Archery Talk Forum banner

99% let-off

5K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  Roskoes 
#1 ·
does anyone know if it is legal to shoot 99% let-off bows in illinois? i was told by concept archery that it was illigal in 4 states, but they didn't know if illinois was one of them. you would think they would be more knowledgeable about the states their bows would be legal to hunt in.

#2 ·
My first question is where would you find a bow with that kind of let off????????? Next if you could get that kind of letoff it would almost have to be a lock up situation(where the bow is totally locked at full draw with no pressure).:wink:

#7 ·
Yeah - he has been around for a while.

I believe this is the guy that shot himself in the foot (literally and figuratively) demonstrating that the bow would not fire hanging by its own weight.

There is the concept of taking a good thing too far...

#8 ·
Shooting high letoff bows does not equate to poor shooting performance of the bows. To the opposite they are very smooth depending on the design and just as shock free on the shot as many of the top bows today. I know because I have built many. Any Cammed system has the ability to get high letoff.......wheel bows or lever bows. The problem is they must be very accurate draw stop equiped to keep them out of lockup. If you change draw lengths on this type of bow you must reset draw stops usually more care taken as you drop the draw length. I have shot the concept bows and they are a very good bow. They hold and balance well and you can sit at full draw for 10 times the amount of time on a bow at 65%. The bow that I shoot also has the same key points but is a bit more adjustable to the archer than any other high letoff bow.

Just a point to remember letoff in wheel bows is a energy user not an additive in wheel bows...........not true in lever bows. I have tested this on lever bows that do not have the addition of cams (Onieda) and from 95% down to 65% there is a total loss of around 3 FPS.

I believe the new Speed bows realized that this was a good place to gain back speed hence the lobed systems during letoff cycle to offset the energy loss to letoff and get the bow speed faster wher it needs to be.

Lots of tech out there waiting to be seen or found.:wink:

#9 ·
No letoff factor in Illinois that I know of. I live here. Of course, shooting any animal for the record books and you get a * beside the score, shot other than with 65% letoff. Maybe that's what you thinking of.
The 99% letoff is something to get use to, but only letting down and depends on draw weight. I tried one with the bow set to 45 pounds. I didn't think was going to let down, but it did. As Deezlin put, you can hold it for a good while, has a solid wall and shoots fine. Just me, I'll stay with 75%.

#15 ·
Concept archery. I think that is the correct name. I don't remember the exact let-off, but it was better than 90%.
In fact, I remember that at one time, Tink was a spokesperson for them. His pic was all over their brochures.

#13 ·
80% is the maximum let-off allowed in Colorado. I think this bow would interesting to try, though. I tend to shoot best when I pull into the back wall somewhat anyway, so that is how I presume this bow was designed to shoot. And, as for holding full draw for an extended period . . . . .

#32 ·
Idaho is at 85% and 300 gr arrow minimum.
I find these laws amusing......do the C.O.s carry a bow scale, treestep and a calculator when performing equipment checks?

You can take a binary style cam and many times get at least 90% let off out of them. Many guys hunting these two states that are shooting binary cams and are unfamiliar with tuning them might easily be wallking around with a bow that is >85% let off.

#22 ·
They use needle axles, so they only require minimal force to get started. The one I had before it was stolen actual had 98% letoff with a 36 to 40 lbs draw weight. It had a very easy draw, once you got used to it. I am disabled and shoot one handed with a mouth tab. I could shoot 5 lbs more draw weight with the Concept bow.

I am planning to buy another one for hunting season. It is great to be able to draw and hold and hold.

Targeting shooting I did notice that I would every now and them anticipate the shot, but on windy days it was nice to be able waitout a strong gust. If your used to strong shots and good back tention you will not have a problem.

#23 ·
I had a monster set to 92% letoff and a Oneida set to 94% letoff and i will say i wouldn't go more than the 92%. When you release the string on the 94% it doesn't even go right away! It will cause you much grief in your accuracy kinda like a hang fire on a muzzleloader lol. Personally 85-90% is better than 95+.

#27 ·
I bought a Concept Archery Mini 29 last year and hunted all season. I love the bow. It is very accurate out to 40 yards (that is all I shoot). I shoot groups smaller than my fist at 40 yards. It draws just like any other bow (60 lbs. draw) however, at the end of the draw cycle it rolls over into 99% let off. It helped my shooting b/c I could concentrate on the pins rather than be concerned with holding the draw. It shoots fast and I got passthroughs on all my animals.

#31 ·
Hello All,

Our bows will not lock up unless the draw stop is removed, as with many other bows manufactured by other companies.

All models do switch to 80% let off with a 180% rotation of the bottom axle. I hunted Colorado two years ago and had to switch to 80%. After shooting 99% for 3 years, going to 80%, well was awful.

Treat every bow as a DANGEROUS weapon, which it is. I'm not going to say more than that. Use it properly and use your head/common sense.

Tink Nathan is our Hunt Director, not spokesperson.

Here is a review of our Mini29 by Heritage Hunters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-mHYKQqVTg

We are an honest and true company. We advertise true IBO's and show the mass weight in pounds and ounces, not 3.9 pounds if the bow weighs 3 pounds 15 ounces. All bows are made with top quality components, all of which are made in the U.S.A.

Thanks for you interest and God bless.
~Concept Archery

#33 ·
I have never heard of anyone being checked, or that the Game and Fish is packing around equipment to check it. We got checked by a very thorough female game warden last year. Measured the cut of our broadheads. Looked for luminocks and lighted reticles on our sights. Never mentioned let off %.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.