Thread: Colleges with Archery Programs

Colleges with Archery Programs

Does anybody have a list of colleges with archery programs, I am a junior and would love to go to a college with an archery team.

2012 Elite Hunter ninja, CBE tek hunter, limbdriver

Hoyt Vantage Elite, White with purple anodized cams, limb pockets, and rest
    Fuse front bar w/ 6oz weight, Shrewd back bar and adjustable bracket. Best score so far--300 53x

Archery isn't a varsity sport anymore in college but it has recessed into a "club sport" and there are a few schools that still dominate the FITA collegiate circuit. Penn Tech in Pennsylvania is one, I believe they have won the last 3 or so national titles or maybe more, can't recall. James Madison University is another competitive archery school, that's where Braden Gellenthien went to school and they do well too. I shoot at Penn State and we don't really have a very structured club competitively speaking but we hold our own.

Penn Tech would probably be your best bet as far as being coached, etc but I think they had 3 or 4 of the 10 All-Americans last year so it's pretty stiff competition.

Good luck and welcome to college archery

Unity College in Maine - there are a ton of people on AT that go there - they can offer more infor
    PSE Archery * Trophy Ridge * Rocket Aeroheads * Vortex Optics * The Buck Bomb * Under Armour * John's Custom Strings * DLC Covert Cameras

are there any scholarship opportunities?

Fuse front bar w/ 6oz weight, Shrewd back bar and adjustable bracket. Best score so far--300 53x

Liberty University in Lynchburg VA. has an archery club.
    They host some 3D shoots and have aspirations to grow to compete with other schools. They have archery hunting for the members of their club too on the mountian next to the school (was like 500 acres I think).
    T.R.U. PRO on here is a Mathews pro and coaches their program.
    All for HIS glory! / Hunt hard or go home!
    09 Elite GT 500 Ninja / 08.5 GT 500 G1 camo
    T.R.U. Ball Shooting Staff / Vapor Trail Shooting Staff
    Steves Archery / Twin Oaks Archery

Texas A&M has a great program and setup from what I've read and heard.

www.tamuarchery.com

I know some people that have attended their events and they rave about how excellent the facility is.

Plus, it's a heck of a lot warmer than Minnesota.

Google is your friend

A quick Google search turns up uscollegiatearchery.org/clubs/

Quote Originally Posted by NY911 View Post
    Unity College in Maine - there are a ton of people on AT that go there - they can offer more infor
    As NY911 said theres a couple of us on here. not many though but if you need any info on Unity give me a shout.
    Mathews MR7
    Mathews Triumph
    Mathews Helim
    Dead Center Archery Products,Whalens Release Aids

Quote Originally Posted by JawsDad View Post
    Texas A&M has a great program and setup from what I've read and heard.

www.tamuarchery.com

I know some people that have attended their events and they rave about how excellent the facility is.
    I am really liking A&M right now, but I do kinda like Minnesota.

Schools

Graduated from Texas A&M and I can not say what other Schools have for facilities but A&M has world class facilities and an excellent team (or atleast they were when I was there)
    PSE X-Force, Sims Drop Away Rest, Gold Tip 7595 with feathers

God, Family, Hunting, Mountain Biking and Hiking - In that order!!!shade:

Michigan State has a team.

Purdue also has a team.

Here is what I know about college archery after two years and what you should know so you can make a realistic decision:

1. There are no scholarships

2. There are not a whole lot of shoots. If you want to shoot a number of shoots you better get to know your local scene because your college club will probably, at best, do ten shoots (2-4 is much more likely) per year. You can do that many a month for half the money if you go to school somewhere with a strong archery scene.

3. There is no college 3-D. College Archery is run by USA Archery which is strictly FITA. Learn to shoot a freestyle rig and learn to shoot dual 70's and full FITA's. If you don't know what I'm talking about do some FITA before you decide on going to a particular University just because it has an archery team.

4. It is a club sport with low participation and one which Universities are not overly excited about having. There are also complications with keeping equipment on campus (especially dorm rooms-too much drunken tomfoolery to be having weapons around).

A lot of this seems negative, but I just thought I should let you know before you commit to a school because it has an archery program. Just remember, archery does not and will not pay your bills so choose a school that is the right fit for you academically. Having gone to a University with no college archery, and one with college archery, I would strongly advise you to keep that as a very minor consideration in planning your collegiate adventures. For example: Liberty University is probably great for archery. It would be a terrible fit if you are not a fundamentalist Baptist or wanted a degree in mechanical engineering. Purdue might be great if you wanted a degree in mechanical engineering but maybe not so good if you wanted a degree in geography. These things are way more important then a college archery club. Also keep in mind the cost of out of state tuition. You probably don't want $60,000 looming over your head so that you can shoot a couple of regional shoots and two national shoots with a fancy t-shirt on.

Just my $0.02,

Mason
    Last edited by mrdanner; December 9th, 2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling

James Madison University has a great program and was mentioned in a earlier post. I had a chance to meet Coach Ryder at a fundraiser and he is a first class guy besides being a great coach. The event was to support the Adam Wheatcroft Memorial Scholarship Foundation. It has raised over 182,000.00 to help the archery program over the last 6 years. Adam was the son of a good friend of mine and the best archer I ever met.Cancer took him way to soon.

As mentioned - Texas A&M has a great program. So does Arizona State University.

Ironically, some schools do have half rides, if you're a girl. Title IX somewhat forces some schools to offer stuff to women in sports they can compete in to offset football.

Most college archery programs are club sports, as mentioned.
    Get used to FITA distances.

-Steve
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by whitetailboy View Post
    are there any scholarship opportunities?
    The NFAA offers scholarships.

Gig em aggies tamu

I went to UW-Eau Claire which would be pretty close to home for you and they have a nice archery facility. They also have leagues and I know they past few years they have had 5-spot tournaments where both a flagship Hoyt and Mathews were given away.

Might be worth checking out. The hill is terrible, but its a great way to keep from gaining the freshman 15.