Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: I know the B50 vs. fast flight has been beaten to death

  1. #1

    I know the B50 vs. fast flight has been beaten to death

    I'm out of B50

    Need new material spools



    But will fast flight damage a self bow?

    I can use it on most of the bow types I do/will use, but the self bow I'm not so sure about.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    394
    I know people who've used FF on their self bows for a good while without issues. I personally don't, but that's just me.

  3. #3
    FF is louder if I recall is it not? Because of the low stretch?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Beaver Falls, PA
    Posts
    8,576
    On my personal hunting bows (all wooden bows), I ONLY use FF. It is usually more quiet, and causes very little damage unless I mess up (and that's on self tips- I rarely use overlays anymore), doesn't stretch, and lasts much longer. I'll enevr put another B-50 string on one of my hunting bows ever again.

    Even on my 80+# bows I don't always use overlays. I just pad the loops with a little B-50. Frankly, I think selfbows are less at risk than modern recurves that have a more violent recoil.

  5. #5
    So if I pad my loops (wrap them in b-50 I'm assuming?) or overlay the tips FF should be fine?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Beaver Falls, PA
    Posts
    8,576
    Quote Originally Posted by wis_archer View Post
    So if I pad my loops (wrap them in b-50 I'm assuming?) or overlay the tips FF should be fine?
    Yup. By "padding" I mean I just twist in a few strands of Dacron when laying up the Flemmish loop. On the bottom end I twist in some strands straight, so I can tie a Bowyer's knot.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Shermans Dale, PA
    Posts
    439
    I use D-97 on everything, both flemish & endless, and on my selfbows too. Osage, Hickory, and BBO & BBH> I shoot 10 strand on selfbows at about 38-42#, and 8 strand on my target bows, both LB & curve, 35-38#. Bill G.
    Instinctor since 1958
    Shermans Dale, PA
    The older I get, the faster I was

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    1,127
    My advice is to check with the bowyer who made the bow, he will know if he designed the bow can take it, it's not just the limb tips that fail, riser's can also fail if the wrong string is used.

  9. #9
    I've used D97 exclusively on selfbows for last decade. 100+ bows and never an issue.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by LongStick64 View Post
    My advice is to check with the bowyer who made the bow, he will know if he designed the bow can take it, it's not just the limb tips that fail, riser's can also fail if the wrong string is used.
    I am the bowyer

    Learning little by little what to and what not to do

  11. #11
    D-97 is good stuff. It's easy to make very good flemish strings with D-97. I made D-97 strings for my GM ll and one of my longbows. But I also use B-50. I use classic nocks and it's much eaiser to get a good fit with B-50 12 strand stings, IMHO.

    I have several spools of B500, it's the same as B-50 and makes a great continous string. However, for me B-50 makes a better flemish string, it hold wax better and has less memory, and that makes it eaiser to hold the twists while making the string. Anyone else agree?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    OHIO
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldermike View Post
    D-97 is good stuff. It's easy to make very good flemish strings with D-97. I made D-97 strings for my GM ll and one of my longbows. But I also use B-50. I use classic nocks and it's much eaiser to get a good fit with B-50 12 strand stings, IMHO.

    I have several spools of B500, it's the same as B-50 and makes a great continous string. However, for me B-50 makes a better flemish string, it hold wax better and has less memory, and that makes it eaiser to hold the twists while making the string. Anyone else agree?
    Yup…Well, I’m B50 down the line…and I have no problem with what others choose to use. Although I mostly shoot vintage bows, I also shoot newer customs and I get the best performance I can from each. If I really have the need for another few feet per second, I’ll just grab another bow…or shoot while I’m running.

    The practical equation is that every bow has an unknown number of shots built into it, but one day it will have shot its last…it’s inevitable. If B50 helps to put that off another day, so much the better…someone else will get to enjoy my toys. I hope they never stop making the stuff. Rick.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Beaver Falls, PA
    Posts
    8,576
    Quote Originally Posted by rickstix View Post
    Yup…Well, I’m B50 down the line…and I have no problem with what others choose to use. Although I mostly shoot vintage bows, I also shoot newer customs and I get the best performance I can from each. If I really have the need for another few feet per second, I’ll just grab another bow…or shoot while I’m running.

    The practical equation is that every bow has an unknown number of shots built into it, but one day it will have shot its last…it’s inevitable. If B50 helps to put that off another day, so much the better…someone else will get to enjoy my toys. I hope they never stop making the stuff. Rick.
    That's why I say selfbows like FF more than recurves. Unlike rcurves, like Rick's, selfbows don't have that same violent, snappy recoil. The sudden stop form a FF string won't endanger the limbs.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinbogen View Post
    I've used D97 exclusively on selfbows for last decade. 100+ bows and never an issue.
    I have also used D97 since it became readily available and would never go back to FF or B50. D97 has many advantages over both of them and has never caused any trouble for me with selfbows. I would guess I have used it one about 20 selfbows so far. For the last couple bows I have also made flemish strings of 8125 (IIRC 8125 is simply a smaller diameter version of D97) and been happy with them as well.

    Matt
    Alphaelite, Maxxis 35, Ultraelite w/spirals, Matrix (the recurve), Excel, Vipertec w/spirals,
    Mojo 3D, Thunderstick, Elan, Ultratec, Havoctec (now "Frankentec"), Gamemaster,
    and a super sweet mint 1963 Pro Medalist.

Similar Threads

  1. fast flight ???????
    By elkhunter4 in forum Traditional Archery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 29th, 2009, 01:29 PM
  2. B50 or Dayna Flight 97?
    By Raider2000 in forum Traditional Archery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 5th, 2009, 09:06 AM
  3. Fast Flight or Not??
    By warped Arrow in forum Traditional Archery
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: September 22nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
  4. Fast Flight ??
    By PLASTIC PAUL in forum General Archery Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 6th, 2005, 10:46 AM
  5. I know the carbon vs. aluminum issue has been beaten to death, but...
    By Todd in NY in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 7th, 2004, 04:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •