Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderweb target mesh

Spyderweb target mesh

Anyone know where to buy the material used to front spyderweb targets? Looks like some type of fiberglass mesh.

sine labore nihil

I don't know about Spyderweb, but I bought several rolls of insulation from Home Depot, and they came bundled in huge fiberglass sacks (6 rolls per bag, so they're really huge) I had an old bag target in my basement range on its last leg, so I restuffed it with old clothes, double bagged the whole thing, and it's better than new. It's not super dense material so I'd probably double up, but I'm sure HD would be more than happy to not have to dispose of it and you can't beat the price.

Quote Originally Posted by skynight View Post
    Anyone know where to buy the material used to front spyderweb targets? Looks like some type of fiberglass mesh.
    they use to sell it separate on their web-site. I haven't been on there in a while so I don't know if they still do.

I used fiberglass screen material to contain the stuffing in my target.

Its made from old recycled army sleeping bags.
    When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by eflanders View Post
    I used fiberglass screen material to contain the stuffing in my target.

How well does it hold up after shooting it? I think it would rip apart after a few shots.

Spyvlar

I purchased a 48" length of 60"spyvlar after destroying several block targets, an American Whitetail, and wearing out a carpet faced target. I shoot 50-60 arrows per day, on average. The feedback I was hearing on the carpet face was excessive wear on the carbon shafts, due to an abrasive dust in the backing, so I ordered a piece of fabric from the folks at Spyderweb.
    It was pricey, around $15 a linear foot plus shipping, which put my total at about $75. I made a 28" x28" x 12" plywood frame, with a thin plywood back and a removable top.I also made a 16x16 for a 40cm target. All stuffed with rags, most of which I got free from the local thrift store. I have perhaps 9 months of use in the targets, target points only! There is some minor thread damage, not too serious. The fabric is a woven product, that allows the fibers to slide out of the way. I shoot recurve, and If I shot compound, I might consider a deeper target.
    unreformed meddler

The range where I go, they have several of the Spyder Web targets which use the 'patented' Spylar (or whatever it's called) covers. The material actually holds up terrific. You can shoot all day and not make a noticeable mark in the material. The owner told me they paid $700+ each for the targets.

I studied them a bit and they are constructed very similar to the targets discussed in the Lifetime Targets thread with cloth filler and all, except it uses their special mesh.

The material is a weaved material like burlap, but made with some tough plastic or composite strands, and maybe with some type of coating also. I am currently making a cloth filled target and would love to find something similar that is easy to get. I guessed the stuff would co$t a fortune to buy from the manufacturer. I was thinking of trying some burlap and coating it with some spray teflon, or something similar.

Any ideas???

I've been searching fiberglass mesh online and there is a lot of stuff that looks similar but without plunking down the money I don't know how you would find if it is suitable. I'm guessing that they buy it somewhere to make their targets.
    sine labore nihil

Quote Originally Posted by Jhorne View Post
    Not the same as spyder web, but if it works that is pretty cheap.

A 3'x12' roughly piece, $16.

The spyvlar fabric is a loose weave, which allows the arrow shaft to push the threads of (nylon?) fabric aside. After you withdraw the arrow, the hole remains, until it is closed up by a near hit in the fabric. The trampoline fabric may work, but differently. Beause the Spyvlar moves somewhat easily, it is less likely to bread a thread.
    unreformed meddler

If you know someone that works in a paper mill ask them to get you a fabric off the paper machine next time they change them. It is the exact same as the spyderweb targets. My dad works in a paper mill and they change out the fabrics quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Q2XL Hunter View Post
    If you know someone that works in a paper mill ask them to get you a fabric off the paper machine next time they change them. It is the exact same as the spyderweb targets. My dad works in a paper mill and they change out the fabrics quite often.
    Looking around the net for paper machine fabric, I found this plus a lot of other links. No real success, yet.

These are the closest looking to SpyderWeb, it is a polyester material. No pricing though and it is Chinese:

http://www.wiremeshdragon.cn/polyester-plain-fabric.htm

Another fabric from the same site, Getting closer:

http://www.wiremeshdragon.cn/polyest...ing-fabric.htm

This might be it:

http://www.wiremeshdragon.cn/polyest...ing-fabric.htm

Able to buy it here????: At work, can't search any more but I bet someone comes up with a Stateside supplier and pricing.....

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/27...ming_mesh.html

I found a couple types under the name monofilament nylon mesh fabric, but finding a stateside source is difficult. It looks like most stateside suppliers are the producers and they want a minimum order = alot.

I will ask my dad where they buy theres from at the mill but I would guess that the fabrics they buy for the machines are thousands of dollars due to the fact that they are made specifically for the machine. I know when they chande them out the old ones look brand new and do not have any holes in them. I will see how much info I can get from dad about there supplier.

I will ask my dad where they buy theres from at the mill but I would guess that the fabrics they buy for the machines are thousands of dollars due to the fact that they are made specifically for the machine. I know when they chande them out the old ones look brand new and do not have any holes in them. I will see how much info I can get from dad about there supplier.
    Better yet, see if they will give you the old stuff, cut it up into 6'x6' squares or whatever and sell it to AT'ers..................

I can get it anytime they change them out. My dad is the one that changes them. I will see what I can do about getting one and taking some pics of them. If guys are interested I would consider getting them and selling them.

If you are able to get it and sell fairly large sections cheaply I would be interested for sure.

I know exactly what the spyderweb material looks like and feels like and can tell if it is the same stuff or not.

Even if it is not exactly the same it may be similar enough to be worth trying.

Arrows don't flop or sag out of the spyderwebs and the faces last a long time. If a guy had a large piece of it he could easily build a box target filled with rags or whatever and have a long lasting indoor (maybe outdoor too) target, hopefully for cheap.

The shop I shoot at has a 4'x4' spyderweb target. The first time my dad walked in and seen it he knew exactley what material it was. I talked to him tonight and he is going to try to get one as soon as he can.

Good Ideas!

I like where this is going. I currently put 2 layers of burlap on my Lifetime target and they are good for about 2000 shots and I replace them for about $3.00. It would be great to get a surface that lasts many times longer.

The shop I shoot at has a 4'x4' spyderweb target. The first time my dad walked in and seen it he knew exactley what material it was. I talked to him tonight and he is going to try to get one as soon as he can.
    Excellent! Can you let us know what it's called and where to get it.

Q2XL Hunter
    What kind of a paper mill is it that your dad works at? I was wondering if I might be able to find one here that does the same thing, and might get the hook-up on some of the fab as well.

Tell him they should buy from Albany International!! I am a QSE in finishing and we supply paper machines fabrics. the woven monofilament bases that we weave are woven at a high tension and heatset to lock in place. does anyone have a small piece of I can see? we have several weave codes and I can get some to try.
    (Hunting) 07 Guardian HD Grey –Beamen ICS hunters, QAD, ProLine Strings.
    (3D) 2013 Bowtech CPXL – GT 22's, Axcel 3ooo with Black Eagle scope, BoDoodle Pro rest, ProLine Strings, Doinker Avancee

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast