Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can a deer hang?

How long can a deer hang?

I shot a deer tonight, i am at college now and will be going back home next Tuesday, 8 days from now. I am in Duluth MN so it is less than 10 degrees and will be until i go home. I have a garage to hang the deer in, but it is so cold i don't wanna stand out there for a few hours to butcher it, i have a large heated shop to butcher it in at home, so my question is. Can i leave the deer hang for the week or should i quarter it out, and throw it in the deep freeze until i take it home?

Mathews Z7 Magnum, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, Doinker, Vapor Trail Strings, GT Pro Hunters, Slick Tricks and a Chevy

Let it hang as long as its below freezing most of the time.
    JMO

marty

You could wrap it in cheese cloth. it can be found at wal mart for a couple of bucks, that will help, i leave mine hang for around 5 days normally anyway so you should be fine
    14 FAKTOR 34 - 12 ALPHA ELITE - 11 ALPHABURNER -
    04 FRANKEN-TEC

I'd get the hide off it now and then wrap it in cheese cloth. It should be fine if the temps stay low. I think the meat of all the game I've taken tastes better if I the the hide off pronto.

id let it hang...
    OZONICS- proof that with leased land, and enough technology, even Tom Nelson and Jay Gregory can actually kill something.

no worries let it hang, and imo i wouldnt worry about taking the hide off, or cheese cloth.

someone educate me what is the cheese cloth for?
    pick a spot and follow through let the snyper do the rest

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy1 View Post
    no worries let it hang, and imo i wouldnt worry about taking the hide off, or cheese cloth.

someone educate me what is the cheese cloth for?
    I agree with you, I leave the hide on.
    I believe the cheese cloth keeps the meat from burning in the cold, and helps preserve it.

marty

Quote Originally Posted by Keener View Post
    I'd get the hide off it now and then wrap it in cheese cloth. It should be fine if the temps stay low. I think the meat of all the game I've taken tastes better if I the the hide off pronto.
    I don't care what anyone says, I've noticed a great difference in taste since getting the hide off as quickly as possible and letting it cool down. Been doing it for 10 years now.

t

After the hide is off, the cheese cloth will keep dust off the meat. Too cold for bugs. If the area is clean, don't worry about it.

I like to let the hideless meat rest for a while before butchering anyway. The shiny, tough film it gets is what I'm after. I'm a firm believer in getting the hide off! Elk, white tail, and ESPECIALLY antelope and mountain mule deer! Oil in the hide will taint the meat.

I cringe seeing guys pull up to the processor with animals non-quartered with the hide on. Nasty IMHO and a waste. That's why I now butcher my own.

HIDE OFF!!! and it sounds like its already in the deep freeze.
    Mathews is an advertising agency that also happens to make bows...

I will take the hide off, but is it necessary to do the cheese cloth if it is in a clean garage

What is cheese cloth and what section of wal-mart is it found?
    Mathews Z7 Magnum, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, Doinker, Vapor Trail Strings, GT Pro Hunters, Slick Tricks and a Chevy

The "cheese cloth" is often just called a "game bag" and they do usually have them at Walmart. I use them to keep the bugs off.

I agree with theothers - get the hide off while the animal is still warm if possible.

Then hang for 3 to 5 days.

Ray

Size matters....

Big deer usually needs to age longer than small ones to tenderize the beasts. Specially a rutty one. But once the carcass freezes, it stops the aging (tenderizing) process. It's recommended to keep the deer just above freezing until butchering. (not letting it freeze)

Also, once the carcass freezes, getting the hide off (even after it thaws) is much more difficult. (I am told by butchers)

I just found this stuff out this year, after doing a bunch of research online, and talking with the butchers.

One weird thing I don't know is what happens when the meat is re-frozen after hanging it till it freezes? When you thaw out something from the freezer, and the re-freeze it.... It never tastes right. I would think this is the same with a deer?????
    --------------------------------
    "RoadTrips" Tree Saddle, Muddy Sticks & Petzl Aiders?..... "A Killer Combo!"
    My limbs are just fine.... Unlike the '02 TomKat that "detonated" (limbs failed twice) many years ago!

I like getting the hide off ASAP and once you get that done, it doesn't take long to quarter it, then what I do if I am not going to be de-boning is put it in doubled 6mil contractor garbage bags and stick it in the fridge. You mentioned that you are at college, I bet somebody has room in a keg fridge somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenLimbs View Post
    Big deer usually needs to age longer than small ones to tenderize the beasts. Specially a rutty one. But once the carcass freezes, it stops the aging (tenderizing) process. It's recommended to keep the deer just above freezing until butchering. (not letting it freeze)

Also, once the carcass freezes, getting the hide off (even after it thaws) is much more difficult. (I am told by butchers)

I just found this stuff out this year, after doing a bunch of research online, and talking with the butchers.

One weird thing I don't know is what happens when the meat is re-frozen after hanging it till it freezes? When you thaw out something from the freezer, and the re-freeze it.... It never tastes right. I would think this is the same with a deer?????
    Good point... I don't let the meat freeze. I use coolers with a little ice in 10 degree temps to keep it from freezing. Surprising how long it will take for quarters to cool to freezing.

If it's cold enough we let them hang at let's a week but so times in bow season sometimes only a day or two

Nice job bud! Just before finals, good timing. From one bulldog to another, way to stick it out. Its been kinda windy and not super warm.

Everyone has had good input so far, but in my opinion you're not gonna hurt the meat by letting it hang. It's not like you're aging it cuz it's most definitely going to freeze. For aging it's supposed to sit between 32-45 for a week or two. I've heard they get a bit gamey once they've frozen and thawed then frozen again, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Am I the only one that thinks we need pics?

leave the hide on, there just isnt any reason to take it off when its this cold, the only reason to removed it would be to cool it out and in 10 deg it will freeze solid before you wake up tomorrow, if you take the hide off you will just have to loose that much more meat and take that much more time trimming. i left one deer hang for 18days when it didnt get above freezing (mind you this was mainly because i needed it to unthaw to butcher it) and it was the best tasting deer i have had yet.
    -08 Alpine Silverado Match Grade
    -Old Hoyt Superslam for the Carp

Embraced a dream that was a nightmare only yesterday...

I would leave the hide on also....helps keep the moisture in. i have done it both ways and I cannot tell any difference in taste. I have a deer hanging that was killed almost 3 weeks ago..it will be nicely aged.... Solohunter

Absolutely no reason to take the hide off as some others have said it protects the meat and keeps in moisture. A couple of things to consider....try not to let the meat freeze and the other is you must do a diligent job cleaning up the wound area and neck and rear of deer(inside cavity) cut out all clotting and bruising around wound. This is always a good practice and especially if you are going to hang for a period of time. But, in conclusion, I will agree it is MUCH easier getting the hide off a freshly killed deer than one that has aged.

Not saying it's the right way but typically I let one hang in the barn with the hide on for 1-2 days, no longer than 3 days then I skin and quarter and process it. Never had any problems that way but I'm always game for learning better ways.
    If you fight fire with fire, all you do is burn your fingers too

Quote Originally Posted by bigracklover View Post
    Not saying it's the right way but typically I let one hang in the barn with the hide on for 1-2 days, no longer than 3 days then I skin and quarter and process it. Never had any problems that way but I'm always game for learning better ways.
    Notice he's from minnesota, he won't be taking the hide of in 3 days, this deer will be like a cement block this morning already, you either have to cut up the deer right away, or plan on doing it after it thaws out after a couple of days in a heated area.

Jmo,, I take the hide off first chance i get before the deer cools down. I was told by a butcher friend that each hair folicle on a deer has a little oil sack and when the body temp. gets below a certain temp. , they break and will absorb into the meat leaving a gameier taste. Can't swear to that but it makes sense. I won't let them freeze , but i do like to leave them hang hideless for at least 3-5 days. I have buddies that will leave them hang for weeks,, I can't do that.... Good luck..

We like to let them hang by the neck until the body separates from the head and they fall. We know they are good and tender then.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenLimbs View Post

Exactly, don't let it freeze before butchering. I skin, quarter and debone my deer, then put them in a refrigerator for 10-14 days before final butchering. All the rump meat cuts become steak on the grill quality.

I also get my deer from shot to frig. as quickly as possible, no messing around.

The quality improvement I have seen doing this, is dramatic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast