Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 hmr

17 hmr

im looking to buy a new bolt action 17hmr sometime in the next few months. i want a stainless steel barrel possibly fluted and a thumbhole stock. let me know what you guys think is best

Can't go wrong with a savage model 93. There are many variations of this gun, including stainless thumbhole. The accu-trigger is awesome. I have a model 93 and you can shoot dimes all day at 50yds with no challenge whatsoever. Awesome gun
    Mathews S2, JBK Strings, Easton Axis, Spot Hogg Right On, and QAD Ultra Pro LD
    USS Santa Barbara AE-28

Ive found very little practical use for rounds between 22LR and a 223 ? for small critters you normally want to eat, the 17 tears too much meat up and for critters you dont, the 223 is gonna do everything the 17 is gonna do 4 times better.

Quote Originally Posted by missionman44 View Post
    Can't go wrong with a savage model 93. There are many variations of this gun, including stainless thumbhole. The accu-trigger is awesome. I have a model 93 and you can shoot dimes all day at 50yds with no challenge whatsoever. Awesome gun
    I agree. My brother just bought this one....
    Attached Images Attached Images

+1 for Savage
    The General
    Easton Axis 400
    Ripcord Rest
    Armortech HD 4-Pin
    Slick Tricks 100gr.

Quote Originally Posted by kill shill View Post
    ive found very little practical use for rounds between 22lr and a 223 ? For small critters you normally want to eat, the 17 tears too much meat up and for critters you dont, the 223 is gonna do everything the 17 is gonna do 4 times better.
    +1____________

Quote Originally Posted by Kill Shill View Post
    Ive found very little practical use for rounds between 22LR and a 223 ? for small critters you normally want to eat, the 17 tears too much meat up and for critters you dont, the 223 is gonna do everything the 17 is gonna do 4 times better.
    i already have a 243 i just want something that is fun and cheap to shoot longer ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by missionman44 View Post
    thats what i was looking at was the savage 93. ive heard great things about them. thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Burny1130 View Post
    i already have a 243 i just want something that is fun and cheap to shoot longer ranges.
    This is what I bought...Savage 17 model 93RBVSS (stainless w/ bull barrel and gray wood laminated stock). I also put a BSA Sweet 17 scope on it. It is a tack driver. It's not hard to shoot 5 rounds and cover those 5 holes with a Quarter at 100yds!

When you mention that you want something to shoot longer ranges than a .243...I'm not sure this is the answer!? It is cheaper to shoot...but great over about 150yds (no energy left in the bullet). GREAT gun for plinking, gophers, prairie dogs, squirrels, neighbors cats etc. I've found that it is too small for even the smallest predators like coyotes and fox unless you hit them PERFECTLY. Fun gun and cheap to get into a nice one.

I have that exact gun and absolutely love it! Heck of a lot cheaper to shoot than a .223 thats for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by dmc7028 View Post
    I agree. My brother just bought this one....
    PSE Revenge, Hoyt AlphaMax35
    PSE Chaos NI (Wife's) Pse Pink/Antlerworks Chaos NI (Daughter's)
    Diamond Razor's Edge (Daughter's)
    Reflex ProHawk (Son's)
    Diamond Nuclear Ice (youngest Son's)

Marlin makes a 17 in Laminated thumbhole stock as well that is nice. That and the Savage would be my first choices in that caliber.

Rimfires not practical? Are you kidding me? Cheap to shoot, fun to shoot, very effective on game, great practice, fun to shoot. Go to www.rimfirecentral.com to get all the info you could ever imagine about rimfires!

I'm thinking about adding a Savage to my modest rimfire collection that includes my first rifle, a Marlin Mod 60, a Ruger 77/22Mag, a Remington 597 heavy barrel 22lr, and a Taurus Tracker revolver in 22lr. I'm also soon to add a Ruger 22/45 MKIII Hunter to that collection.

Savage has come out with a bunch of new .17's for 2010. Go search under their new gun section on their website, some really nice offerings.

I agree with the guys above though, I don't really have a niche for a .17, but YMMV. My collection goes from .22lr straight to .223 as well, but if an affordable bolt action in 5.7x28 became available I might reconsider.
    Ashland County Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
    My collection goes from .22lr straight to .223 as well, but if an affordable bolt action in 5.7x28 became available I might reconsider.
    Same here 4-.22 rifles and 2-.22 pistols then I go to my AR-15.

I agree on the 17, my collection will continue to include both .22lr and .22mag. I've never been enamored with the little .17's but to each their own. Rimfires can be addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawBiz View Post
    This is what I bought...Savage 17 model 93RBVSS (stainless w/ bull barrel and gray wood laminated stock). I also put a BSA Sweet 17 scope on it. It is a tack driver. It's not hard to shoot 5 rounds and cover those 5 holes with a Quarter at 100yds!

When you mention that you want something to shoot longer ranges than a .243...I'm not sure this is the answer!? It is cheaper to shoot...but great over about 150yds (no energy left in the bullet). GREAT gun for plinking, gophers, prairie dogs, squirrels, neighbors cats etc. I've found that it is too small for even the smallest predators like coyotes and fox unless you hit them PERFECTLY. Fun gun and cheap to get into a nice one.
    im not necessarily looking for something to shoot farther ranges than my 243 but similar i just meant longer ranges in general but thanks for the reply i have seen that savage and i like it a lot that same gun comes with a thumbhole stock as well and it is one of my top choices

this looks like one of my top choices

If you buy one...you won't regret it! They are fun and good guns for the money...Accutrigger is very nice on the Savages too.

Ive got a Marlin and love it. Its acurate and not to spendy. The trigger is alittle heavy from the factory but that can be fixed easily. Ive also heard ALOT of good things about the savages and the accutrigger. I dont think you could go wrong with either. Treat it like a bow and pick the one that feels right.

go with a savage with accutrigger, bull barrel and BSA Sweet seventeen scope and you'll be set

Quote Originally Posted by Reit38 View Post
    go with a savage with accutrigger, bull barrel and BSA Sweet seventeen scope and you'll be set
    +1 EXACTLY my setup...love it!

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawBiz View Post
    +1 EXACTLY my setup...love it!
    haha mine too... id never get rid of that gun. friend has same gun w/o bull barrel and a smaller Sweet 17 scope and its just not the same tack driving machine

I have an older model Savage with the heavy barrel I wish it had the acutrigger. It is a tack driver!! My favorite squirrel rifle next to my Ruger 10/22's.

17 hrm

I have 6 .22's then a 17 mach ll then 17hrm.Both the 17's are converted ruger 10/22 so are semi automatic. (hrm was a 22 mag in another life)Low noise,low expense,accurate and fun to shoot.Just a few reasons I like rimfires.

I have the Marlin 917VSF and I like it alot.

Hey Burney1130...What kind is that? I'd like to get one of those.

that is a savage 93r17 bsev its a new 2010 model

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast