Thread: Tuning A Crossbow

Tuning A Crossbow

Thinking about getting a Crossbow for my Pops...

Do you need to tune it like a regular compound or is it pretty much set up from the factory and you just shoot it as is...

Wish I was Hunting

Sean McKenty Guest
    in most cases you are pretty much stuck how it comes , so you could really only play with arrow/point combinations. Some shops are able to check cam timming but with such a short draw it really not an issue for most. I do check the tiller on recurves at full draw, if they are out they can have the effect of throwing the bolt sideways so to speak. It will pretty much depend on the level of accuracy you are looking for.

tracked crossbows (ie 98% of those commercially available) don't need much in the way of tuning. on recurve crossbows, you can play with the braceheight which is what i do on target rigs.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    TARGETWORLD/HOYT Staff Shooter
    Proud CEO of Cincinnati Junior Olympians-the first JOAD CLUB
    I buy from BCY

thanks guys...
    Wish I was Hunting

you can change string cable optics for better performance

Sean McKenty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xbo View Post
    you can change string cable optics for better performance
    Because the string is so thick even a poorly made string will shoot well a few twists will take out alot of imperfections, same with cables, Optics are a personal choice and plays little on the bows performance. Getting a good fit to the bow will go alot farther than playing with strings and cables

Getting a good fit to the bow will go alot farther than playing with strings and cables
    I second that...

A custom stock can be made at at your local gunsmith(if he does stuff like that)
    it is much better when the crossbow fits you rather than adjusting yourself to fit what ever ambidextrous standard the company follows. Also an important factor in getting on target fast...with a correctly articulated stock made specifically for you(or your dad in this case)...your eye will go straight in line with the scope and you will be able to avoid the jerky head movement that has become a norm in taking aim. Just my two cents...Good luck!

My thoughts

The arrow should be extremely stiff so no spine tuning is needed. The FOC can make a significant difference in longer range accuracy. Many feel that 18%+/- is a good place to be. Indexed broadheads can help - 10,2,6 work well for me, good timing if compound x-bow and tiller check when cocked if recurve, mark center of string when not drawn and make sure it is still in the center when cocked(cocking aid helps here), I use stiff vanes and ones that don't make contact anywhere when being shot(check that the cock vane doesn't rub the bottom of the trough as it is being shot. For store bought arrows consider trying Red Hot arrow with a 125g point. Get just one and see how it groups(wt will be appx 438g). You will likely be pleased.
    Hope this helps.

This information is 4 years old. For those of us new to tuning a crossbow ... anybody have any updates to add????

Found this on CN. Interesting discussion.

http://www.crossbownation.com/forum/...ng#entry285534

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    This information is 4 years old. For those of us new to tuning a crossbow ... anybody have any updates to add????
    Being new to crossbows, I follow CBN regularly at the moment. I've asked the same cam timing questions as I noticed the cams on the Recruit I just bought were a bit out of time. So I had a bracket made for my EZ Press so I could press the narrower 16" ATA crossbow limbs, and after a few twists/untwists on the cables I was able to get the cams timed dead nuts. And they're still in time when cocked. Good luck.
    You can't fix stupid
    PSE Bow Madness, Easton ACC, Armortech sight, bunch of other crap
    Scropyd Ventilator 150, Hawke SR IR
    Barnett Recruit, Black Eagle Executioner bolts
    Trojan Shooting Staff