Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Cold Weather" Gloves

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
    There is no such thing as "warm" gloves when it is truly cold out. Get a muff and some heat packs, and wear a very thin pair of gloves.
    That's my strategy as well when hunting from a tree stand. I use heavier Cabelas Gortex gloves while still hunting but admit I have to take them off before I shoot to decrease the chance of my string hitting them after I release a shot.

25 years ago, I went into an Outdoor shop and they had a pair of gloves sitting there with the fingers submerged in a bowl full of ice water. So I put them on and put my hands in the water. Stood there for about 5 minutes and my hands never got wet or cold. I was in college at the time and they wanted $50 for them, but heard they were having their annual 50% off sale soon. Went back the day of the sale and bought them........Gates Goretex with Thinsulate insulation. I still have that pair and have since picked up another pair. I can't even find new Gates gloves today that are the same. I have tried other Goretex/Thinsulate gloves as well and they aren't the same either. I have never had cold or wet hands with these, and I have hunted in below zero temps many times before. I use them while skiing as well.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 LH PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

I just got a pair of Cabela's gore-tex thinsulate shooting gloves for $37. They don't seem to bulky for 150 gram gloves. I'll be trying them this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
    There is no such thing as "warm" gloves when it is truly cold out. Get a muff and some heat packs, and wear a very thin pair of gloves.
    WINNER WINNER WINNER, I actually have a hoodie, I wear doing the same thing. I do use a pair of scent lock gloves, they are thin lightweight, and have a certain amount of insulatoin due to the"scent lock" lining.....
    Isaiah 49:2 <><

I have a pair of Cabelas waterproof gloves. They have 150g Thinsulate in them. They are pretty good glove but to big for hunting. You can use them for gun hunting but you have to be careful putting your finger on the trigger. They were like 29.99 a couple years ago. I just looked at there website and they do not have the one I bought any more. The closest thing to them looks like the Cabelas goretex shooting gloves. These should keep your hands warm enough from the truck and back.

I'm also looking for the magic gloves you are seeking. I never get cold when I'm moving, but once I stand/sit still, my hands get cold first.

It does seem there are tradeoffs that are not possible to optimize.

I am leaning towards the convertable mittens too that accept hand warmers, but the muff sound like it may be the better solution for sitting in a treestand. I tried on every glove that Bass Pro Shops had in stock and these were the only ones I liked the fit and feel of:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...:referralID=NA

I am really disappointed in the fit and quality of the Red Head brand anything, but I really like all the Under Armor coldgear I have tried and/or purchased.

Ray

I bowhunt all over Michigan in every weather. I wear one pair of wool full finger gloves, covered by wool mittens with no thumb and flip back finger tip cover. I just leave out my trigger finger. Sometimes I dont even put the mittens on. Depends on the conditions. Works great late season.

Quote Originally Posted by boonerman View Post
    That's my strategy as well when hunting from a tree stand. I use heavier Cabelas Gortex gloves while still hunting but admit I have to take them off before I shoot to decrease the chance of my string hitting them after I release a shot.
    You call yourself booner man and have time to take off gloves?

Quote Originally Posted by wis_archer View Post
    Am I the only one that cannot find a warm pair of gloves that are...

Warm
    Manuverable
    Waterproof
    So what did you end up with? Did it work for you?

I bought the HSS muff and use the UnderArmor glove liners. So far so good. But I'll have to get to some extreme cold before I knwo if they really work in the cold. And they are not waterproof.

Ray

You other hardcore ice fishermen will appreciate this...

ICE ARMOR GLOVES

Not the giant bulky pair, the smaller pair. I ice fish in these at times hole hopping in subzero temps - grabbing fish out of the water to land them. I use one of these on my bow hand, the release hand goes in a pocket or muff with handwarmer. Sometimes you need to hold your bow and be ready. You can hold a bow in extremely cold weather for a couple of hours before your hand gets cold. Things are amazing and do not affect the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray.Klefstad View Post
    So what did you end up with? Did it work for you?

I bought the HSS muff and use the UnderArmor glove liners. So far so good. But I'll have to get to some extreme cold before I knwo if they really work in the cold. And they are not waterproof.

Ray
    I found a pair of 150 gram thinsulate supreme gloves from cabelas (dry plus) for cheap

As warm as I need for moving around in really cold temps, they are dry plus, advertised as waterproof -- they work as such when I was out in the snow, but when I held my glove under water for a couple minutes some of the finger tips began to leak a bit (no big deal to me).

by far the closest to meet my needs

http://www.graywolfwoolens.com/store...&cat=38&page=1
    Green and growing or ripe and rotting?
    Obsession Evolution 60#
    Lone Wolf & Millenium stands, Gray Wolf Woolens- Predator Camo, Zen Ray & Vortex Optics, MBG Rush, ProV, Easton DOA, Grim Reaper 1 3/8" heads

For warm lightweight gloves that are good for temps into the teens, get some military pilot's gloves. I think they're called Nomex? Anyway sometimes they can be found at surplus stores or online surplus sites.
    USUALLY THE HUNTERS THAT WERE NEVER ANY GOOD AT HUNTING WILL SHOOT A SPIKE.they just dont know any better and never will amount to anything .......sproulman
    I think meat hunters is another name for "Bad Hunter" or "Low Patience Hunter"....grfox
    Meat hunter=Don't have time/and or patience to hold out for mature buck.....173BC

I use a hand muff with hand warmers, or keep my hands in my pockets with hand warmers with thin fleece gloves. I wear a warm pair of ice armour mittens out to the stand and put them on again when I leave!! This works great!!
    2011 ATHENS ACCOMPLICE 34
    http://www.jayhawkoptics.com JAYHAWK OPTICS YOUR SOURCE FOR VORTEX OPTICS AND ATHENS BOWS
    Team #37 Lung Busters
    Seeking out new sights on the strength of my feet and the courage of my lungs

Its not as cold here as up north however I layer my gloves I buy a form fitting insulated glove then I buy the rubber gloves for mixing chemicals & slide my gloved hand inside @ this point they are insulated , waterproof & wind proof.

Im on heavy equipment all day in the weather this will keep your hands warm to a cetain degree & once in the stand you can easily remove the outer glove for shooting.
    Learn from the mistakes of others, as you will not live long enough to make them all on your own.
    "09" Mathews Reezen 6.5 @ 29" 70#
    CX Mayhem's w/ 100gr. Montec CS @ 434gr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12