Thread: 80% let off

80% let off

Is it a bad idea to try shooting a 80% let off bow with fingers? Been shooting a recurve for 20 years and a new compound was offered to me with 80% let off. Thought it might not be to bad if it was shot off the wall. What do you think?

In my experience the higher letoffs aren't as bad if you have a more aggressive cam. Just my 2 cents. Finger shooters as a rule prefer nothing over 65%. Although my hoyt at 75% and 48pounds is a spot machine for me with the cam.5. It never hurts to try. You will find it much different than trad. Good luck Dan.
    Have bow will shoot

I figure it won't matter as much with a 70 lb bow, if you were shooting 50 lb at 80% let off it might be tough.

I shoot a Septer4 with 80% letoff. It is a tad less forgiving, but can hold a lot lo nger till the shot comes along.

I tried 80% on my C3. I couldn't feel the release. I traded out for a 65%. I liked the feel of the resistance of a 65% for stability too.
    LH Conquest III & Clearwater MX-40
    GT XT Hunters & ACCs
    E W Bateman & Cartel Tab
    Brew & Vino master
    Stingers & Thunderheads

If you are using back tension against the wall, I think you could be very affective with the 80%. I think my bow is 65% but I shoot 50# a rather low poundage so I'm holding around 18#. I have no problems with my release.

Search 80% letoff on this forum. You'll find tons of info.
    What dont kill ya, makes ya stronger!
    Finger shooter/deer slayer

I shoot a Dren LD, 37in at 58lbs, 80% letoff, 28in draw. I hold solid against the wall which gives alot of finger tension and on release my hand just slides back against my face. But, I have been shooting fingers for about 57 years. Bob
    bowhunter since 1959
    Hoyt Dorado
    Custom longbow by Wood Archery
    Best Friend longbow
    Shop shooter - Jim's Sport Shop-Waverly,Ia 319-352-4701 Hoyt and Bear Archery