Thread: Tree stand for 350# plus weight limit?????

Tree stand for 350# plus weight limit?????

I am wondering if there is a need and market for a 350#plus weight limit tree stand. I have looked and looked for a good stand that has a weight limit of over 350#'s without going to a 2 man stand with a limit of 500#'s. I am thinking of a single man stand for the larger hunters out there because not all locations are fit for the larger 2 man stands. How many guys would be interested in a stand like I talked about? I think I can design one with a high weight limit and still not be to heavy. But don't want to start something there is no market for, have other ideas I will work on instead.

sounds cool- im not in the market but I know some people that would be
    Hoyt Shooting Staff, Doinker Silver Staff, Hamskea Shooting Staff, T.R.U. Ball/Axcel, Pure Perfextion Shooting Staff.

If you make one let me know I'd be interested.

money maker

i could see you selling some to a small market. would you be making each one by hand with very little cost in materials? or are you talking about mass producing them with very expensive machines? i just don't see a large(no pun) market for them. i just don't think many people 350+ lbs. are climbing hills and trees. i in no way mean that nasty. i am compassionate in that sense. i am overweight for the first time in my life and never imagined i would be. it's mostly from medication and i am losing it rather rapidly and easily off the med but i can see how it can be hard for many. now there are some 350plus pound people that are in tremendous physical condition, but i don't believe many are out hunting to be able to mass market!

Maybe instead you should create a hunters work out video. Bench your bow press. Maybe turn your bow into a bowflex?
    Every man dies, few truly live.

well I am over weight and I am planning on losing but even losing weight I will never been skinny. I for one am leary of being close to the 300lb limit on most stands eventhough it may be under the published weight limit not sure if I want to be up a tree 20 ft and test it. So the thought was to have a stand with "wiggle" room for those of us who are hunters/outdoorsmen who are over 300. this was and is what I am thinking. As far as price not sure haven't checked materials and all yet just in the planning stages right now. But needed to see if there might be a mraket before I got going to far.

I have the Super Hulk stand from Deer hunter stands. it's rated to 450+ lbs. i'm close to 350 and didn't really want to push the stands that are rated at that, so i found this one. it's a little bulky, but that should be expected of a stand that is rated that high. There are a couple of other manufacturers out there with single stands rated higher than 350 but not a lot. I don't know that there would be a market for someone to exclusively manufacture these type of stands, but if you are already a stand maker, i think it would be good to have one in your product line.

Here's a link to their stands. i have the 104 Super Hulk

chippewa wedge loc BRUTUS. Best stands made.

I've lurked here on and off and I've registered just to reply to this thread. I'm not pointing at any person in particular, but people have this idea that being over 300 pounds makes you fat and incapable of athletic feats. Body structure and height make a huge difference in this category. As a 6'6" tall, 360 pound guy, I hear this all the time. Upon requesting information from the TMA (treestand manufacturers association) about treestand testing procedures and stands that were rated for 350+ pounds, the agent responding to my email even had the audacity to question whether or not I should get into a tree.

The minute people start getting over 6' tall the weight stats can change dramatically. I've had a caliper test done and if I was 0% bodyfat, I'd weigh 280 pounds. Considering most people sit around 18-24% bodyfat, average for me is between 330 and nearly 350. A "fitness" weight for me is around 320. So, while yes, I'm on the obese side of the scale, I'll never be able to comfortable use those 300lb stands that the majority of people can. I'd have to have around 7% bodyfat.

I forget the exact numbers, but I once went through the census, hunter registration numbers and more to figure out that there's probably a significant market that is not catered to directly when it comes to just tall hunters let alone big and tall. As a person how has to spend significant amounts of time and money looking for something that can not only fit my height, but my frame as well, I can honestly say that if a quality product comes along and is built for me, I'll spend the money.

Sorry about the three posts, I had a lot to write and couldn't figure out how to get past the spam filter.

Doesn't really apply to me, but if you can find a way to minimize costs and build it then you may have a good chance at a niche market. Lots of big people want to hunt, and by the time you start adding all your gear the weight can really increase. I know the guy I bought my climber from didn't exceed the weight limit but the fact that he was getting close was unnerving enough for him to get rid of the stand.

I know this thread was started a very long time ago and that it could be way past it's prime. However, I would like to know if you (rjharcher) figured anything out with this. I am at that 300lb line and I hunt out of a Summit Goliath stand which is a 350# limit stand but if there are other options than I would love to see what you came up with. And to add to this.. camo companies should start offering a big and tall lineup that is affordable. When I layer up I would like to have a little more room than what I have right now and I don't want to spend a mint to get it. Just sayin.

I am very interested. Any updates on this?

Timbertall super brute is a climber they rate at 350 lbs, I own one and am only 200lbs but wanted all the extra room, it is very nice, comfortable and I feel safe in it (I use a lifeline and harness attached from the ground up too, just takes a couple of extra minutes to do). Replaced the seat with a Summit replacement seat for extra comfort. It is alot of money though.
    Bear Carnage, Vapor Trail Strings, Code Red Rest, Max Hunter Vanes and Magnus Buzzcuts

Always do the right thing, even when it is really, really hard to do. Then sleep well at night, every night.

What would happen if a 350lb guy fell out of the stand? Is there any harnesses out there that can support a guy that big and could a guy that big get himself out of a situation like that? Most likely not, Guys that big have no business being in a treestand!
    No man is truly married until he understands every word his wife is NOT saying.

Quote Originally Posted by rjharcher View Post
    well I am over weight and I am planning on losing but even losing weight I will never been skinny. I for one am leary of being close to the 300lb limit on most stands eventhough it may be under the published weight limit not sure if I want to be up a tree 20 ft and test it. So the thought was to have a stand with "wiggle" room for those of us who are hunters/outdoorsmen who are over 300. this was and is what I am thinking. As far as price not sure haven't checked materials and all yet just in the planning stages right now. But needed to see if there might be a mraket before I got going to far.
    Just in case you were unaware, one of the requirements to get liability insurance is the stands need to be tested at double the advertised weight. A 350 pound has to be tested at 700lbs. That takes a lot of metal.
    Jim Litmer VP Sales www.thirdhandarchery.com
    1-800-339-0232
    The original Made in the USA

We hope you have a safe successful hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdhandman View Post
    Just in case you were unaware, one of the requirements to get liability insurance is the stands need to be tested at double the advertised weight. A 350 pound has to be tested at 700lbs. That takes a lot of metal.
    this is true. i use to work for a very large treestand manufacturer and when we would design a climbing stand, we would put it on a pole and start adding weight until it started to fail or failed. we would then divide that number in half and that would be what we would say was the max. so if you bought a stand that advises a 300 pound max, it had over 600 pounds on it before it failed. now this applies to the big treestand companies. the mom and pop companies may not do this.
    2014 Bear Agenda 7
    - Spot Hogg Hogg-It Wrapped 5 Pin Sight
    - Trophy Ridge Revolution 2.0 Rest
    - Trophy Ridge 9" Static Stab /w Doinker QD
    - Trophy Ridge Arrow Cage Quiver

Quote Originally Posted by TheTracker View Post
    What would happen if a 350lb guy fell out of the stand? Is there any harnesses out there that can support a guy that big and could a guy that big get himself out of a situation like that? Most likely not, Guys that big have no business being in a treestand!
    I have to disagree with you. I am right at 320lbs and have no problems. Just because people are over weight doesn't mean they are unable to fend for them selves.