Thread: Knoxville TN Archery Shops

Knoxville TN Archery Shops

I am looking for a good archery shop around the Knoxville area. Do any of you know of a good place?

I figured I would give Gander Mountain and some of the other sport stores a shot, but they were about as bad as I figured they would be.

anyone???

I went by Smokey Mountain Pro Archery shop today in Seymour TN it seems like a very good shop. The guys there were down to earth and took the time to help a newb like me. They had a good selection of bows and you could shoot any of them you wanted.

They didnt try to push one brand over the other, just let you try them out and figure out which ones you liked the best.

smokeymountainproarchery.com

Not really a shop.

You could look up Connie Calloway. Her and her husband use to do taxidermy and shot professionally at one point. They're super nice and would definitely help you out or point you in the right direction. They live off of Callahan between Halls and the interstate.

Sportsman's Choice in Fountain City is a pretty good shop. H.A. Larue owns it. He's an interesting guy who spends a lot of time in the woods. Prices are not cheap but that's just the way it is when you deal with an actual pro shop. I have had some good and some bad experiences there. I do think H.A. tries to do right by his customers. He carries Bowtech and Hoyt if memory serves...maybe others too except Matthews.

Eagles Wings was the area Matthews dealer and since they closed I don't know if some other shop has picked Matthews up....maybe H.A. did. Anyway, the eagles wings owner, John something-or-other, still does work from his home I am told. So, if you have a Matthews issue, you might try to look him up. I could probably find that info for you if you need it.

And then there's always that uber knowledgable staff out at Gander

hope this helps...good luck.

knox area

hi ..not too many shops around here ,,being in this area for a while i found not much help unless you buy from them their product..not really any decent shops here ,overpriced and under service ...the above listed i would stay away from for sure ,,you will find in the big box stores inexperienced people with limited knowledge ...customer service is limited also ..try looking out of town ..it is a little frustrating here with shops ..

Another kudos for Smokey Mountain Pro Archery. Went by there last weekend and shot a few Hoyts and a couple Mathews. The guys are great and even set the bows up to match my draw length. If anyone in the Knoxville/Gatlinburg area I would highly recommend them. They are at 108 Clear View Driver, Seymour TN.

Quote Originally Posted by knox_nate View Post
    Another kudos for Smokey Mountain Pro Archery. Went by there last weekend and shot a few Hoyts and a couple Mathews. The guys are great and even set the bows up to match my draw length. If anyone in the Knoxville/Gatlinburg area I would highly recommend them. They are at 108 Clear View Driver, Seymour TN.
    Do they have Hoyt recurves, or is it all hunting compounds?

It is mostly hunting bows, but they have a little of everything and said they can order anything.

When I was in there today they had a prety good selection of used bows also.

Cant say enough about how helpful the staff there is. They do not try to pressure you into a certain brand of bows. They just let you shoot them all and then pick the best one for you.

Did you notice if they sold used compounds, or recurves? I'm looking for either a longbow or recurve, and was just wondering. I wish I had the time to get over there to see what they had.

I do think there was a recurve and a long bow there, but I am not for sure. Just give them a call 865.577.4868

Mike and Jim have both been there every time I have been there, and they both seem to be good people. The site is smokey mountain pro archery

Quote Originally Posted by Retch View Post
    Sportsman's Choice in Fountain City is a pretty good shop. H.A. Larue owns it. He's an interesting guy who spends a lot of time in the woods. Prices are not cheap but that's just the way it is when you deal with an actual pro shop. I have had some good and some bad experiences there. I do think H.A. tries to do right by his customers. He carries Bowtech and Hoyt if memory serves...maybe others too except Matthews.

Eagles Wings was the area Matthews dealer and since they closed I don't know if some other shop has picked Matthews up....maybe H.A. did. Anyway, the eagles wings owner, John something-or-other, still does work from his home I am told. So, if you have a Matthews issue, you might try to look him up. I could probably find that info for you if you need it.

And then there's always that uber knowledgable staff out at Gander

hope this helps...good luck.
    I am a U.S. Army Veteran. I went in to get new strings put on my bow on a Monday. H.A. said it would be done by the end of the week due to the holidays, which I can understand. I left my bow with him and never got a call back come Friday. I called the following Monday to see if the bow was ready, and he said "the strings haven't come in yet". If he had told me that he had to order the strings in, I would've kept my bow and asked him to call me when the strings came in. He never gave me a price estimate for how much it would cost to have it done either. That Wednesday I decided to just pick up the bow and take it somewhere else. I got there 10 minutes til 6 and they had already closed up shop early. I was pretty irritated at that point, so I called them and left a message for them not to worry about doing anything with my bow, and that I'd be there the next day to pick it up. After work, I went to pick it up. H.A. was talking to a customer, so I went to the desk and told one of his employees that I was there to pick up my bow. He brought the bow out with the ticket and strings still in the bag. He gave me the bow and I told him I was taking the bow somewhere else and that I didn't want the strings. H.A. walked up to the counter and said I had to pay for the strings. Why would I pay for the strings if I didn't want them. I told him I didn't want the strings and was going to take my bow somewhere else. He said I couldn't leave with MY bow without paying for the strings that I didn't want and that were not even put on my bow, because he had to "special order" them. He then DEMANDED that I give him MY bow back to him. I told him no, and that I was going to make a call to ask my Father-in-law if I should just have them do it. He came around the counter as I was making the call and SNATCHED the bow out of my hand and said, "I SAID GIVE ME THE DAM* BOW!" Who talks to their customers and disrespects them that way? H.A. legally has no ground to stand on with his "claim" in MY bow, considering no services were rendered/performed on my bow. He has NO "labor time" put in my bow, so he cannot legally withhold my bow. That's like going to a mechanic to have it serviced and you come back to pick the car up and the mechanic says he had to special order something and you have to pay for it or you won't get your car back. H.A. is DISRESPECTFUL, UNPROFESSIONAL, and a THIEF! I would not recommend him OR his shop to ANYBODY! Save yourself from some heartache and take your bow somewhere else.

When you order custom colors you have to pay for them...

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman36 View Post
    I am a U.S. Army Veteran. I went in to get new strings put on my bow on a Monday. H.A. said it would be done by the end of the week due to the holidays, which I can understand. I left my bow with him and never got a call back come Friday. I called the following Monday to see if the bow was ready, and he said "the strings haven't come in yet". If he had told me that he had to order the strings in, I would've kept my bow and asked him to call me when the strings came in. He never gave me a price estimate for how much it would cost to have it done either. That Wednesday I decided to just pick up the bow and take it somewhere else. I got there 10 minutes til 6 and they had already closed up shop early. I was pretty irritated at that point, so I called them and left a message for them not to worry about doing anything with my bow, and that I'd be there the next day to pick it up. After work, I went to pick it up. H.A. was talking to a customer, so I went to the desk and told one of his employees that I was there to pick up my bow. He brought the bow out with the ticket and strings still in the bag. He gave me the bow and I told him I was taking the bow somewhere else and that I didn't want the strings. H.A. walked up to the counter and said I had to pay for the strings. Why would I pay for the strings if I didn't want them. I told him I didn't want the strings and was going to take my bow somewhere else. He said I couldn't leave with MY bow without paying for the strings that I didn't want and that were not even put on my bow, because he had to "special order" them. He then DEMANDED that I give him MY bow back to him. I told him no, and that I was going to make a call to ask my Father-in-law if I should just have them do it. He came around the counter as I was making the call and SNATCHED the bow out of my hand and said, "I SAID GIVE ME THE DAM* BOW!" Who talks to their customers and disrespects them that way? H.A. legally has no ground to stand on with his "claim" in MY bow, considering no services were rendered/performed on my bow. He has NO "labor time" put in my bow, so he cannot legally withhold my bow. That's like going to a mechanic to have it serviced and you come back to pick the car up and the mechanic says he had to special order something and you have to pay for it or you won't get your car back. H.A. is DISRESPECTFUL, UNPROFESSIONAL, and a THIEF! I would not recommend him OR his shop to ANYBODY! Save yourself from some heartache and take your bow somewhere else.
    I was there when this happened and your story has lots of holes in it . Number one , nobody gave you the bow . The bow was set on the counter and you took it off the counter before talking to H.A. About it . Number 2 , you had your copy of the work order when you came to pick it up . Which means you knew the strings had to be ordered . Number 3 , the amount of time it took the get the strings were out of his control . Due to the severe weather the shipping was delayed from barn burner .

Also , you had an attitude with him and implied you weren't going to pay for the strings you had CUSTOM ordered . When you bring a 10 year old or older bow into a shop expect to have to wait on parts etc.....

If you would like to speak about this further , feel free to contact me via PM .

H.A. Is a great guy . He doesn't put up with people who try to low ball him , people that come in with an attitude , or people that don't show respect . Sure he might lose some business because he doesn't put up with that crap . But hey the shops that deal with that crap don't really care about their customers and are only looking for a sale .

Edgemoor Outdoors in Claxton was very helpful to me and extremely nice. Very informed and knowledgeable. They are not far off Clinton Highway. Not sure what all you are looking for. They did have what I thought was a small selection, but were willing to try to order items they didn't carry. They were also expanding some areas last time I was there. They also do repairs. Locally owned.