Archery Talk Forum banner

How to get over a cow phobia?

8K views 112 replies 89 participants last post by  codykrr 
#1 ·
I have a problem with cows(some might say scared).I was wondering if any one else has the same or gotten over there fear it has caused me miss hunts.This morning I thought I had it wooped but turned around and hunted beside the truck.I need some advise please.

#3 ·
just walk through. they wont do anything. i dont have any phobias though so idk what other advice i can give you.

the above advice is good.

maybe go visit with someone and visit the cows a farm

#5 ·
are you talking cows as in bovines? like cattle? if so then walk through them they are mostly harmless, unless one drops its head while looking at you. then its time to get ready to dodge. if your talking cow elk or cow moose, get a tag for them.:wink:

#6 ·
That sucks that this is ruining your hunting time! I have hunted around cows my whole life and have NEVER had a bad run in with them. They either just stand there or usually run away. I've had a few approach me, but that was usually when I was stalking antelope or something and they didn't know what I was doing or what I was. If I am walking away from them, they also tend to follow. But, once I stood or turned around they stopped advancing. If ever you feel threatened by a cow, just walk towards it and I can guarantee you it will go the opposite direction. I know they are big and all, but they definitely feel inferior to us. Cows with new born calves you might want to give a bit more room...along with the bulls. But, again...I have never had a bad experience with either. Hope this helps man. :)

#10 ·
The key to beating your phobia to grab the bull by the horns.

#11 ·
Go to the auction yard
Buy a drop calf
Go to the Feed Store
Buy Milk replacer and Grain.

Raise the Calf up to maturity.

By the time it's 2 years old it will be full size, and you will be more comfortable around them.

Guaranteed to work, but I don't guarantee your apartment complex manager will like you very much!:wink:

#13 ·
another idae is what we do to any of our new workers that are afraid of cattle. (feedlot and livestock auction yard) we get some of the dumbest and craziest cattle here so you have to be aware of them and not afraid. usually we have the new guy or gal hop on the back of one while they run by or ski behind hanging onto the tail. another thing to try so you dont have to yell is to carry a plastic bag with you and tie it onto the end of a stick and shake it around if they come near. they run the other way pretty quick.

#14 ·
As stated before, other than getting between a cow and her calf you will be fine. I have a buddy that doesnt like them either. I give him a hard time about it all the time. It doesnt effect his hunting, I dont think. Most times they are following you because they think your going to feed them.
Now if your carring a bucket of sweet feed then they will get crazy. So just dont have any in your pockets......

#15 ·
I have no choice but to hunt around cows here they are on our hunting property. In the years i have been hunting I have never had one come after me. Just shine your flashlight at them and they wont mess with you. Not sure why it works but it does.

#16 ·
i hate cows, they hate me. i got the same problem as you. once in a while the young ones get tangled in the fence and if i get remotely close to it, another one will come after me. ive actually ran through heavy woods trying to 'escape'. they know they got control over me!

#17 ·
My one buddies property is cow farm with 300 acres of woods. We ride atv's on the way up otherwise you face a 1/4 mile walk ankle deep in...well you know. I think theyre funny i just moo at them and yell im going to eat you and they look at me like ***. The main thing is to realize there are much more dangerous things in the wild like sasquach and manbearpig

#18 ·
Being from Oklahoma I've never heard of such a thing, best advise I can give is just holler at them shouldn't scare the deer because they hear the farmer or rancher do it all the time. That probably don't help your fear, try spending time around them you'll get use to them.

#19 ·
Evil little things aren't they?!! Always one or two that charge you and try to kill you. Or they start stampeding and running in all directions and you're left standing there screaming like a little girl....that's about a die. I didn't have a phobia before, growing up with cows and such, now I stay the F away when I'm around a herd of cows I don't know. Some of them are frickin' nuts, must be beaten by people or something. Oh, ummm,,, I meant yeh sure, go ahead and walk through that herd with your bow and camo being real sneaky so the deer won't notice, they don't mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.