Thread: Deer picks up front leg when shot, What do you think?

Deer picks up front leg when shot, What do you think?

Yes this is about a rifle shot situation, so please excuse me.

Over the years Ive hit 3-4 deer that when struck immediately pick their front shoulder up. 3 of the deer I never found. One doe did the same thing. Luckily there was snow on the ground or we would have never found her. Bullet hit right at the shoulder, clipped a lung and came out in front of the off side leg.

Last night my sister in law hit a 160 plus class buck that acted the same way. Picked the leg up at impact, stood for a few seconds, then bolted. The blood trail was good for about 50 yards, stopped and they found it in another 25 or so, continued for another 25 yards then stopped. At the last spot there was a piece of tissue 2-3 inches long, darker blood in this spot.

The shot was around 150 yards and she cant remember if the deer had an angle on her or not. She was using ballistic tips (which IMO are about worthless on deer, yeah I know lots of kills with them, but kinda like Rage IMO) and Im thinking the bullet exploded on the shoulder, and didnt penetrate. She said it looked like it was only bleeding out of one side.

Just wondering what you think and if leg raising usually indicates a certain type of hit.

Thanks

Probably shot in the leg.
    David

Not really sure where it hit, but I'm guessing it hit the meat part above the spine or between the spine and the lungs.

The same thing happenned to me last Friday when I shot a big buck. Not sure exactly where I hit it, but it didn't kick with its hind legs; instead it did the horse gallop thing, front legs kicking/cycling, and took off. Didn't find blood until about 100 yrds later. The blood just trickled here and there and then looked good for another 100 yrds, but then at the end we bumped him and he took off. Never found him.

What kind of gun was she shooting?I think like said above she hit it at the top of the back.I have seen this before a friend shot a doe and it hit her high in the back she picked her front leags up and fell to the ground thhe got up and ran never found the deer and there was some blood but not much for the first 50 yards and that was it.

From my experiance when a deer pics its leg up it usually means its broken. As for blood on one side if the intrance or exit wound is high there wont be much blood coming out. The deer bleeds out inside. If she shot it in the shoulder blade I would say that deer is dead. Very leathel shot.

Smile ....

I think all deer lift up their legs when they run?

Just kidding. I have seen them do this when hit in the shoulder. Please don't tell me it was a .22-250, .223, or .243 with a ballistic tip. I know they will work but I don't like such a small caliber. If this was a 30-06 and it was shot in the shoulder I feel like it will die quickly if indeed it was in the shoulder.
    Go Hogs Go! Arkansas Razorbacks!

I think the deer picked up there legs because it hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by VonH View Post
    Yes this is about a rifle shot situation, so please excuse me.

Over the years Ive hit 3-4 deer that when struck immediately pick their front shoulder up. 3 of the deer I never found. One doe did the same thing. Luckily there was snow on the ground or we would have never found her. Bullet hit right at the shoulder, clipped a lung and came out in front of the off side leg.

Last night my sister in law hit a 160 plus class buck that acted the same way. Picked the leg up at impact, stood for a few seconds, then bolted. The blood trail was good for about 50 yards, stopped and they found it in another 25 or so, continued for another 25 yards then stopped. At the last spot there was a piece of tissue 2-3 inches long, darker blood in this spot.

The shot was around 150 yards and she cant remember if the deer had an angle on her or not. She was using ballistic tips (which IMO are about worthless on deer, yeah I know lots of kills with them, but kinda like Rage IMO) and Im thinking the bullet exploded on the shoulder, and didnt penetrate. She said it looked like it was only bleeding out of one side.

Just wondering what you think and if leg raising usually indicates a certain type of hit.

Thanks
    lower leg shot

Quote Originally Posted by 1/4ing away View Post
    I think all deer lift up their legs when they run?

Just kidding. I have seen them do this when hit in the shoulder. Please don't tell me it was a .22-250, .223, or .243 with a ballistic tip. I know they will work but I don't like such a small caliber. If this was a 30-06 and it was shot in the shoulder I feel like it will die quickly if indeed it was in the shoulder.
    i agree,270=7mm08=30-06 the ballistic tip is devastateing(sp?) they give great hydro effect in the chest cavity
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar63 View Post
    I applaud all you ethical, wonderful, bad@ss AT'ers....
    sent from my etch a sketch

Well first problem, switch to a Pointed Soft Point but now I would say that she hit it directly in the shoulder. Which the muscle would have closed around the wound and the dark blood is the blood clotting and it just blew a piece out I have had that happen on lower leg shots where you hit the artery, the let starts to clot and blows it out

Quote Originally Posted by Stab 'em View Post
    I think the deer picked up there legs because it hurt!
    Good one there captain Obvious.

When you say lower leg shot, how low are you talking?

The caliber is .250 Savage, which is more than sufficient with the right bullet construction. She has killed plenty with this gun and her .243. I dont buy into the .243 is too small argument. I shoot a Sierra 100 grain Semi Point out of my .243 and it is a lethal round. Period. Major destruction. Shoots 1/2 MOA or better every group also.

In fact Ive never not recovered a deer with my .243 and the few I havent recovered were all shot with a 30.06.

To take it a step further, if the .243/.250 class calibers are deficient for deer use, then there are plenty of 7mm-30 caliber rounds deficient as well. Look a ballistics chart. To each his own on this subject. Any caliber has its limitations, end of story.

By the way, I'll never use a ballistic tip out of any caliber on deer. 7 mag, 300 mag, dont care. The accubond is a much better bullet and flies just as well.

to each his own,everyone has a love-hate with certain cals.from experance i find most use to heavy of bullet on whitetail,exsample,150 grn bullet from 30-06 will expand fully and deliver full shock in a deer, where as a 180 grn.will expand but not as fully becuse it has a heavier jacket,thus you lose alot of it's shocking power. the reason i like ballitic tips is becuse of its fast expandtion rate in the right bullet weight. as for the deer lifting it's leg, is it possable that the bullet was alittle high and went tru the dead zone where it,s too low to hit the spine but too high to do any lung damage? that might cause the deer to lift it's front leg just from the pain factor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar63 View Post
    I applaud all you ethical, wonderful, bad@ss AT'ers....
    sent from my etch a sketch

apashooter87 Guest
    try a 300 win mag, the exit hole is bigger than a golf ball. It will drop anything that you point it at

A Deer could not absorb that much energy and stand still.

If the Deer stood still with leg lifted at impact, most likely it is a lower leg hit.
    With a 250 caliber at 150 yards, a Ballistic tip would never completely penetrate a deer of that size. Especially the Shoulder area. The shock alone would have caused it to run immediately or knocked it down.
    Click ''Here'' for a chance to win!