm Bag eliminated bulk for the temp range that I mostly hunt. No longer the bulky insulated bibs and 6 and 1 coat. While feet and hands freeze. Feet and hands were comfortable... until I had to stick them out!
    listen to ole sproul.find a very soft insulated or not coveralls.use just underarmour and the coveralls. get coveralls that fit you not real loose but not tight.your going to use those to walk in/out and USE UNDER YOUR WARMBAG.

as you walk in you pull zipper down to stay cool, get to your summit treestand, zip it up to stay warm while climbing,then climb into your warmbag or heater body suit.

this will save you all that LAYERING.i have more ideas but i sometimes talk too much.......

Quote Originally Posted by sproulman View Post
    listen to ole sproul.find a very soft insulated or not coveralls.use just underarmour and the coveralls. get coveralls that fit you not real loose but not tight.your going to use those to walk in/out and USE UNDER YOUR WARMBAG.

as you walk in you pull zipper down to stay cool, get to your summit treestand, zip it up to stay warm while climbing,then climb into your warmbag or heater body suit.

this will save you all that LAYERING.i have more ideas but i sometimes talk too much.......
    I understand what it is you are now saying... I have had that thought as well. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast