a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Burning a clover field?

Burning a clover field?

I planted a 4-5 acre clover field last year, and it has gotten a lot of weeds in it. I was wondering if I should burn it this spring before growth starts and then fertilize with a no nitrogen fertilizer to feed the clover and not the weeds.
    All input is much appreciated. Thanks

In my experience the best way to keep weeds out of your clover is to overseed in the thin areas and mow it a few times during the year.

would you just broadcast it in spring or frost seed it now?

I got all sorts of weeds last year and was afraid to mow because I didn't wanna spread weeds around. It was getting close to the opener and I couldn't resist, so I mowed, I wish I would've done it sooner. Did the trick. Its my first year w/ it. I hope them turkeys hit it this spring
    "]
    Bear Instinct maxima hunters octane stab octane quiver extreme 3 pin Rage broadheads
    Bear Attack octane stab octane hostage pro octane mag quiver fuse 3 pin sight Rage 2 blades

Wait till spring to overseed, use a starter fert ( low in N, high in phosphorus) and mow every month. Mowing is going to be your best weed control- without having to spend alot of money on chemicals.

Thanks

Smile

I am guessing you have more weeds than clover because mine is green right now under a foot of snow. There is no way you could burn it if you wanted to, that is why it is approved a firebreak around native grass stands. If your weeds are truly that bad i would do 3 timely applications of glyphosate through the spring/summer and then frost seed your clover come fall/winter. This way you have killed most the weed seed in the top portion of the soil and by frost seeding you are not bringing new seed up to the top to germinate. Just my .02 worth

I always frost feed because getting my tractor in the field in the spring is one muddy mess. Mow the clover or use POAST for the grass weeds, but mowing the clover is the best way. Clover will go faster then most weeds in the spring so over seeding has its advantages too.

Thanks for all the sound advice