Thread: Do you serve your loops with serving thread?

Do you serve your loops with serving thread?

I have been making my strings for a couple years and use #3 BCY serving thread for my loops. This may be right or wrong but this is what I do. To make a good set strings and cable, it takes me several hours. I thought I would try a set of factory strings and ordered a set from vapor trail. I notice on the loops they don't use serving thread but wrap the loops with what looks like bow string material. Is this a common practice for good string makers. Does anyone else do this?

Hoyt 38 Pro, Hoyt xtec, Hoyt Spyder
    Shrewd Sight and Scope, HHA
    Trophy Taker drop rest, Doinker stablizers
    Carter Index release, Tru-ball back tension
    Easton eclipse, carbon express

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt1945 View Post
    I have been making my strings for a couple years and use #3 BCY serving thread for my loops. This may be right or wrong but this is what I do. To make a good set strings and cable, it takes me several hours. I thought I would try a set of factory strings and ordered a set from vapor trail. I notice on the loops they don't use serving thread but wrap the loops with what looks like bow string material. Is this a common practice for good string makers. Does anyone else do this?
    I think it depends on the method you use to lay out and tie off your strings. The method I use allows the use of the tag ends of the string material to be used to serve the end loops. This is the method taught on the BCY video that I use to learn the process a couple years ago. I don't think either method is better than the other. The whole point is to keep the strands bundled together to make installation and adjustment easier.
    Owner of Pathfinder Arrow Wraps
    Athens Archery Factory Shooting Staff

Lots of builders use the tag ends (string material) to serve the loops. It's fast, strong, and helps with transition serving from the close of the loop into the string. Not to mention saves on serving material. It's the only way to go in my book. I've tried all the methods.

Eric

X2 for serving with tag ends. I know there are a lot of guys here who can perfectly center 2 loop ends on a 4 post jig, I'm not one of them. 2 posts and tag ends make things a lot easier for me.

I've used the 4 post system for a long time. Not real difficult but more time consuming by having to turn the post on each end, and making sure your centered on each end so both loops come out oven when the jig gets turned back to a 2 post.

I serve them...I have never used tag ends to tie off...it's just the way I was taught I guess, and never had a problem.

I use tag ends but will serve if requested. I like the way the loops sit on the posts with the tag ends.
    M & M ARCHERY--NUCLEAR-CHICKEN BOW STRINGS GET NUKED!!!!
    HOYT---EASTON---COMPETITION ARCHERY PRODUCTS
    SCOTT--BCY--CBE--AXCEL

I allways use the tag ends to serve the loops...The only way to go!
    Athens Archery Factory Staff
    Tenzone Archery Shooting Staff
    Ripcord Rests Store Staff
    Special Custom Bowstrings and Tuning

If I use 452x to make my string, would you use the 452x to serve the loops. The 452 is small in diameter, would it work.

I don't think its a big deal to get the end loop serving perfectly centered. If its off a little you just cover it up with the closing serving right?
    08 High Country Iron Mace - 70# DW with 30'' DL
    Victory V3's wrapped by BattleDrum steered by FOBs with G5 Montec doing the cutting
    Smooth Stability 12'' Stabilizer
    Tru Ball Pro Diamond Extreme Release
    Treelimb Quivers ---- Sure Loc Leathal Weapon

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    I don't think its a big deal to get the end loop serving perfectly centered. If its off a little you just cover it up with the closing serving right?
    Correct, but you want it within an 1/8 in or so. A little offset is a good thing for the transition.

I only use tag ends, its easier for me to keep even tention on the strands to do it this way

If you are making a one color black string, and you are tying off on just one end. You only have tag ends on one end. Do you just wrap the other end with a piece of bowstring material.

"If you are making a one color black string, and you are tying off on just one end. You only have tag ends on one end. Do you just wrap the other end with a piece of bowstring material?"

I just split the string materials in half like I would for a 2 color string. If you are using 24 strands, make 6wraps and leave your tag ends at 1 end, then repeat the other 6 wraps leaving those tags at the opposite end. Hope that helps..
    Nock Point Archery

Quote Originally Posted by NP Archery View Post
    "If you are making a one color black string, and you are tying off on just one end. You only have tag ends on one end. Do you just wrap the other end with a piece of bowstring material?"

I just split the string materials in half like I would for a 2 color string. If you are using 24 strands, make 6wraps and leave your tag ends at 1 end, then repeat the other 6 wraps leaving those tags at the opposite end. Hope that helps..
    Yep that answers my question