Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how often do you change your broadhead?

how often do you change your broadhead?

Do most of you do one shot and then sharpen or change to a new one or can you get a couple kills without doing anything to it?

I always throw mechanicals away when I kill a deer with them, I reuse fixed blade for practice after killing deer with them

I make it a point to see how many critters I can kill with each head. As long as it's good, keep on a shootin.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

Every time you win an argument on Archerytalk you still lose because invetibly you're gonna tick off someone else.

I usually toss the mechanicals, but the Magnus Buzzcuts get cleaned and resharpened and go back into the quiver.

Why toss mechanicals? If the blades are not bent or broken, they can be resharpened. I do it all the time.

Why not buy replacement blades for the mechanical broadheads. Still cheaper than buying new broadheads.

I resharpen regularly, but always after shooting at an animal (hit or miss).
    Dan
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." ~~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

I would not ever want to shoot a deer with a bh that has been shot without resharpening it. Heck I resharpen mine from time to time during the season just cause they get dull from pulling them in and out of the quiver I think we owe the deer that much too at least use a sharp bh. Besides I feel like the more you take care of the little details like a sharp bh the better your chances are of recovering your deer. Just mine 2cents.

Mechanials: Sharpen/Change blades each time, they only get thrown away if there broke or bent beyond repair. I wish I had the money to just "throw em away evertime I shoot something"

Fixed: Sharpen them until they cannot be sharpened or until they are broke....then I send them back to Magnus for FREE replacements.
    Elite Answer
    Dead Center Archery Bowhunting Staff Triple Toe Game Calls Pro Staff

i shoot muzzys and just swap out the heads with new ones till i run out of broad heads then buy replacement blades. i bout 2 packs of 6 muzzys, but i am thinking about switching to buzzcuts.

I resharpen prior to shooting at an animal if the head has been shot at anything else. (another animal, target, ground, etc.)

usually if I shoot a deer I just replace the blades and sharpen the tip on a grinder, if need be. No use in buying brand new heads if all that needs replacing is the blades..
    2007 PSE X-Force 6
    Radial XWeave 300 Grain STL Hunters-Smoke Ramcat
    Vapor Trail Limbdriver-PSE Aries 3 pin
    PSE Field Staff

Quote Originally Posted by PAkilla86 View Post
    Mechanials: Sharpen/Change blades each time, they only get thrown away if there broke or bent beyond repair. I wish I had the money to just "throw em away evertime I shoot something"

Fixed: Sharpen them until they cannot be sharpened or until they are broke....then I send them back to Magnus for FREE replacements.
    broke? what is this broke thing you speak of? Must have been a user malfunction, or bad shot, broadheads just
    don't break or fail. somebody was just lecturing me on that...uhm who was it

Quote Originally Posted by baz77 View Post
    I always throw mechanicals away when I kill a deer with them, I reuse fixed blade for practice after killing deer with them
    same here

Most mechanicals are throw away, but on my Tekans I'll replace the blades and then load my quiver with half new, half used. Used are for follow up shots, turkeys, etc. They're just as good as the new heads but, ya know, I'll use the new ones first. If they keep holding up this good, I'll have to use them twice and then make them "backup" broadheads.
    "Git 'er Done!" - LTCG

Quote Originally Posted by matlocc View Post
    Do most of you do one shot and then sharpen or change to a new one or can you get a couple kills without doing anything to it?
    I am sure you could get a few kills out of them, But I like new blade on when hunting. its probally the cheapest thing compared to all the other stuff you need.
    ENJOYING LIFE @ FULLDRAW

Hit or miss they become practice heads.

I change out the blades after each shot, hit or miss and save for practice
    SWITCHBACK XT..GOLD TIP ARROWS..SLICKTRICK 125grn MAG ..COPPER JOHN SIGHTS..VAPOR TRAIL STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by dac View Post
    I would not ever want to shoot a deer with a bh that has been shot without resharpening it. Heck I resharpen mine from time to time during the season just cause they get dull from pulling them in and out of the quiver I think we owe the deer that much too at least use a sharp bh. Besides I feel like the more you take care of the little details like a sharp bh the better your chances are of recovering your deer. Just mine 2cents.
    Same here. I use my KME to touch them up as needed.
    Jerry S - Bowhunting & 3D Enthusiast
    Hoyt Buffalo Recurve & Vectrix Compound
    USA Archery Level 2 Instructor

Shoot, Sharpen, Repeat unless damaged. Fixed or mechanical.
    If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective - Ted Nugent

I would replace them if they look like any of these 3. If they are a good quality head though I would simply check them for damage & if the head is not hurt then resharpen the blades & kill something else with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I only use new blades for one kill

Ill reuse the points. But once the blades have gone into or through something Ill only use them for practice.

I retire a broadhead after its taken a trip through a deer. No good reason, more ritual than anything. If I shot at a deer and missed it would be a practice head. But I need more practice heads than hunting ones anyway.

Am I the only one who likes to keep a banged up BH in the quiver just in case? If I have a woodchuck or coyote or some other varmint
    that happens along under my feet, I'll quick switch out the new head and use the old one for such critters.

Mechanical heads are recycled as practice broadheads once they get shot at an animal.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. Plato
    2013 Hoyt Spyder Turbo, 413 gr Gold Tip XT's, 307 fps, TT Smackdown, BG Ascent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast