a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: becoming a dealer??

becoming a dealer??

Iím thinking about starting my own archery shop on my side of town. Iím not sure if anyone can help but i need to know a few things?,

- What distributors to dealers use? (Iíve looked on Google and canít seem to find any)

- What does it take to become a bow dealer? Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, .........

- What ideas do you have that could set me apart from the typical shop?

- Should i stick to archery or maybe get into guns to? (Opinions please)

Thanks to anyone who helps me with this!

dont know anthing about running a pro shop but i would think to do decent you need very noligable(sp) staff and great service.if thiers allot of archery shooters in your town and no other shops you could do well but if theirs other shops with a great rep it might be hard to win over the customers.good luck.dont know less you try and if you dont try you will always wonder what would of happend if you would of chased your dream.
    Evolution☆Stormy hardwoods☆27", 58.4lbs ,holding 9.8lbs,334gr at 293fps loaded string Breathn!

dude if you did guns and bows that would be cool imo.

to set your self apart. idk be nice, help alot and dont look down on others gear and laugh at them and mock them until there mad and hate you like some shops i know of do.

good prices would help

good luck. hope your shop is a success
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak
    paradigm archery field staff

oh yeah dont let "that guy" at some shops set around and act like a bow tech and criticise everyone gear and be anoying to the point that you almost punch the guy but dont cause you like the shop.this has happend a few times and pisses me off.if they dont work thier then dont let them talk to customers when they dont know what thier talkng about.i 2nd the who care what gear some one already has or wants its thier $ and thier choice.and guns also would get all kinds of people in your shop.more people more $$$
    Evolution☆Stormy hardwoods☆27", 58.4lbs ,holding 9.8lbs,334gr at 293fps loaded string Breathn!

Quote Originally Posted by AK&HIboy View Post
    oh yeah dont let "that guy" at some shops set around and act like a bow tech and criticise everyone gear and be anoying to the point that you almost punch the guy but dont cause you like the shop.this has happend a few times and pisses me off.if they dont work thier then dont let them talk to customers when they dont know what thier talkng about.i 2nd the who care what gear some one already has or wants its thier $ and thier choice.and guns also would get all kinds of people in your shop.more people more $$$
    You got those there too???

Seriously though customer service speaks volumes! I will pay a little bit more for things at a shop that has great service! Knowing a thing or two about what your selling dont hurt either!

Start some other kind of business that can actually make money like a pawn shop, general sporting goods, fishing gear or something and then ad the archery pro shop. Hard for an archery shop to make it stand alone. Lancaster and Norman Archery are major archery distributors but get as many accounts with the mfgs as possible to have a better profit margin. Contact the bow companies, some have territories and some don't care. Unless you have lots of money up front and great credit you might have to start with some bow companies other than the ones you mentioned.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

If you want to promote the sport in your community, go for it.

If you want to make a small fortune...out of a large fortune, go for it.

If you want to make a meager living, go for it.

But...if you want to make a decent living, work reasonable hours, hunt during hunting season, and have a lot fewer headaches...do something else.

Trust me...I know.
    Always Strive to do What is Right
    PM me if you'd like to own your own archery store in Huntsville, AL
    BEST Zenit Riser
    W&W Limbs
    REDHDCHARM string loop material

Recordkeeper hit the nail dead on!!! been there done that, and still at it!!! But it will definitely cut into your season.
    Do it for the love of archery, not to make a livin'! Make sure everyone knows you hunt too and do your best to get the things that can be done before season starts. But its a guarantee you'll still have work during season!!

Pape's is a major distributor too. If you can get a retail merchant certificate proving you are an actual business, you can attend the Archery Trade Association show next month in Ohio. You can place orders there with manufacturers and distributors.
    Bow companies look for financial stability so don't go in thinking they'll stock you with bows and you can pay when you sell. You have to have a financial statement that will hold up. Granted some will give you a line of credit, but you must pay your bill to them on time or you'll lose them.
    Don't depend on target shooters. The bread and butter are the hunting crowd and they buy seasonally, so don't expect a regular level of monthly income.
    The suggestion that you add archery to guns, fishing tackle, etc. is a good one.
    I tried retail and found out it takes a lot more smarts and a lot more nerve than I had. God bless those who can make it for they are the back bone of our capitalistic system and more power to them.
    Can you point me toward the target, please?