Thread: will deer still eat mature oats???

will deer still eat mature oats???

I have a plot with buck forage oats and a mix of brassicas(7top turnips, kale, and mustard).

The whole plot is now about 10-12" high. It was planted the last week of Aug.

My question is, at what point will the deer not eat the oats? They have not hammered this plot from the get go, so I was wondering will it mature out to the point they will not eat it? It is still very green right now.
    Its not what I do.........Its who I am..

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

I don't know if they will eat mature oats or not. I planted about the same thing during the first week of Aug. and it was eaten to the ground by the end of Oct. It looks like a mud flat now. I'm surprised you have anything 12" high at this point in time. What are they feeding on around your land? Something must be a better draw than what you've planted. I'm interested in what others have to say on this. This was my first year with food plots and I thought I did something wrong since my plots were "harvested" before the end of bow season.

generally deer prefer the oats early or even up to the point they seed out. My guess is they prefer something else in the area over your plantings.If your food plots continue to show little use over a several year period some have found their dollars best spent on providing cover vs food. I came to this conclusion and planted a former alfalfa field to native grass and it has been far more beneficial. The deer spend more time on my property bedded/browsing and then go to corn/bean fields surrounding me at night. I still have several food plots but, in this area the grasses have been better. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by plotman View Post
    generally deer prefer the oats early or even up to the point they seed out. My guess is they prefer something else in the area over your plantings.If your food plots continue to show little use over a several year period some have found their dollars best spent on providing cover vs food. I came to this conclusion and planted a former alfalfa field to native grass and it has been far more beneficial. The deer spend more time on my property bedded/browsing and then go to corn/bean fields surrounding me at night. I still have several food plots but, in this area the grasses have been better. Just a thought.
    yeah, we have already been thinking about this. We are looking to possibly use corn. Not so much for the food aspect, but rather to let it stand and provide a means of cover from one woodlot to another. Right now the deer are required to cross an open field in daylight to get to each of the woodlots when the rut is on. Which we believe is hampering some of our daylight movement. We are hoping that the corn would provide the deer with just enough cover to help them feel more comfortable moving in daylight. hopefully the corn will help us in a couple of ways.
    Its not what I do.........Its who I am..

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN