Thread: Throw and Grow Food Plot Question

Throw and Grow Food Plot Question

Howdy... I was at BPS earlier looking at the "no-till" type food plot seeds that they offer. I live in northern virginia, and hunt in pretty thick woods. Any ideas/experiences of witch throw and grow type system works best? I like the idea of the no-till type stuff because some spots are just impossible to get anything to that cant easily be carried in.

I have great early season stands over white oaks, but after the acorns drop and all get eaten up, I have a really hard time finding the deer because the food sources become hard to locate. Thats why I'm looking to plant some forage that will draw the deer in, epically in the later season...

Thanks for the help... I'm looking forward to your responses!

Here's a little secret. Most any seed will grow in the carpet of your vehicle, so it will definitely grow in a small cleared spot deep in the woods. Therefore, instead of spending $75 on a 25# bag of "Throw and Grow", buy your favorite blend of seed along with a little 13-13-13 and watch the weather. Day before rain, take your rake, scratch out a small spot(doesn't have to be cleaned,just scratched. The leaves will help as cover to the seed) and "throw" your own. I promise you it will grow!

i would wait when season is over and go to wal mart and buy there throw and grow i bought 6 big bags prob for 4 buck and went out back and threw it out befor a rainy day and i have a huge food plot deer come and eat it all when it grows and they keep comen back but it is all in pref and (kingvtec) is right to u can buy ur own blend and make it ur self

How thick of woods is it? Consider the sunlight factor in mid summer after all the oaks are sporting leaves.I also did this on a new logging trail in the woods. The plot grew but was soon overrun with weeds by the time mid summer hit.

Quote Originally Posted by kingvtec View Post
    Here's a little secret. Most any seed will grow in the carpet of your vehicle, so it will definitely grow in a small cleared spot deep in the woods. Therefore, instead of spending $75 on a 25# bag of "Throw and Grow", buy your favorite blend of seed along with a little 13-13-13 and watch the weather. Day before rain, take your rake, scratch out a small spot(doesn't have to be cleaned,just scratched. The leaves will help as cover to the seed) and "throw" your own. I promise you it will grow!
    When you say "favorite blend of seeds" just what types are you talking about? Are you talking food plot seeds or going to the local hardware store and buying some clover seeds? Mel