Archery Talk Forum banner

Bowtech FLX Guard on older bows????

12K views 80 replies 22 participants last post by  Lyleberry 
#1 ·
Hello, Im a bowtech guy and I have a 08 82nd Airborne and soon to be a 09 sentinel. I was wondering if the new technology of the FLX guard can be mocked up and put on the older bows... I think this would be a hot ticket if it could be done. Anybody know? What do ya'll think?

Richie

#4 ·
I made this one up last summer and it worked pretty good. I could change the point of impact left and right by varying the spring tension. I made 4 different versions of roller guard brackets and this one worked the best on my '09 Admiral.

Attachments

#6 ·
Very interesting! anybody else?

#10 ·
well thats good to know. thanks guys!

#12 ·
the question would be if we can order just the flx guard..... or not. Im sure an adapter can be made some way some how. I dont see bowtech selling just the FLX guard. They would say sure...... with the bow attached to it! haha

#15 ·
I looked at the FLX Guard on the Destroyer 350 I shot:wink: It didn't look like it was adjustable but it DIDN'T look like it couldn't be fitted onto an '09 CP bow. Like Frank C said an adapter piece could be easily made to fit it on the bows,, and I'd like for it to be adjustable. It won't completely eliminate riser torque but it would help. I will say that the shoot through that I have on my Admiral now is the cat's meow,, NO riser torque is better than any at all:wink: I'd HIGHLY recommend to go shoot through on the '09's IF your bow is tuning too far inside for your liking.
I adjusted the rest on the 350 I shot at the shop to shoot bullet holes through the paper with a bare shaft FMJ 400 spine arrow and it tuned slightly inside for me also. The shop owner then shot it and it tore a little for him so I'd say that I have a tendecy to torque the bow inward,, compounding roller guard induced riser torque.

I'm starting to think if I had a roller guard bracket on my Admiral that pulled the cables to the left,, it would make the bow tune to the outside and my inward hand torque would counter the roller guard's outward torque that would be induced by the left sided roller guard. It would probably tune right down the middle for me:wink: The cables would probably be in the sight picture though,, maybe not?

#18 ·
I think I opened up a can of worms! Anybody else have any say in this matter?

#22 ·
On my original roller guard bracket I milled off some material on the inner contact surface to allow the rollers to come inward towards the arrow about 3/16". This made the bow shoot about 2 inches to the right so I moved the rest out enough to get the same POI. Arrow flight was better and center shot was closer to the center without compromizing fletch clearance. I think it was about .050" that I milled off.

#30 ·
I wonder if BT will change the cams so you cant swap cams to make a shoot thru on the 2010s?

Sure would be nice if BT would make the cams like the 08 commander so you could make your own shoot through without having to get the cam switch.

i keep thinking about getting a capt'n or sentinel cheap and doing the swap just because the CP's shoot unlike anything else on the market. But the "consumer" in me says why should i buy something that obviously needs improving

#32 ·
what kind of results? Ive never heard of switching cams.....

#33 ·
If you put two top cams or two bottom cams on the same bow, the cables will run parallel to each other and there will naturally be a 5/8 of an inch space between the cables. Adding a shoot through roller guard bracket to spread the cables enough for fletching clearance will leave you with a shoot through system without roller guard torque. You could probably shoot two vanes or feathers verticle without the roller guard but you still need the cable "trapping" feature of the roller guard for the performance. I made up a cable rod and slide set up for my Admiral and it lost 12 fps because the slide could follow the axle centerlines of the cams.

#36 ·
Has anyone watched the new video on the BT web site compairng the flex guard to the crappy conventional way? I have watched it over and over and just realized........If you watch the last arrow being shot with the flex guard......The flex guard is so good that it takes the flex right out of the arrow. That last arrow does not bend one bit. I'm sold. :rolleyes:

#37 ·
Actually it looks like lateral string movement is very much reduced. I've done enough with my spring loaded roller guard to KNOW that it does work on my '09 Admiral to reduce riser torque. With FLX Guard on the Destroyer and it's more conventional cable rigging (string on left and cables on the right), it does work very well. I shot 3 bare shaft bullet holes through paper at 6 feet with the 350 after I adjusted the rest (for my hand torque) so I know it's very repeatable.

ONE SHOT IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS!:wink:

#38 ·
That isn't going to take away what all that stored energy does to the arrow. Going from static to release with all the stored energy the arrow has to flex.....unless the bow is turned way down and a verry stiff spined arrow and no point weight is used.

#42 ·
So do you think they rigged the video? It looks to me like the FLX guard is really flexing a lot and that would indicate that there is a lot of tension in the cables making it work. Have we ever seen an arrow shot out of a shoot through set up with a high speed camera to show how much flex is actually going on with a shoot through system? If it is very minimal, maybe the FLX Guard on the Destroyer is working pretty good?

#48 ·
I was doing some 80 yards shooting today at lunch. It was 30 degrees but sunny and calm.

#58 ·
no snow here :( MD never gets much snow. Otherwise id have some cool looking toys like that too!

#59 ·
Anybody else think theres a way to mount a FLX guard on an older bow?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.