a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowtech Destroyer 340 review

Bowtech Destroyer 340 review

I shot the Bowtech Destroyer today at one of the local shops here in WV. The draw cycle really impressed me and was smooth building up to peak with a great valley and no hump and solid back wall. I saw no cam lean or limb pitch as some would put it. The shot was quiet, no hand shock and a little bit of tuning fork like vibration after the shot but not much- may be the flex guard. A little bit of tinkering and I think I could get it out. On 29" draw at 55lb (this was a 60lb max bow) it shot my 377 gr arrow at 281. It tuned a perfect bullet hole with a drop away rest dead center down the riser(wow and double wow these days). It was 10fps faster than my Hoyt AM 35 on 30" draw same poundage and believe it or not it had a better draw cycle. And I am not biased nor am I a Bowtech fanboy as I shoot for now a Hoyt and an Elite (but who knows next week?) but I was impressed to say the least and to me this could be the best bow Bowtech has come out with since the Tribute and Allegiance and that is saying a lot for me. And yes it was a Destroyer 340 not a 350. Go shoot it if you have a chance and you won't be dissapointed. JMHO

2012 PSE Vendetta DC
    John's Custom Strings + Bow-A Constrictor Bow Presses
    "Of all the sounds on earth let me hear the bugle of a bull elk on a cold morning in the Rocky mountains, and then one more-The still small voice of God." Psalm 19

Sounds like a good and honest review! I am really looking forward to feeling this bow!
    Threadz Custom Bowstrings
    LEVEL III INSTRUCTOR
    BRIAN'S CUSTOM LENSES

Thanks for the review!!!

Do you, or anyone else, know where they pick up the diff between the 340 & the 350? I know it's brace height but are they getting it from riser geometry, limb lenght, cams, or a combination of these?

I believe it is the riser geometry; just a little bit less reflex on the 340.

BTW, Great review! I'm pumped that there is so much positive feedback coming from people that don't traditionally shoot BowTech. I can hardly wait for mine to get here.
    I love the smell of dentin in the morning.

"they say the empty can rattles the most
    the sound of your own voice must soothe you
    hearing only what you want to hear
    and knowing only what you've heard"

Quote Originally Posted by 500 fps View Post
    I believe it is the riser geometry; just a little bit less reflex on the 340.

BTW, Great review! I'm pumped that there is so much positive feedback coming from people that don't traditionally shoot BowTech. I can hardly wait for mine to get here.
    I agree 500 fps.

It's nice to see someone go in with an honest open mind and shoot it and review it the same. It mirrors everything we're hearing about the Destroyers.z When I shot the AM 35, I felt it had just a little more thump than the Admiral and to hear this review compare really sets my heart a pounding to receive my 340.

Bowtech 340 review

I wouldn't hesitate a bit to buy one but I rarely buy a new one- Same way with new cars I let someone else take the first big hit. But if I was looking to treat myself to a new bow after seeing how this one tuned I'd buy it. I have tried and become very disgusted with so many newer bows this last year that wouldn't tune down the center. This one is a fresh face in a midst of the familiar.
    The laminated limbs look aswesome. I am not crazy about the camo or the big logos - I would rather have an all blackone. Maybe someone will buy one and not like it and put it on here in a month or two for a few hundred off.LOL
    2012 PSE Vendetta DC
    "Of all the sounds on earth let me hear the bugle of a bull elk on a cold morning in the Rocky mountains, and then one more-The still small voice of God." Psalm 19

Z7

jamesbowman - Have you shot the Z7 also? If so how did the 2 bows compare? I shot the Z7 today and was quite impressed.

Thanks.
    Bowtech Insanity CPX 65lb 28.5" Draw
    Trophy Ridge Revolution B Stinger 10"
    Axcel Armourtech Vision HD 7 pin
    Easton Carbon Injections / Rage Hypodermic 100gr

thanks for reveiw

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbowman View Post
    I shot the Bowtech Destroyer today at one of the local shops here in WV. The draw cycle really impressed me and was smooth building up to peak with a great valley and no hump and solid back wall. I saw no cam lean or limb pitch as some would put it. The shot was quiet, no hand shock and a little bit of tuning fork like vibration after the shot but not much- may be the flex guard. A little bit of tinkering and I think I could get it out. On 29" draw at 55lb (this was a 60lb max bow) it shot my 377 gr arrow at 281. It tuned a perfect bullet hole with a drop away rest dead center down the riser(wow and double wow these days). It was 10fps faster than my Hoyt AM 35 on 30" draw same poundage and believe it or not it had a better draw cycle. And I am not biased nor am I a Bowtech fanboy as I shoot for now a Hoyt and an Elite (but who knows next week?) but I was impressed to say the least and to me this could be the best bow Bowtech has come out with since the Tribute and Allegiance and that is saying a lot for me. And yes it was a Destroyer 340 not a 350. Go shoot it if you have a chance and you won't be dissapointed. JMHO

On 29" draw at 55lb (this was a 60lb max bow) it shot my 377 gr arrow at 281.
    I'm not bashing, but this honestly doesn't sound like all that great performance out of the D340 to me (or rather-less than expected for a 340 FPS bow)

My 60 pound AM35 at 28.5" draw shot a 386 grain arrow at 280 FPS on the nose day in and day out with a peep, loop, and the stock Hoyt/FUSE string doohickey. IBO WAS 311

My GT500 was right in there too at 279-280 FPS (IBO- 311-312) FPS similar setup.

Of course there are other things much more important than raw speed, just struck me as "meh" #s-wise for the 340.

Thanks for the review regardless!

EDITED- for clarity

Bowtech Destroyer

The Z-7 is a great bow but not really a good comparison to this bow as it is a small ata bow. The better comparison would be the Monster 7.0 and to me the Destroyer is much better on draw and on speed and even on looks. I have been asked about fletching clearance. The arrow I tested was a Lightspeed 400 fletched with full size 2.0 Blazers and it had plenty of clearance and tuned perfect.
    2012 PSE Vendetta DC

I think that is right in spec when you adjust for the draw length, arrow weight and draw weight. May not be at the high end, but I believe it is in specs. I'd like to hear how it shoots at 60lbs. Bet it picks up 10+fps.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    I'm not bashing, but this honestly doesn't sound like all that great performance out of the D340 to me (or rather-less than expected for a 340 FPS bow)

My 60 pound AM35 at 28.5" draw shot a 386 grain arrow at 280 FPS on the nose day in and day out with a peep, loop, and the stock Hoyt/FUSE string doohickey. IBO WAS 311

My GT500 was right in there too at 279-280 FPS (IBO- 311-312) FPS similar setup.

Of course there are other things much more important than raw speed, just struck me as "meh" #s-wise for the 340.

I think that is right in spec when you adjust for the draw length, arrow weight and draw weight. May not be at the high end, but I believe it is in specs. I'd like to hear how it shoots at 60lbs. Bet it picks up 10+fps.

EDITED- for clarity

EDITED- for clarity

Don't forget they had a 60 lb. bow backed off the 55 lbs. which will affect the efficiency no matter what brand bow it is.

I appreciate the review jamesbowman...

The Z-7 is a great bow but not really a good comparison to this bow as it is a small ata bow. The better comparison would be the Monster 7.0 and to me the Destroyer is much better on draw and on speed and even on looks. I have been asked about fletching clearance. The arrow I tested was a Lightspeed 400 fletched with full size 2.0 Blazers and it had plenty of clearance and tuned perfect.

I also appreciate the review.

Strange enough, before the bow was released etc... I had asked that exact question via Staff emailings.

I was reassured that you can shoot the fastest aluminum with Blazers and still have clearance with cock vane up.

Quote Originally Posted by BowTech_Shooter View Post
    Don't forget they had a 60 lb. bow backed off the 55 lbs. which will affect the efficiency no matter what brand bow it is.
    Well this is true Bro- but it's also 1/2" more draw length and shooting a lighter arrow- Add 10 FPS for the draw weight @ 60 for the D340, but subtract 5 dropping the draw length to 28.5 and another 2-4 for the arrow weight around 386 grains- speeds will be *roughly* the same.

No doubt the Gt500 is not as fast as Elite WAS claiming it is (this years specs are more realistic) , and no doubt the AM35 IS faster than Hoyt claims it is- D340 *seems* a little slow- But as I said, thats obviously not the most important thing- just struck me as odd- I would have expected a bit more

PS- you still have not called me, you flake!

Well this is true Bro- but it's also 1/2" more draw length and shooting a lighter arrow- Add 10 FPS for the draw weight @ 60 for the D340, but subtract 5 dropping the draw length to 28.5 and another 2-4 for the arrow weight around 386 grains- speeds will be *roughly* the same.

No doubt the Gt500 is not as fast as Elite WAS claiming it is (this years specs are more realistic) , and no doubt the AM35 IS faster than Hoyt claims it is- D340 *seems* a little slow- But as I said, thats obviously not the most important thing- just struck me as odd- I would have expected a bit more

PS- you still have not called me, you flake!

We might see different results once more of them get out...

Nor have you called me...Although I did say I would didn't I?

We might see different results once more of them get out...
    Agreed! Just going by what was posted here.

Nor have you called me...Although I did say I would didn't I?
    Just like a woman to try and turn the argument around on me!

Just like a woman to try and turn the argument around on me!

Only because you sounded like a woman that was looking for a second date when you said "PS- you still have not called me, you flake!"

Only because you sounded like a woman that was looking for a second date when you said "PS- you still have not called me, you flake!"
    How long have you two been together?

Point taken....

douchebag

detroyer of all other bows

I shot the destroyer 340 today and DEAR GOD! I always say shoot what you like , but I can't imagine not liking this bow best. The draw cycle is pure butter. It was so silent and without shock I barley new it went off. There is absolutly no hump. Using a 2 finger grip, the bow stood straight up and down. Light, balanced, great looking and lightning fast. And all this from a lifetime mathews shooter. Don't get me wrong I love my reezen and the new z7 is amazing but there is no comparison. Can't wait for payday.

Shoot what you like but shoot this first and you won't have to waist any more time.

And please. if there is a bow that you think is better please let me know. Cause that would be a bow I'd HAVE to shoot

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    I shot the destroyer 340 today and DEAR GOD! I always say shoot what you like , but I can't imagine not liking this bow best. The draw cycle is pure butter. It was so silent and without shock I barley new it went off. There is absolutly no hump. Using a 2 finger grip, the bow stood straight up and down. Light, balanced, great looking and lightning fast. And all this from a lifetime mathews shooter. Don't get me wrong I love my reezen and the new z7 is amazing but there is no comparison. Can't wait for payday.

Shoot what you like but shoot this first and you won't have to waist any more time.

And please. if there is a bow that you think is better please let me know. Cause that would be a bow I'd HAVE to shoot
    I love this Place !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH !!!!
    May you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead!!!!!
    Hangout with good people and good things happen !!!!!!
    09 BOWTECH ADMIRAL 60lbs. ,07 BOWTECH GUARDIAN 70lbs.

I shot the destroyer today... I ordered the 340 ..

Awesome Bow.. I was hoping to shoot it against what Strothers had to offer but for some reason They just couldn't get any bows to my dealer ..

I shot the 350 today. 70lb bow set at 67 and i am sorry to disagree with everyone because i really and i mean really wanted to love this bow and put the admiral up awhile and have a new toy but to my disappointment other than it is extremely fast it is not half the shooter that my admiral is. JMHO. I personally will be waiting until next year it looks like unless the elite's really perform when i test run them. i thought the draw cycle was ok, felt like pearson bows with cam and a half, i thought it had a vibration more than i wanted and i swear it is not that quiet.
    2013 Hoyt Carbon Element G3 BLACK OUT
    Armortech HD .010
    QAD HDX
    Carbon Blade stabilizer
    Fuse switch convertible quiver

From your review I think we shot the same bow
    I just shot one last night at the dealer here in WI. It was a 70# bow though. It was pretty nice but I didnt care for all the vibrations after the shot. for that kinda money it should be dead in hand (JMHO) I loved the graphics and the limbs!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT,

Quote Originally Posted by pride bow View Post
    I shot the 350 today. 70lb bow set at 67 and i am sorry to disagree with everyone because i really and i mean really wanted to love this bow and put the admiral up awhile and have a new toy but to my disappointment other than it is extremely fast it is not half the shooter that my admiral is. JMHO. I personally will be waiting until next year it looks like unless the elite's really perform when i test run them. i thought the draw cycle was ok, felt like pearson bows with cam and a half, i thought it had a vibration more than i wanted and i swear it is not that quiet.
    I also shot an Admiral and liked it better as well. Great reviews!

I had the same thing happen to me when I shot mine for the first time at the bow shop. It wasnt the rollerguard making the tuning fork vib, it was that they had the bow backed off from 70 lbs to 63 or 64 lbs to make it easy to shoot for some people and when they did that, it made the string come off the string stop a little. I didnt notice right away so I bought a mini kit of limb saver stuff to put on rollerguard, took it home and cranked it back down to 70 lbs. and vib was gone!!! Shoot sweet, quiet, and fast! Anybody need a mini limb saver kit cheap?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast