Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 07X-Force Owner Comparison: Tried Destroyer 350 –and is Flabbergasted

07X-Force Owner Comparison: Tried Destroyer 350 –and is Flabbergasted

As some of you know, I’m planning on buying a new bow this January (Lord willing).

I have done my own extensive research, and in the process, I have actually been accused of being an “engineer”. Sad to say …I’m much worse….I’m a supervisor!

Admittedly, I started the process with some harsh…preconceived notions. I initially started out thinking I wanted a Mathews Monster.

But after shooting (and Chronying) several bows at 63Lb, 29”DL (Monster, Monster XLR8, Z7, Reezen 6.5, XFGX, Axe6, Axe7, AlphaBurner, Maxxis 31-35, Rytera Alien-X, Air-raid), I quickly changed my mind.

Out of all those bows, I had picked the Reezen6.5 for speed, smoothness, forgiveness etc.

I live 35mi from the BowTech Factory, and had also tried to shoot a destroyer, but they never had one at the BowTech Factory ProShop.

Some of you may also remember my criticisms of Bowtech (and my public apology).

I still wasn’t convinced on Bowtech and had misgivings…until today when I went in to the Factory ProShop today and actually shot one.

They had one Destroyer 350 50-60Lb set up at 29” DL. So I took my five 28” 400Gr Easton Carbonaeros 340 arrows into their range, and shot them at 10 yds. I wasn’t paying too close to the placement, because I was honestly expecting to not like the bow.

Only… I did like it.

It was VEEEERRRRYYYY Smooth draw. The best I have felt yet, except for the Z7 maybe. But the 29” DL felt a little short for me and had them put it on the press and change DL to 30” (max for the D350). I then had them double check the DL and the Poundage (I had them do it twice to be sure). 30” and 62.5Lb. (yes, on a 50-60Lb bow).

BTW, this causes me to believe that Mathews & PSE both overstate their draw length.

I then took it to the range and shot my 5 arrows, at 20yd, only this time I was testing the grouping (like I had done on all the other bows). Remember, the bow wasn't sighted in for me, otherwise these arrows would have been in the buulseye.

But I’m sorry to say, that of the 5 arrows, 3 of the fletches were destroyed, because the grouping was so tight. I couldn’t have grouped them much better if I had stuck them in with my bare hand. I was expecting to shoot about 15-20 arrows (like I had on all the other bows), but I’m sorry…I didn’t bring a fletching jig! No wonder they called it the Destroyer!

We then chronied my 2 remaining 400gr arrows at 62.5Lb, 30”DL….305fps! WOW!

I AM CONVINCED THIS IS THE BOW FOR ME.

I am just telling you the way it happened, and this is the Bow I’m now planning on buying this January (Lord Willing). I’m still saving up the money.

Here’s some funky cell phone pics of the demo bow I shot today. I should have brought my camera, but I honestly didn’t expect to be impressed. Folks…I was simply flabbergasted!

On a side note: Notice the string stop! I checked...the boot does not twist on the shaft like Mathews. It's fixed very firmly in place. Well Done BOWTECH!

Good for you! I did the same thing shooting the Elite judge this weekend; didnt think it was going to be much different than the gt500. After I shot it I asked what the dw was, 63 lbs, felt like 45, I was quite impressed and it could turn out to be my new hunting bow.
    Bearfoot Archery
    Center Circle Strings
    "Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water." -W.C. Fields

Nice review. The destroyer has piqued my interest!

'12 LH Insanity CPXL 30.5/70, Custom CBE Tek Hunter, Limbdriver
    '09 LH GT500 30/70 Ripcord, Copper John
    In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity- Albert Einstein

great review but ummm stop shooting the same spot.

Pretty group

It is a cool lookin bow

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Archery View Post
    great review but ummm stop shooting the same spot.
    You got that right pal. How many arrows needed to sight in?

How was it after the shot? Noise, Vibrations ect..

Quote Originally Posted by NeubauerL56 View Post
    How was it after the shot? Noise, Vibrations ect..
    Smooth...quiet...shockless. Thanks for reminding me...forgot to put that in the review.

This bow would get a 10 on looks for me if they just did not have those red lines down the limbs.. Might have to get the black sharpie out lol..

I think you just might have sold a bow lol!

Quote Originally Posted by AboveIBO View Post
    This bow would get a 10 on looks for me if they just did not have those red lines down the limbs.. Might have to get the black sharpie out lol..
    I think they look nice too. I like the red. Have you shot one yet? I recomend you go try it if you haven't already, then see what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by NeubauerL56 View Post
    I think you just might have sold a bow lol!
    Don't take my word for it. Go shoot it and see for yourself!

Not to be a chode or anything, but isn't that about 10 fps slower than IBO ratings?

At 62.5#, you'd need a 312.5 grain arrow to be at IBO. Subtract 1 fps for every 3 grains over IBO, and you end up with

400 grains - 312.5 grains = 87.5 grains

87.5 grains / 3 fps/grain = 29.167 fps

Add that to the 305 fps that you achieved, and you're looking at 334 fps IBO.

Take into account that the bow probably had a loop and peep, and that the max poundage was 62.5# rather than 70#, and you're looking at 340ish.

Correct me if I'm mistaken.

I have to say, though, that Bowtech most definitely has a winner on their hands with these two models, especially if they're as smooth and quiet as everyone says they are. I'll look forward to trying one at my earliest convenience.
    Ron Paul

2008 Hoyt Katera XL in Inferno
    2008 Hoyt Katera XL in APG Camo

BTW, I forgot to mention...since I can't tell how much their bows weigh on the BowTech website, I asked how much the Destroyer weighs? Approx 3.9 Lbs.

Nice review I like the look of the new bowtech and it appears to be a real shooter!
    Romans 5:12

Great looking bow-I like the RT Grey much more than the Green they have been using. Hoping to put a few arrows through my shop's demo 350 this weekend to see what all the hoopla is about

Also glad you finally found the bow that flips your switch, TBG
    "If I want to watch ignorant rednecks make fools of themselves on camera I'd rather watch COPS"-myself, discussing the Hunting Video/TV "industry"

Quote Originally Posted by CherryJu1ce View Post
    Not to be a chode or anything, but isn't that about 10 fps slower than IBO ratings?

At 62.5#, you'd need a 312.5 grain arrow to be at IBO. Subtract 1 fps for every 3 grains over IBO, and you end up with

400 grains - 312.5 grains = 87.5 grains

87.5 grains / 3 fps/grain = 29.167 fps

Add that to the 305 fps that you achieved, and you're looking at 334 fps IBO.

Take into account that the bow probably had a loop and peep, and that the max poundage was 62.5# rather than 70#, and you're looking at 340ish.

Correct me if I'm mistaken.

I have to say, though, that Bowtech most definitely has a winner on their hands with these two models, especially if they're as smooth and quiet as everyone says they are. I'll look forward to trying one at my earliest convenience.
    Don't know about that CherryJu1ce. All I do know, is that my arrows weigh approx 402gr on the digital scale. When they were shot through Bowtech's ChronoGraph (back in their factory warehouse), they clocked at 305FPS.

I just had a friend double check his TAP Program for the Destroyer 350 at 62.5 Lb, 30" DL, D-Loop & Peep...& 28" Easton Carbon 340 adjusted to 401.4 gr. TAP says 303 FPS. It pretty much agrees with what I saw.

Hope that helps.

Good review. Thanks for posting.

It sure has me interested. Gotta go shoot one!

Question: I've been seeing some other AT people stating that the Destroyer is not a true Binary Cam system.

Does anyone care to explain what is meant by that? Something about dual cams aren't slaved together, but Binary cams are?

So is it a Binary Cam or a Dual Cam?

Good review.

Quote Originally Posted by Au_Contraire View Post
    Good review. Thanks for posting.

It sure has me interested. Gotta go shoot one!

Question: I've been seeing some other AT people stating that the Destroyer is not a true Binary Cam system.

Does anyone care to explain what is meant by that? Something about dual cams aren't slaved together, but Binary cams are?

So is it a Binary Cam or a Dual Cam?
    Ok...I just looked and honestly I'm not sure. Good question.
    Looks like it could be another Dually...but it's synchronized...I don't know how to tell. Maybe a BT Tech or dealer can answer.

BowTech's Website says this:
    Truly the ultimate cam technology ever developed, BowTech's new OverDrive Binary™ synchronized dual cam system delivers 350 feet per second while raising the bar on the overall shooting experience. By attaching a 100% tunable split buss cable harness to the ends of a cam synchronizing axle, cam stability is maximized while maintaining perfect synchronization for unmatched accuracy and a very comfortable draw cycle. Premium alloy composition allows for a strong, lightweight design which diminishes noise and vibration. The OverDrive Binary comes standard with rotating modules.

Bargain Bin 340 or 350

OK now the big decision im sold on the destroyer but which should i buy. Everyone says the 350 even though it is shorter brace it shoots exceptionally good and seems to be very forgiven.

I was corrected on the DESTROYER, Its a HYBRID BINARY SYSTEM ... It's designed different then the original BINARY SYSTEM that we know...

That is why BOWTECH has a NEW PATENT for it called the.....

" OVERDRIVE BINARY "

If you have questions about this, look for a thread titled " The DESTROYER is NOT a BINARY cam " its in the General Archery Discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by MT Olie View Post
    I was corrected on the DESTROYER, Its a HYBRID BINARY SYSTEM ... It's designed different then the original BINARY SYSTEM that we know...

That is why BOWTECH has a NEW PATENT for it called the.....

" OVERDRIVE BINARY "

If you have questions about this, look for a thread titled " The DESTROYER is NOT a BINARY cam " its in the General Archery Discussion...
    Yeah I saw that one but got bogged down by all the youtube pics. So I avoided it. I'll go page through the endless bash mat'l to see if I can't get some real value out of it. Thanks for posting MT Olie.

Quote Originally Posted by dtgb115 View Post
    OK now the big decision im sold on the destroyer but which should i buy. Everyone says the 350 even though it is shorter brace it shoots exceptionally good and seems to be very forgiven.
    Don't take anyone's word for it. Go shoot them both and decide. But I suspect you'll like the 350.

Take a fletcher & vanes or a lot of arrows with you for good measure!

Or better yet...use the dealer's arrows.

I'm shocked you didn't like the Axe...

Nice pics and comments on the BT.
    SH Archery & Custom Bow Tuning
    Dealer for Bowtech, Elite, Bear, and PSE
    2014 Bowtech RPM

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast