Thread: What's My Arrow Weight

What's My Arrow Weight

I'm currently shooting 30" GoldTip 5575 xt hunters with 100 grain tips and blazer vanes. I know the shafts weigh 8.2 grains per inch but I have no idea what the weight is for vanes, nock, insert??? I'm Looking for a total arrow weight to enter into an arrow speed calculator.

Also does anybody know a rather lightweight 340 spined shaft I could shoot for hunting? I'm wanting to flatten out the trajectory a bit.

If it helps:

09 martin firecat 60#

I have a 29" draw but my arrows are cut to 30" to help with FOC.

Assuming a 10 grain nock, your arrow weighs in at 387 grains. Also assuming your points are screw-in's.

Hunting arrows

Quote Originally Posted by MMMike View Post
    I'm currently shooting 30" GoldTip 5575 xt hunters with 100 grain tips and blazer vanes. I know the shafts weigh 8.2 grains per inch but I have no idea what the weight is for vanes, nock, insert??? I'm Looking for a total arrow weight to enter into an arrow speed calculator.

Also does anybody know a rather lightweight 340 spined shaft I could shoot for hunting? I'm wanting to flatten out the trajectory a bit.

If it helps:

09 martin firecat 60#

I have a 29" draw but my arrows are cut to 30" to help with FOC.
    I am working the very same direction and have the same bow DW and DL. I am cutting my arrows to 31 however to give my fingers plenty of clearance from the broadheads.

There is nothing wrong with your GT 5575 XT hunters for hunting. They have enough weight for adequate kinetic energy and penetration and yet are light enough and thin enough to flatten your trajectory (assuming you are shooting heavier arrows now) and to reduce environmental influences.

Depending on your tip weight, and if you will be using a lighted nock, you may be OK on the lighter side of the spine chart. If you are using a standard nock and a heavier tip (for your FOC), you may want to go to the 7595 model (which will add a bit of weight).

I am certainly no expert, but have learned much from the users of this forum.

i dont see with a 28" arrow that you would have ANY issues with not having good FOC????

Hoyt Vector35 - QAD - Spot-Hogg - Doinker - Easton - FOB's
    Hoyt Dorado 50# - FMJ's
    T.R.U. Ball www.truball.com FOB's www.Starrflight.com Doinker www.doinker.com
    "If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!"

This Link will tell you your Gold Tip arrow weight and more.....http://www.goldtip.com/ultralight.htm

Thanks for the help. I also forgot to mention the added length of the 30" arrow....as mentioned by one of you....is for broadhead clearance (just in case)!!!

As of now I am only using this bow for hunting. But I could see shortening up some arrows if I ever got into 3d or target shooting to gain a few feet per second!

I came up with 389.4 grains using Gold Tips arrow building chart
    HOYT HAVOC-TEC,EXTREME RT900,DROP ZONE ,MUZZY 3 BLADE,ACC 3-49
    HOYT AM32,VIPER H1000,DROP ZONE ,MUZZY MX3 ,TROPHY RIDGE CRUSH 400

US Army 1981 - 1989