Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: screaming sound in the woods at night?

screaming sound in the woods at night?

I was camping in the Shawnee forest in southern Illinois over the weekend and heard a "screaming noise" in the woods at night. I have heard this before but never figured out what it was. It doesn't have a screachy tone to it, it is more of a scream that last about 3 or 4 seconds. Any ideas?

If it sounded like a woman screaming it could have been a rabbit meeting its maker.
    "Game Destroyer" 09 PSE Omen 29/76 | QAD HDX | Trophy Ridge React | 12" Doinker D.I.S.H | Muddy HT-1 .300 .001 495gr w/ Helios Vanes | Grim Reaper Whitetail Special | 311fps 106.4KE
    MY BROTHER IS FINALLY CANCER FREE!!!

Screech Owl, Porcupine...

Foxes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVLvw-LhWyQ

Is that what you heard?
    2010 Hoyt Maxxis 35 29"/63 lb
    -Copper John Dead Nuts Pro, Whisker Biscuit, Eastman Carbon Stab, Treelimb Premium Quiver, 60X stings, G5 peep
    -Harvest Time Harvester HT2s, 125gr G5 Montec CS (375 Gr)
    -293 fps

Sounds like a woman or child screaming? Sounds like a fox. I have seen grown men leave the woods in fear over this sound.

bobcats scream like that sometimes.

also, could be someone screaming. lol

The sound had more of a wistle sound to it. The fox and owl sounds I listened to were more of a "screach" than the sound I heard in the woods. I don't know how to describe it. I had a guy tell me it was a doe, but I can't find any does sounds on the net that sound like this.

that's strange I heard a scream the other night in my woods. I was letting my dog out and both of us just stood there and listened to it. freaked me out to.
    I asked a few guys at work about it . some said bob cat and fox.
    all I know is that I do have a lot of fox at my place but I have never heard that sound before.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Cougars, bobcats, and peacocks all make sounds very much like women screaming (peacock sounds like a woman calling "help", from any distance).

Fox calls...have to be an interesting confluence of distance, weather conditions, and predisposition towards being spooked to hear their call as human screams.

Owls are kind of distinctive sounding, though you CAN mistake them for human cries, if it's a species you are unfamiliar with, and conditions are just right.

Since you've heard this several tiems, on different nights, I wouldn't expect that it's one of the "under the right conditions, it sounds human" calls...

Thus I'd expect bobcat, cougar/panther/american puma(they're reestablishing MANY places, including some having made it back to the FL Everglades), or possibly an owl species you haven't, heretofore, been acquainted with.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchersPop View Post
    Cougars, bobcats, and peacocks all make sounds very much like women screaming (peacock sounds like a woman calling "help", from any distance).

Fox calls...have to be an interesting confluence of distance, weather conditions, and predisposition towards being spooked to hear their call as human screams.

Owls are kind of distinctive sounding, though you CAN mistake them for human cries, if it's a species you are unfamiliar with, and conditions are just right.

Since you've heard this several tiems, on different nights, I wouldn't expect that it's one of the "under the right conditions, it sounds human" calls...

Thus I'd expect bobcat, cougar/panther/american puma(they're reestablishing MANY places, including some having made it back to the FL Everglades), or possibly an owl species you haven't, heretofore, been acquainted with.
    +1 what Pop said.

..... that or the local cultists are ritually sacrificing young virgin girls in your woods......
    Progressivism is a keg of communism sold by the drink.

Man is the only animal that detests his own scent.

Quote Originally Posted by fixerupper View Post
    +1 what Pop said.

..... that or the local cultists are ritually sacrificing young virgin girls in your woods......
    Religious based sacrifice is such a heck of a waste of perfectly good virgins. It makes me want to cry.

I offer my services to anyone who wants to make their daughter safe from such sacrifices. It's a totally free public service.
    "Odocoileus Virginianus"-Mother Nature's original fast food
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, Hate me because I'm way smarter than you Juan.
    Steelers in 2015!!!!

I remember the first time I heard a peacock screaming as a kid- I was sure it was a woman crying for "Help!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvtThNecHeg

I think the barred owl makes a lot of sounds that have a human quality (especially in a yelling/laughing/howling family of sounds (sound almost like howler monkeys)- they have a broad vocabulary of calls- and a lot of "ha ha" and "who-waaahh" as opposed to "hoot hoot" but I can't say there is a whistle.

The Easter Screech Owl has a whistle-y sort of voice... but when compared to a human sound I would call it weeping or crying instead of screaming.

Here is a link to audio recordings done by a Bigfoot researcher in IL- he has a collection of bird and mammal sounds you might check out... he has a ton of Barred Owl recordings

http://www.stancourtney.com/birds.html
    http://www.stancourtney.com/wordpress/birds/mammals/

heard what i thought sounded like screaming myself a couple weeks ago...ended up being coyotes. came right under my stand, and made the noise, so i'm sure.

deer scream too, i was out scouting the summer and jumped 4 deer, one or more of them let out a scream that scared the crap outta me.

I would like to hear a sound byte of a deer screeming to see if it is the same. I can't find one on the net.

I have heard a group of raccoons fighting over food at night. The sound is something of a scream, very loud and eerie....they don't share very well.
    "crackerized" '06,'07 Tributes:wife,kids,dogs,: !everybody needs a new EXperience!!?? not necessarily in that order
    "At no time is freedom of speech more precious than when a man hits his thumb with a hammer."
    I wish I was at http://www.lagunavistaranch.com/contact.html(Jed is out of Crown)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX0K9...eature=related
    If you do a search on youtube for "deer scream" or "deer sounds" you will get a bunch of results... the link I posted is from Japan, and I don't know what kind of deer that is- or if it was an adult deer- I know that baby deer make a mewing sound almost exactly like a newborn kitten... and this deer's noise seems like a midpoint between a mew and a doe bleat. The Kansas screaming deer video is a joke- but it's funny- it would sure scare me in the woods!

sitting in my ground blind in baldwin last year i swore i had a bunch of monkeys bearing down on me. then i heard a bunch of screams also.....turned out to be a crow. it landed in a dead oak about 50 yards in front of me and continued making those sounds.

lion

they make the hair on the back of my neck standup!

If you ever see a raccoon sneak up if you can and scare it -- see if its the same thing, they sound funny.

We heard foxes screaming this summer it was very strange to say the least

Sasquatch

Talking screaming:::

sound like it could be a mink or maybe a pine martin

panther!
    mathews monster
    easton acc's
    carter releases
    sure loc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast