Thread: What do the deer eat when there is 10-12 inches of snow on the ground?

What do the deer eat when there is 10-12 inches of snow on the ground?

I'm just curious how, if possible, do the deer get enough nutrition when there is so much snow on the ground. The 10 day forecast doesn't show temps rising past freezing so I'm guessing the snow is going to be around for a while.

I don't want all my deer to die!!!! I've got a few nice ones that I'm hoping make it to next year. (I worry about the stupidest things)

My hunting ground is made up of cut corn, beans and hay fields (with a bunch of bales).

i think they dig. we got no snow where im at so are deer are good.
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak
    paradigm archery field staff

Browse, dig in the snow at the cut crop fields. Dig for acorns. Standing crops if available.

marty

That is not that much snow on the ground really. They can dig thru that to the corn, beans, hay or what ever else they want. They will also eat woody browse in the winter to survive.

You should have to worry until you get a few feet of snow on the ground for an extended period.

lol,....i had to read it twice, i thought you wrote 10 feet, 10" is nothing...deadwood south dakota just got 26" on x-mas to add to thier 20" they already had in the hills......

browse on twigs, dig grasses....not much here in the hills for deer crops..lol
    Compounds.....a crossbow without a stock..... ya its still archery...
    Trad bows.....a compound without wheels.....ya its still archery...
    Crossbows.....a compound with a stock....ya its still archery......
    Archery, its why we are all on archerytalk,...... so stick togather and help preserve all our interest, not just your own!

I had 9 cleaning out my bird feeders at 3:30 today. They have been coming everyday & cleaning what the birds haven't gotten plus my squirrell corn. I've seen Deer at other places doing the same.
    We have over 14" on the ground & got another 3-4 today. It's getting tough for them but then, several places have standing corn that didn't get picked. I worry about them also. I haven't shot any deer this year. It is legal for me to Bowhunt where I live & I have 2 antlerless tags but just don't have it in me to shoot one. I won't starve, plenty of Beef in the freezer & I've killed a ton of Deer over the years with my Bow.
    This guy has been plenty close to shoot too. He's just lucky I'm real picky in my old age....

if its legal to bait in your area, they will probably come to your corn pile first, seeing as they know its there. We got dumped on by around 20" last week, and within 3 days my feeder was EMPTY...But, with all the rain we had today its mostly gone. I had around 6" in my backyard still yesterday before the rain, and now theres next to nothing in snow anymore since it rained all day...In your case, I'd look into hunting by the whats left of the standing corn.
    El Boone:
    Personally, Id quickly make a surprised face, yell "look out behind you, a hunter", and while he was looking, switch arrows and shoot him.

They are eating standing beans and corn on my farm! Gotta leave some standing stuff to support the heard through winter months.
    "You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week than a gun hunter will learn in his entire life"
    Fred Bear

snow

Will they eat the bales of hay?

What ever they can I would assume.
    Learn from the mistakes of others, as you will not live long enough to make them all on your own.
    "09" Mathews Reezen 6.5 @ 29" 70#
    CX Mayhem's w/ 100gr. Montec CS @ 434gr

Quote Originally Posted by kstatemallards View Post
    Yes.

Lol. I wouldn't worry too much yet about your deer dying. The ground is going to be covered by more snow than 10" here until April. Here they chew up any small trees. White Pine buds and cedar bows are a couple of their favorites. Winter does kill a lot of deer in Minnesota each winter, that's just how nature operates.
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

Quote Originally Posted by Bakdahelup View Post
    snow
    You beat me to the punch!
    Mathews Z-Max 30" @60lb.
    Easton FMJ 340
    Winn Free Flight
    Trophy Ridge Revolution
    Trophy Ridge 4 pin

Quote Originally Posted by kstatemallards View Post
    They love baled alfalfa.
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

but just don't have it in me to shoot one
    I hear ya man....I passed on many deer this season on the real cold days...they looked soooo cold all hunched up.....to be honest I was rather dissapointed in myself....the freezer was in need re-filling.....

Jerm