Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you get to your stand

Quote Originally Posted by outdooraholic View Post
    i guess i should have mentioned - im in huntable ground as soon as i step out of the car.

I am as soon as I step out my back door, matter of fact I shot a doe last year off my back porch. I still aint gonna take a hour per 100 yards to get to a stand on the back side of 80 acres.
    2010 Bear Assault, doinker multirod (custom 11 inch) HHA ds 5519
    SIXX STRINGS ADDING X's TO EVERYTHING WE DO!! www.sixxstrings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by fletched View Post
    It may be brown, but it ain't fudge they are trying to feed to us AT members.

I have one stand where I have to cross a grassy waterway and its not uncommon to have deer near a fenceline 150 yards away. There is no way to get to my stand except crossing that waterway, the grass is about knee high. Deer recognize people walking but may not recognize a four legged animal as a threat so I try to look like I have 4 legs. I bend at the waist and slowly swing my arms so they look like front legs as I simply walk slowly across. You can even stop and look at the deer.

The deer look up perk their ears then go back to whatever they were doing.
    The pack on the back helps break up the outline and I hold the bow on my head. Its got to look goofy but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by bass.deer View Post
    I bend at the waist and slowly swing my arms so they look like front legs as I simply walk slowly across. You can even stop and look at the deer.

The deer look up perk their ears then go back to whatever they were doing.
    The pack on the back helps break up the outline and I hold the bow on my head. Its got to look goofy but it works.
    Not surprised to see 'Iowa' as your location.

Quote Originally Posted by nstrut View Post
    LOL! Don't laugh, I've actually thought about that to get across a creek. It's such a PITA to pack in waders and have to change into them to get across the creek. A zip line thing would be perfect! I just envision myself falling in the water though, so it never goes any farther than a thought.
    Ever heard of this new thing called a foot bridge? Surely if you can build something permanent like a zip line you can build a bridge.
    2010 Bear Assault, doinker multirod (custom 11 inch) HHA ds 5519
    SIXX STRINGS ADDING X's TO EVERYTHING WE DO!! www.sixxstrings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by fletched View Post
    It may be brown, but it ain't fudge they are trying to feed to us AT members.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakdahelup View Post
    Classy.

Run because their afraid of the dark.......idk.

i drive my rhino to about a 100 yards from the stand that i'm hunting then walk in the rest of the way. if the ground is soft and quiet i walk at a normal pace and if it's crunchy with leaves or frozen snow then i take my time.
    God Bless America ....again please

Quote Originally Posted by modeclan View Post
    That's what I do most of the season, but every time I stop it's to pick the spiderwebs off my face. LOL!

Haha i laughed so hard!

Slow walk.
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

Beam me up Scotty.

Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    Ever heard of this new thing called a foot bridge? Surely if you can build something permanent like a zip line you can build a bridge.
    The creek is state property. Can't obstruct the waterway in order to let canoes and such through. Yes, I've thought about everything. That's why I'll continue taking the extra time to pack in the waders. If I could keep warm enough in the stand, I'd wear my waders in the stand also. That would solve the problem.
    "I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

- Tony Campolo

Uncool. Iowa is one awesome place, man. I know you're in love with
    O-H-I-O, but there are other places on Earth that are ten times better.

If you want to look at it just from a deer hunting stand-point, you should give southern Iowa a close look before you crown Ohio the king.

Be cool. No need for the hatin'.
    "I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

- Tony Campolo

Walking has always worked out well for me
    Pick a spot, a small spot!

Quote Originally Posted by nstrut View Post
    Uncool. Iowa is one awesome place, man. I know you're in love with
    O-H-I-O, but there are other places on Earth that are ten times better.

If you want to look at it just from a deer hunting stand-point, you should give southern Iowa a close look before you crown Ohio the king.

Be cool. No need for the hatin'.
    hate? what hate? If you saw a guy walking through the woods, bent over and swinging his arms, you
    wouldn't think that's very odd?

Being a type "A" personality I have a tendency to maintain a slow trot to my stand which is sometimes as much as 600 yards through swamps. I have to talk to myself about slowing down not because of the excess noise that I would make by being in a hurry but because even in the coldest temps I build up a sweat which promotes bacterial activity on the skin. This is not good!

My suggestion would be to leave earlier if you feel the need to get to your stand in a hurry.

Doug

The only time I ran was when I was chased by a bull, and that was on my way out. Other than that, I just walk at a steady pace, and stop everyso often. I don't want to get hot or sweaty, so I stop depending on how hot I am getting.

And Iowa rocks. I'd hunt there every year if it wasn't for the $450 price tag.

Depends on the stand for me. Ive got some stands that are hour hike. I take it slow so I dont get too warm. I have some stands on field edges that I like to drive the ATV right to them, especially for morning stands. These fields always have deer in them and if i use the ATV, the deer will scatter but usually filter back in. If I walk it and scatter deer, they dont come back all morning. Nothing like driving the ATV and parking it under that stand.

Early season I will cartwheel to the stand....later in the season I skip since it's hard to cartwheel with all the extra clothing and it makes me sweat....

Realy though it all depends on which stand I'm going to. I've used most of the methods discussed but usually will go slow to avoid sweating. Driving in when there are open fields usually works much better then walking in.
    B2E Hunt Club, NJ......Eden Ridge, KY
    '05 Switchback 68# -260 F.P.S.-Scott Wildcat-Beaman ICS 340- QAD- Spott Hogg SLICK TRICKS 125gr...
    '09 Admiral 70#- Hunter Hogg-it .... QAD - ST magnums 100gr- Easton axis- Posten 8"

hate? what hate? If you saw a guy walking through the woods, bent over and swinging his arms, you
    wouldn't think that's very odd?

Maybe, but the issue isn't his comment, it's yours:

Quote Originally Posted by iowabowtech View Post
    Maybe, but the issue isn't his comment, it's yours:
    Hmm, aren't you the guy who alleges scandalous activity by your DNR without proof? That they have
    been bought off and do what they're told?

Hmm, aren't you the guy who alleges scandalous activity by your DNR without proof? That they have
    been bought off and do what they're told?
    You are quite the piece of work. Anything to divert attention away from your own actions. Whatever helps you sleep at night man.

I parachute in...

Flatlanders
    famous Chris Bracket quote.
    "BUT THE MAIN REASON I SHOOT A RAGE IS THAT IF A GIANT WHITETAIL STEPS OUT AND I ONLY HAVE ONE SHOT AND ITS VITALS ARE BEHIND A TREE I CAN PULL MY PIN TO THE CENTER OF ITS GUTS AND PULL THE TRIGGER AND THE BUCK WONT BE FATHER THEN 100 YARDS 6 HOURS LATER!!!! DEAD DEER WALKING!!!!! BOOYAH!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Skewerer View Post
    I parachute in...
    what kind of camo is the chute? how do you keep it scent free?

Hiker vs. Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by iowabowtech View Post
    Depends. If I'm walking in a situation where I'm making significant noise, I'll ease up and try to be somewhat sneaky.

However, I'm exactly the opposite when using a picked field for entry. I've found it's best to walk exactly where I'm headed like I'm on a mission that doesn't involve hunting whatsoever. My theory is when a person hunkers down and gives a stalking appearance, deer recognizes that action as an active predator. But walking like I do, they always keep a safe distance no doubt but I've had them let me walk by and go back to feeding. I try to make minimal eye contact also. Maybe it's a farm country thing but it works for me.
    They do seem to recognize predator behavior. I'm in a suburban setting, and the deer see people all the time and know how humans usually act.

About a week ago I was heading out to my stand when I came upon two does. I "ignored" them, turned slightly away from them, and kept my pace. When I stopped for a moment, they walked my way out of curiosity. Lucky for them the three of us were in view of several houses!

Sometimes when I go mountain biking I'll meet up with a deer and stop and hang out 10 yards away. I guess since I'm relaxed and not stalking they don't feel threatened.
    OK, so my comment didn't add any significant wisdom to this discussion. But it DID up my post count, and pretty soon I will be regarded as a wise, experienced expert based on that alone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast