a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: Warmbag and Heater Body Suit Review

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SEIA
    Posts
    3,702

    Warmbag and Heater Body Suit Review

    Alright guys, so today while being bored on my break from school and my friend with the day off of work, we decided to throw down on a serious test of the Warmbag vs the Heater Body Suit..

    We did not get to test the warmth of either of them, since I wasnt going to sit out there all day and see which one was warmer in the long run. I have heard from people who have tried both that they are both equally warm.

    I will lay this review out in terms of Pros and Cons of each, but I have to mention a few things first... I had used the WB for a couple days last week, so I had a little more practice getting it on and moving around in, but I practiced the HBS a few times before the video so it was not quite the very first time with it...Second, the HBS was too big for me, it was definitely not my size.

    Pros of Warmbag:
    -Easy to put on in stand
    -Extremely light and packable
    -ASAT camo is awesome for late season
    -Bag stays on for the shot, so you wont get cold waiting
    -Waterproof and windproof

    Pros of HBS
    -Zippers are MUCH quieter than (first generation) Warmbag..I was VERY impressed with how quiet the zippers were on this...
    -Although others have said there is not a difference, I think that the HBS would be warmer
    -There is more room to move in the HBS
    -Legs make it a little easier to move around in the stand

    Cons of Warmbag
    -(Old) zippers are loud
    -Seams seem a little tight if you have broad shoulders, and its not as easy to get out of the arm holes as I would've liked to see..Maybe the arm holes should be longer, so you can get your elbows out first

    Cons of HBS
    -Bulky, and noticeably heavier than WB, which makes packing in worse, and it doesnt come with a bag to pack it in
    -I dont remember for sure, but it might not be waterproof from the factory??
    -You get out of it, so if you have to wait awhile for a shot, you could get cold
    -It seems a little tougher to get into while in the stand

    I have had people ask me about which I thought involved more movement to get a shot off, and I really dont know how to answer it, so we took video today so you can judge for yourself... The video shows getting into each of them, and a few shots with each. After watching the videos, I honestly dont know which one requires more movement, and I dont know which one to go with next year, so if you dont mind, please comment on what you think about each after reading this review and watching the video.

    Before anyone flags me for not wearing a harness, we set up one section of out stand, and I was 4 feet off the ground...Both these products say to wear a harness with their products, and I would highly suggest it in real word conditions, but for testing purposes, we did not...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn7v0kr2ToM

    Thanks for checking out the review, and if anyone else is like me and thinking about getting one of these products, I really hope this review helps...

    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks...


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SEIA
    Posts
    3,702
    ttt for the morning crew..
    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Somewhere between hell and recovery.....
    Posts
    9,583
    I have both and have the same feelings......
    I'm not an inspiration; It's just the situation I'm in and I'm doing my best......

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Northeast U.S.
    Posts
    14,342
    Nice review, I agree it looks like a tough call. I've had the HBS for 4 years, and I agree with everything you posted above. I've killed some good bucks with it too.

  5. #5
    Thanks for taking the time to make that video! Couple questions.

    1. In both cases you took the shot standing, which bag would be better for a seated shot? Getting your arms out without standing?

    2. On the bag with separate legs, (can't remember which one) could you climb up the tree with the lower half of the bag on and just lip on the upper half once you got all the way up?

    3. On the bag without separate legs, could you turn around on a small platform stand Like the Lone Wolf?

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SEIA
    Posts
    3,702
    Quote Originally Posted by white.greg View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to make that video! Couple questions.

    1. In both cases you took the shot standing, which bag would be better for a seated shot? Getting your arms out without standing?

    2. On the bag with separate legs, (can't remember which one) could you climb up the tree with the lower half of the bag on and just lip on the upper half once you got all the way up?

    3. On the bag without separate legs, could you turn around on a small platform stand Like the Lone Wolf?

    Thanks
    1. The HBS would probably be easier to take a seated shot with, although Im not sure...The reason Im leaning more towards the HBS here is because there wouldnt be anything in your way since you are out of the bag, it really has nothing to do with getting your arms out while sitting down, since that is pretty easy with the WB as well...

    2. As fas as climbing with the HBS on, I thought about that too, and I think it would work, but I dont think they recommend it...

    3.You can turn pretty easily, you just have to take small steps..it takes a little practice to get used to it though.. If you watch the second shot, I tried to demonstrate turning around by actually moving my feet...

    Im no expert of these things, I was just curious what to go with next year, happen to have two friends who have them, so I borrowed them to try out, and I figured I'd let others know what I think in case they are i contemplating one of them as well...
    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Northeast U.S.
    Posts
    14,342
    Quote Originally Posted by white.greg View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to make that video! Couple questions.


    2. On the bag with separate legs, (can't remember which one) could you climb up the tree with the lower half of the bag on and just lip on the upper half once you got all the way up?


    Thanks
    That would be the HBS. With my climber you couldn't climb with it, mainly because the extra bulk around your feet would prevent them from fitting under the toe bar. If you had some type of adjustable toe bar then maybe you could do it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,353
    Can't the WB be put on and the bottom be tied up some how? How would climbing be in this configuration?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SEIA
    Posts
    3,702
    Quote Originally Posted by My2Sons View Post
    Can't the WB be put on and the bottom be tied up some how? How would climbing be in this configuration?
    I would think that would work just fine...You would want somewhere that you can sit down while putting it on though, and it is actually very easy to put on in the stand...you dont need much space at all, just a seat...
    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Great Lakes State
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfedkiller View Post
    I would think that would work just fine...You would want somewhere that you can sit down while putting it on though, and it is actually very easy to put on in the stand...you dont need much space at all, just a seat...
    Good review thank for taking the time. I agree with everything had a couple of others.

    From above a Warmbag PRO
    Thats a big advantage I found with the WB vs HBS I put it on a the base of the tree roll it up in the back clip it around my waist get in the climber and climb up. Sit cool off then put the rest of it in the stand. Putting on the HBS in the tree was a PITA for me and couldnt use it climbing up.
    Warmbag PRO
    COST
    HBS PRO
    Fabric seems quieter, anything with wind stop or water proof material always seems more noisy to me.
    Elite Answer
    Tolke Whip
    DAS Longbow
    Bear Recurve
    Scorypd Ventilator

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    688
    Enjoyed the video, thanks

    I would put a broadhead in the chest of that "singer" if I could, birds, wind, a couple cats screwing or your narrative about the suits would of been much better.

    Thank God for a mute buton

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
    Enjoyed the video, thanks

    I would put a broadhead in the chest of that "singer" if I could, birds, wind, a couple cats screwing or your narrative about the suits would of been much better.

    Thank God for a mute buton
    LOL. Bob, your listening to it wrong. You gotta turn it up!

    The entire process of using these cold weather garments is a learning curve.

    The good news is once you have taken the time to learn to use them your hunting season will be extended and your chances of success go up.

    Pick the one you like and go git them deers! Happy new years!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    AMES,IOWA
    Posts
    5,239
    Good tunes; gotta love Tool. The warmbag looks awefully lightweight and thin to be very warm.
    Blackout 2011 & 2012 Hoyt Carbon Elements, "Crackerized"PSE AXE 6, KIFARU Longhunter Guide pack, Magnus Rack Pack, Magnus Bullheads, Tight Spot Quiver, Bow Stix, Double Bull Blinds, Lone Wolf Stands, ZEN RAY 8X43 ED2 Optics

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by HCH View Post
    Good tunes; gotta love Tool. The warmbag looks awefully lightweight and thin to be very warm.
    Ah, there's the rub.

    Bulk does not equal warmth.

    Happy new year!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellbrook, Ohio
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfedkiller View Post
    Alright guys, so today while being bored on my break from school and my friend with the day off of work, we decided to throw down on a serious test of the Warmbag vs the Heater Body Suit..

    We did not get to test the warmth of either of them, since I wasnt going to sit out there all day and see which one was warmer in the long run. I have heard from people who have tried both that they are both equally warm.

    I will lay this review out in terms of Pros and Cons of each, but I have to mention a few things first... I had used the WB for a couple days last week, so I had a little more practice getting it on and moving around in, but I practiced the HBS a few times before the video so it was not quite the very first time with it...Second, the HBS was too big for me, it was definitely not my size.

    Pros of Warmbag:
    -Easy to put on in stand
    -Extremely light and packable
    -ASAT camo is awesome for late season
    -Bag stays on for the shot, so you wont get cold waiting
    -Waterproof and windproof

    Pros of HBS
    -Zippers are MUCH quieter than (first generation) Warmbag..I was VERY impressed with how quiet the zippers were on this...
    -Although others have said there is not a difference, I think that the HBS would be warmer
    -There is more room to move in the HBS
    -Legs make it a little easier to move around in the stand

    Cons of Warmbag
    -(Old) zippers are loud
    -Seams seem a little tight if you have broad shoulders, and its not as easy to get out of the arm holes as I would've liked to see..Maybe the arm holes should be longer, so you can get your elbows out first

    Cons of HBS
    -Bulky, and noticeably heavier than WB, which makes packing in worse, and it doesnt come with a bag to pack it in
    -I dont remember for sure, but it might not be waterproof from the factory??
    -You get out of it, so if you have to wait awhile for a shot, you could get cold
    -It seems a little tougher to get into while in the stand

    I have had people ask me about which I thought involved more movement to get a shot off, and I really dont know how to answer it, so we took video today so you can judge for yourself... The video shows getting into each of them, and a few shots with each. After watching the videos, I honestly dont know which one requires more movement, and I dont know which one to go with next year, so if you dont mind, please comment on what you think about each after reading this review and watching the video.

    Before anyone flags me for not wearing a harness, we set up one section of out stand, and I was 4 feet off the ground...Both these products say to wear a harness with their products, and I would highly suggest it in real word conditions, but for testing purposes, we did not...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn7v0kr2ToM

    Thanks for checking out the review, and if anyone else is like me and thinking about getting one of these products, I really hope this review helps...
    You forgot to mention , warmbag is made in China

    HBS is made in the good old USA

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Delco, PA
    Posts
    10,510

    HBS for

    me - and now my Dad and uncle as they both gave mine a try and fell in love. No way on the Warmbag way too noisey. As for the weight - you're only carrying it in and out, the rest of the time you're in it. I'd rather be warm and quiet, than warm and noisy.

    Joe

    Oh yeah - it's alwyas nice to support manufacturers who keep work in our country - especially they way things are these days!!!!
    RingerCams - Keeping Your Eyes on the Prize!!!
    www the 12-ring . com
    Custom Predator GT500, Stage One Threads, Custom Posten, Custom Sword Twilight Hunter, Maxima Hunters
    383 grains @ 300fps

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    AMES,IOWA
    Posts
    5,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinois59 View Post


    Bulk does not equal warmth.

    Happy new year!
    I agree, but the thicker the insulation in a house wall, the better the R value. Happy New Year to you too.
    Blackout 2011 & 2012 Hoyt Carbon Elements, "Crackerized"PSE AXE 6, KIFARU Longhunter Guide pack, Magnus Rack Pack, Magnus Bullheads, Tight Spot Quiver, Bow Stix, Double Bull Blinds, Lone Wolf Stands, ZEN RAY 8X43 ED2 Optics

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,612
    Good thread! I just got to use my HBS for the first time this week (hasn't been cold enough even the 2 weeks I was in WV). I had not practiced putting it on while in a stand prior to yesterday (no trees in my yard for my stand), just in my living room. It is a little difficult getting into it on my small LW stand but should become easier with more practice. It is very warm and I'll need to not wear so many layers next time (I walked in, set up my stand and sat in it for awhile before putting the HBS on). The zippers are kinda noisy if pulled quickly but very quiet if done slowly. I'm going to put some string wax on the zipper to see if that will help even more. Packing it in is no big deal. I just use a motorcycle cargo net to hold my backpack on my stand and bungee the HBS above it. Moving my feet around and turning in the stand just takes a little more attention. I used Arctic Shield boot covers instead of the supplied covers. Although the AS covers are noisy by themselves, I couldn't hear them inside the suit.

    One thing I saw in your video is the straps on the HBS should be crossed across your chest (as shown on the HBS website) not slipped over each shoulder like backpack straps. Don't know if it makes much difference but I crossed them.

    Thanks for the review.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..

  19. #19
    I am sure the HBS is a great product. For me I am going to buy the
    WARM BAG from Illinois59 because I think it is a little better and because he is a fellow hunter. He tests his product out himself while hunting and he even posts on AT from his treestand. I wish it was made in the USA, but the $100 I save will come in handy for umm say some nice smooth bourbon. It does not have the little booties for your feet Like the HBS but the WARMBAG is waterproof and windoproof. To me I can buy the booties if I decide I need them but I cannot make the HBS windproof or waterproof. Not in any way shape or form a bash at all! Two good products just that there are a few trade off's either way. In the end for me the warmbag is the way to go.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Grove, OK
    Posts
    576

    Warm Bag

    Used the WB this evening. Temp around 22 degrees, wind chill in the mid teens. I only had on under armour and a pair of sweat pants on bottom. 2 cheapie under armour knockoffs and a fleece zip up on top. I was very comfortable up top. I had a pair of noninsulated boots on, with 2 pairs of socks. My toes got a little chilly, but not cold.

    Im very happy with the WB!!! Its not that hard to put on in the stand. When I leave I just pull my feet out and strap the buckle around my waist, wear it to the truck.

    The only thing I dont like is the arm zippers, they are a major PITA. Im going to put magnets in the arm zippers at some point

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Northeast U.S.
    Posts
    14,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatop View Post
    I am sure the HBS is a great product. For me I am going to buy the WARM BAG from Illinois59 because I think it is a little better and because he is a fellow hunter. He tests his product out himself while hunting trade off's either way. In the end for me the warmbag is the way to go.
    FYI the guy who designed the HBS is a VERY serious bowhunter, and the suit was designed for bowhunting. That is why all the materials used to make it are so quiet and the zipper is silent. That was the one negative thing about the WB that I noticed when I handled one was the noise of the material, but I believe that was mainly the wind or water proof lining? Not sure. I am also not sure about moving around in the stand in the WB, I guess you would have to just shuffle your feet around inside the WB to change position. Someone mentioned walking to their stand in the WB? The HBS must be quite a bit warmer, because even if it was 10 degrees I think you would burn up walking even a short distance in that thing. Its very warm. The HBS has been out for quite a long time now so it is pretty well refined. I would imagine that it will take a few years of tweaking to get the WB perfected. I do think the design has a lot of potential and I love the ASAT pattern so I wil be keeping my eye on them.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Eastern shore of Maryland
    Posts
    1,151

    Thumbs up

    Thanks for taking the time to post a great thread. Lots of great information from everybody and thanks to all that great info I think I need to get both of em now

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    2,236
    I just got the Warmbag a week or so ago, and haven't had much of a chance to mess with it, other than in my yard. It is less bulky than the HBS, and I like the fact it comes with a stuff sack. It also comes with a hood, and although I am not personally a big hood fan, I'm sure there are people who will really like the hood. It snaps on and off, so you don't have to have it on if you don't want it. The HBS comes with some extra "booties", which I thought were kinda a pain to use. If I owned the HBS (I've borrowed a friends), I would use boot blankets (which I already have) in place of the booties.

    Our season ends in a couple of days here, and I'm hoping to get out and try the warmbag today and tomorrow. Should be a pretty good test to see how warm it's going to keep me.....it's -17 F here right now, with highs of - 10 F today, and colder tomorrow. And I'll definetely be able to see if it is noisy in the cold.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    2,212
    I might be alittle biase here since I own a HBS but, after watching the video it seems like there is more movement involved when trying to get your arms out of the bag. As for the question about sitting down and getting your arms out, I haven't had a problem with the HBS taking sitting shots. Actually the last two deer I shot with the suit on I was sitting down. Nice comparison video though
    Mathews Switchback
    Easton Superlite xx75's
    Muzzy's 125
    Trophy Ridge Sights
    Mathews Micro rest

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Northeast U.S.
    Posts
    14,342
    Quote Originally Posted by buckhunter2054 View Post
    Actually the last two deer I shot with the suit on I was sitting down.
    I shoot them while sitting as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Heater Body Suit vs. Warmbag
    By Allegiance05 in forum General Archery Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 23rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
  2. Warmbag, Heater Body Suit and a climber....
    By Muddy41 in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: December 5th, 2009, 11:51 PM
  3. WTB - Heater Body Suit or Warmbag
    By edg1967 in forum Misc. Items Only Want to buy or trade? WTB or WTT. Please use new item specific forums
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 20th, 2009, 11:42 PM
  4. MN Buck (and Heater Body Suit Review)
    By John Doe in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: November 25th, 2007, 10:56 AM
  5. My new Heater Body Suit review
    By WiseGuy in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: December 12th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •