Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does a gang green leg mean the whole deer is ruined?

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahog12 View Post
    I wouldn't do it. Gangrene gives me the willys!

Gang Green is a nickname for the New York Jets.
    They stole the nickname from the Eagles. Gang Green was the nickname of the Reggie White lead defenses of the late 80's and early 90's
    "my doggie turned to me and he said, let's head back to Tennessee Jed"
    "Gonna scare you up and shoot ya, Mister Charlie told me so"
    I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
    His hair was perfect

Quote Originally Posted by BaxMaine View Post
    There is a big difference between a "wound" and green smelly puss pouring out of a deer. The rest may be fine, but like you find eating deer guts gross, some of us find eating an animal that is spewing out green smelly puss gross. Im willing to bet food banks wouldn't even take it if they knew about it.
    The puss is simply the result of a wound. I've butchered plenty like that, as have many other people. Cut the bad part away and process the rest like normal. It's no big deal, and certainly no reason to waste an entire deer.
    I never said anything about "eating guts being gross", I don't know where you got that from. I've eaten plenty of the internal organs.

It probably wouldn't hurt you but....

I'd be thinking of that green pus everytime I took a bite---no thanks!

I killed a nice bull moose back in 06 and he had a huge chunk of meat missing from his left hindquarter which had scabbed over and nasty looking. I cut the affected piece of meat off and ate the rest and it was delicious. If the meat smells fine I would not hesitate to eat it.

I wouldnt of even stuck my knife in it.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference....Marines dont have that problem." Ronald Reagan
    09 PSE GX6, Sword sight, Limbdriver Pro, Doinker, Easton epicnfused, Muzzy Broadheads
    Deerview Mirror Prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by M.Magis View Post
    The puss is simply the result of a wound. I've butchered plenty like that, as have many other people. Cut the bad part away and process the rest like normal. It's no big deal, and certainly no reason to waste an entire deer.
    I never said anything about "eating guts being gross", I don't know where you got that from. I've eaten plenty of the internal organs.
    There are different levels of infection, as you describe, a small wound, I would probably cut around it. An entire leg smelling terrible with green puss is an obvious sign that infection does spread, if it didn't, why would anything else but what is around the wound be bad? They use to cut off people's legs and arms with gangreen to prevent the spread of infection, not because they thought it was a cool thing to do. Infection spreads.

If you are ok with it, thats cool. But dont look down on others who find it flat out disgusting.

There are different levels of infection, as you describe, a small wound, I would probably cut around it. An entire leg smelling terrible with green puss is an obvious sign that infection does spread, if it didn't, why would anything else but what is around the wound be bad? They use to cut off people's legs and arms with gangreen to prevent the spread of infection, not because they thought it was a cool thing to do. Infection spreads.

If you are ok with it, thats cool. But dont look down on others who find it flat out disgusting.
    I don't care how hungry I get or what anyone says,I'm not eating people meat!

The infection could have moved to the blood already also. It would not be worth taking a chance on. My brother in law shot one in the leg a few years ago and we found it and shot it again a few weeks later and it was exactly as you desribe this one to be and all of the meat had a bad smell to it.
    2010 Mathews Z7 29/70, QAD Ultra Rest Pro HD, MBG Flashpoint Red Zone,CX Maxima 350's, Rage 2 Blade

I am usually very open minded about such issues.......but I don`t care if the surgeon general comes on here and says it is OK to eat the unaffected meat.....I ain`t doing it.
    1960 Bear Grizzly 48@28"/Spigarelli BB 25" w/ SF Ultimate Pro medium limbs 40# @ 28"/2013 Wes Wallace Mentor 46@ 28"/Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" hybrid longbow 46@ 28"/DAS Dalaa 21" w/SF Premium Carbon 46# @ 28"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    I am usually very open minded about such issues.......but I don`t care if the surgeon general comes on here and says it is OK to eat the unaffected meat.....I ain`t doing it.
    Im bookmarking this post, we finally agree on something.

I shot a buck 2 years ago late season that was handicapped in the back end. My father-in law has been bowhunting since they started here in Kansas. He knew something wasn't right w/ the buck just looking at it. He told me not to eat it. I argued w/ him. I hung it in his barn and when I pulled the skin down past one of the hips, all this nasty puss came oozing out. It was the worst smellin stuff ever. The buck had a hole the size of a tennis ball above his hip and it ran along his spine, one huge empty cavity. Needless to say I gave the yotes a good meal
    07 Bowtech Guardian; 28" @ 62lbs
    Slick Trick ViperTrick 100g
    Easton Axis N Fused 340's @ 425 grains

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    I agree. I mean if it were just a small wound that you could cut out and all was good, fine but when you have to cut off the entire leg of the deer, no way.

I will not run the risk of getting sick over it. I would just go back out and fill another tag since I started with 5.

Im bookmarking this post, we finally agree on something.
    As you grow older, I am confident we will agree on more and more subjects.

This is a start......
    1960 Bear Grizzly 48@28"/Spigarelli BB 25" w/ SF Ultimate Pro medium limbs 40# @ 28"/2013 Wes Wallace Mentor 46@ 28"/Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" hybrid longbow 46@ 28"/DAS Dalaa 21" w/SF Premium Carbon 46# @ 28"

Quote Originally Posted by M.Magis View Post
    Once again, it's fine. Amazing how many people will waste an entire deer over one small area.
    If the infection was throughout the entire deer the deer would have been dead.
    cut off the leg the rest will be fine. when a person gets gangreen do we kill the person ? No we cut the leg off. dont waste the meat it will be fine.
    if you die then we know I was wrong. just kidding.
    any infection that spresds gangreen obviously did not spread or the deer would have died. besides when you cook the meat the tempeature will kill any bacteria . all meat even super market meat contains bacteria.
    do some research before the animal is wasted.

hutning coyotes is way more fun that puking infected deer meat. sacrafice that one for the sake of predator control and kill another

we all want to respect the animal and not waste meat....but this sort of infection seems to be pretty bad...odds are the rest of the meat is prolly good....but its not really worth eating it and getting sick over it...since there are so many that seem to disagree on the matter and no one really KNOWS if its okay or not...i wouldnt be willing to take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyboy View Post
    If the infection was throughout the entire deer the deer would have been dead.
    cut off the leg the rest will be fine. when a person gets gangreen do we kill the person ? No we cut the leg off. dont waste the meat it will be fine.
    if you die then we know I was wrong. just kidding.
    any infection that spresds gangreen obviously did not spread or the deer would have died. besides when you cook the meat the tempeature will kill any bacteria . all meat even super market meat contains bacteria.
    do some research before the animal is wasted.

Gangrene is the death of tissue in a particular body part. The problem you have with gangrene in wild game is you don't know how long the animal has had the infected appendage. As for death being an issue, yes death will generally occur eventually, but not quickly. As the dead tissue begins to rot on the live animal sepsis (blood poisoning) will set in, which is where the bacteria begins to spread throughout the body and the blood will flow with this inflammatory bacteria. That being said, the whole animal will have the infection throughout it's body within short time.

When you shot this deer did it seem slow, disoriented or sick?

I took a friend out last year on our place, he shot at a deer but claimed he never hit it. The following weekend I went out and jumped this same deer. The deer slowly came to his feet and just stared at me from 20 yards away. It never attempted to run and I put it down. One of the hind legs had a nasty wound from the week prior and this deer smelled awful. We left it for the coyotes.

Unless you in desperate need of the meat and this is the only way to feed your family then I would probably go to a food bank before I would subject my family to consuming this deer. If you have another tag then go out and try and harvest another one.

I don't think I would eat it!

Shot a rifle buck a few years back that had gang green in the front like from a arrow hit. Threw away the bad leg, the rest was fine.
    -Nick

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin

i shot a deer one time that had big nasty green puss pocket from a shotgun slug in his neck. the whole deer had a funky smell to it and didn't look right. no way was i going to eat it. and its another reason i process my own deer; i don't want someone else deciding that its ok for me to eat it - even if they wouldn't.

well hers what I mean when I say research. just as I said.
    www.best-venison.com
    its quite common. processors se this alot especially during the rut or post rut. they say cut out the bad and the rest is fine...
    dont listen to folks who have the balls to kill. yet will say. no way without even doing research? Hunters ethical??? for once everybody take five minuites and find somthing that experts say the whole deer is bad.

Hate to do this but...

the word is gangrene. As mentioned before, infections vary from local to systemic. I'd trust my nose. If the meat away from the obvious infection smells o.k., it's probably o.k. If this gives you the willies, no matter what, just feed your dogs or the local coyotes. It's not worth the stress.

The associated bacterial infection would release cocktail of systemic toxins. In my opinion, I would consider the meat spoiled. Not worth the risk. Even if the rest of the deer is "fine" or doesn't smell, the meat will be spoiled upon butchering. Definitely not worth the risk/effort.

I would knowingly eat any animal that has fever.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyboy View Post
    well hers what I mean when I say research. just as I said.
    www.best-venison.com
    its quite common. processors se this alot especially during the rut or post rut. they say cut out the bad and the rest is fine...
    dont listen to folks who have the balls to kill. yet will say. no way without even doing research? Hunters ethical??? for once everybody take five minuites and find somthing that experts say the whole deer is bad.

I have enough understanding of toxicology and microbial biology to say with full confidence that I can render and "expert" opinion....... you CAN eat the meat, but you could also do all sorts of risky things and get away with it. I would strongly advise against it and would not have my family eat it. One thing about science, there is always more than one answer, just consider the source.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast