Thread: letting a deer hang............before butchering it??

letting a deer hang............before butchering it??

For those that let a deer hang after you kill it. Do you take the hide/skin off or leave it on? My son killed one yesterday and I am looking to let it hang about a week before I clean it. Also my temps are suppose to get down to the low to mid 20's this week at night, is this too cold?

Its not what I do.........Its who I am..

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

Let the deer hang with skin on. Keep the meat temperature below 39 degrees, and you should be safe.

I leave the skin on......The big Doe I killed back on the 13th I let hang for a week.......I killed another yesterday afternoon.....I'll butcher her next weekend when I have time.....as long as it is cold....letting them hang is OK....I leave the hide on so the meat dosnt dry out....Ive killed over 100 deer and I have not had any problems, as long as it is cold out....under 38 degrees or colder.......It is just a little harder to pull the hide off when the time comes to skin....no problem, just take your time and cut the fat off after your done skinning....it is going down to single digits tonight and the next few....it wont hurt the meat......I let mine hang in the garage where there is no heat.........
    Liberalism is a mental disorder

leave the hide on,ive had a doe hanging now since christmas doe,going to take her into the basement tonight to un freeze her
    Come check us out on the largest Wisconsin,Michigan based hunting pages.....[https://www.facebook.com/buckchasers?ref=hl
    https://www.facebook.com/Wi.bowhunters

Skin on, and let her cure. a week aint so bad. TENDER !!!!

Crazy Wolf.

tried both

i have tried both. I think it is easier to skin deer when they are warm. But now i let them hang for a few days and the quarter it out and keep in the garage fridge for 2 days and turns out great for me.

ben
    Psalms 23:6

I've usually skinned them before hanging just to make life a little easier when it comes time to cut them up. there will be a little bit of dry meat to trim off the outside, but it will balance itself out with what you probably would lose skinning a stiff deer and not being able to bend the joints and such.
    Either way though like others have said, with cold weather a week or so will tender anything up quite a bit

X3 on skinning it right away, makes it soooo much easier... I've always been tought to get it cooled off as quickly as you can, with the winter the way it's been "COLD" you'll be okay, but I've always gutted and skinned out quick!!!
    2010 Black Ops Sentinel FLX (Baldy's Strings and tune)
    2014 Black Ops Bowtech RPM 360

Skin Off!!!! cools meat down quicker and doesnt tant the meant at all.
    Elite Answer
    Dead Center Archery Bowhunting Staff Triple Toe Game Calls Pro Staff

That is too cold if your intensions are to age the meat. Freezing kills the natural bacteria in the meat that would have broken down the muscle structure. But...you won't have issues with the meat spoiling in those temps.
    watch our hunting and bowfishing webcast at AimNLowTV.com

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechben View Post
    i have tried both. I think it is easier to skin deer when they are warm. But now i let them hang for a few days and the quarter it out and keep in the garage fridge for 2 days and turns out great for me.

ben
    Same here...the hide comes off so much easier in the begining instead of waiting we take the hide off and then cover with game bags and let them sit for 3-6 days.

d

Skin on is ok. Just remember once its frozen much tougher job to skin.
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.