Archery Talk Forum banner

Do you serve your loops with serving thread?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Hoyt1945 
#1 ·
I have been making my strings for a couple years and use #3 BCY serving thread for my loops. This may be right or wrong but this is what I do. To make a good set strings and cable, it takes me several hours. I thought I would try a set of factory strings and ordered a set from vapor trail. I notice on the loops they don't use serving thread but wrap the loops with what looks like bow string material. Is this a common practice for good string makers. Does anyone else do this?

#2 ·
I think it depends on the method you use to lay out and tie off your strings. The method I use allows the use of the tag ends of the string material to be used to serve the end loops. This is the method taught on the BCY video that I use to learn the process a couple years ago. I don't think either method is better than the other. The whole point is to keep the strands bundled together to make installation and adjustment easier.

#3 ·
Lots of builders use the tag ends (string material) to serve the loops. It's fast, strong, and helps with transition serving from the close of the loop into the string. Not to mention saves on serving material. It's the only way to go in my book. I've tried all the methods. :darkbeer:

Eric

#9 ·
If I use 452x to make my string, would you use the 452x to serve the loops. The 452 is small in diameter, would it work.

#10 ·
I don't think its a big deal to get the end loop serving perfectly centered. If its off a little you just cover it up with the closing serving right?

#13 ·
If you are making a one color black string, and you are tying off on just one end. You only have tag ends on one end. Do you just wrap the other end with a piece of bowstring material.

#14 ·
"If you are making a one color black string, and you are tying off on just one end. You only have tag ends on one end. Do you just wrap the other end with a piece of bowstring material?"

I just split the string materials in half like I would for a 2 color string. If you are using 24 strands, make 6wraps and leave your tag ends at 1 end, then repeat the other 6 wraps leaving those tags at the opposite end. Hope that helps..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.