Thread: How do you stop binoculars from fogging up?

How do you stop binoculars from fogging up?

Got me a set of Leupold Acadia's and can not seem to get these things to stop fogging up....I either have to hold my breath while looking through them or get about 10 seconds of viewing before they fog up. Any ideas on how to stop this besides getting another brand?

I have a brand new pair of Nikons that do the same thing. I think that this has more to do with the colder air temps outside when the body or breath makes close contact with the optics than the brand or quality of the binos? I am also curious as to what others do to cure this problem.
    TopShotArchery.Com Pro Staff
    Scott's Strings Shooting Staff
    Hoyt Katera, Fuse Stabalizer, True-Glo Sights, WB Rest
    64lbs, 29" DL, Easton FMJ Arrows, Rage heads

what I have done is, I found an anti fog cloth at my local snowmobile shop that they use on their faceshields of thier helmets... works awesome

All binoculars do it.

Face masks can make it even worse because the warm air travels straight up.

They make some anit-fogging solutions for optics but I just choose to hold them out away from my face and hold my breath.

I also scuba dive and use my scuba mask anti fog gel for my binos. Works great. I have it packed away but I'll did it out this weekend and pm ya. You could also just google search for scuba mask anti fog and products are sure to come up.
    '09' Iceman. 63# & 29" draw
    TruGlow Extreme 5 pin
    Hostage Rest
    Easton ST Epics
    NAP Thunderheads
    Single Malt Scotch

Colorado Bowhunters Association
    GameLines Archery Club

little OT, but how do you like the Acadia's....i'm going back and forth between them and the Cascades in a 10x42 bino.....
    "A drinking camp with a hunting problem....yup, that's it!"
    "Sir, I may be drunk, but you're crazy, and I'll be hungover or passed out tomorrow!"

RainX Anti-Fog works for mine. I used to have a wax from a company out of Montana?, started with a "z". They supposedly sold to skiers and motorcross guys for their goggles. The little container is out in the pickup but I'll get it later and post the name. It worked really good on my Leupold scopes.

anti fog

Ok i dont want to seem cheap but in your house with room temperature bino's take a bar of soap and scratch the lenses with it, then take a terry cloth towel and rub it away. You then will have fog proof bino's.

If you don't believe me try it next time you take a shower (before) on your bathroom mirror.
    I'll take luck over skill anyday.......

do not use water!!!
    I'll take luck over skill anyday.......

Quote Originally Posted by obsessedLSS View Post
    little OT, but how do you like the Acadia's....i'm going back and forth between them and the Cascades in a 10x42 bino.....
    So far I like them but I've really never had a decent pair of binoculars to compare them to. I haveh the 10x42s

Before you rub any of these compounds on your lenses I would check with the manufacture to make sure that you dont damage the coatings they place on them.

also called scope dope
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JawsDad View Post
    Sometimes, you start a thread thinking; "Self, I'm going to start a thread that's going to help change the world"... This is not one of those threads.

you own spit works well

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzzer View Post
    I also scuba dive and use my scuba mask anti fog gel for my binos. Works great. I have it packed away but I'll did it out this weekend and pm ya. You could also just google search for scuba mask anti fog and products are sure to come up.
    like diving spitting in your mask works well to keep them from fogging up, just a little gross but hey its your spit.

pucker up yer lips like when you suck thru a straw but breath out that way instead, direct your breath down and away from your face, if you just breath hot air rises and will go right up to your binos....or just hold your breath when looking thru them
    I hate Politicians!

put them in your car outside to regulate the temp. i usually have problems on my scopes not my binos but i can see where it could happen all the same. scope dope works for me as well
    2011 BowTech Destroyer 350 70 lbs MossyOak Treestand, Custom Spot Hogg Hunter Hogg it 7 pin Sight .010, Triple Custom Killer Vibe Stabs, AAE Pro Drop Rest, Scott Sabertooth Release, GoldTip Velocity Pro 300's. VaneTec 3" Vanes, G5 T3 Broadheads.

You can buy anti-fog in small foil packs @ BPS they work great on my 8x42 cascades.
    Learn from the mistakes of others, as you will not live long enough to make them all on your own.
    "09" Mathews Reezen 6.5 @ 29" 70#
    CX Mayhem's w/ 100gr. Montec CS @ 434gr

Quote Originally Posted by OBAN View Post
    RainX Anti-Fog works for mine. I used to have a wax from a company out of Montana?, started with a "z". They supposedly sold to skiers and motorcross guys for their goggles. The little container is out in the pickup but I'll get it later and post the name. It worked really good on my Leupold scopes.
    Zooke is the name of the wax I used before. They weren't a well-known company back then but here's a link- http://www.zooke.com/index.html I don't remember paying that much for it but times do change.

a dab of shaving cream smeared on and wiped off works.... it'll work on your bathroom mirror too
    No brand names in this space, please.

Saw it posted above and it really is true......spit.

Once you get over the gross factor of it, try it. I'm not saying to hock a gigantic loogee on your optics. .

Just use a little and smear it around and wipe it clean if you're in a bind.
    "I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

- Tony Campolo

I'll second the Cat Crap! It comes in a small container that fits in your pocket.I asked the Optometrist and was told that any soap based product will work but you will need to re apply as neccessary.If you put it on your glasses and work up a sweat it will still fog up .