Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: archery regarding a felony question?

archery regarding a felony question?

My friend came to me the other day expressing an interest in bowhunting. But the thing is that he has a felony. My question is, does a bow and arrow fall under a weapon in regards to felonies?

He is not allowed to own or possess a weapon or firearm in accordance with the conviction. does a bow and arrow fall under this catogory?

The state of conviction is Pa.

any info or direction would greatly be appreciated..

If PA is anything like KY....then YES...he can bowhunt and posses a bow. A felon cannot posses and firearms, such as pistol, rifle, shotgun, or muzzleloader. Tell him to talk to his Probation and Parole Officer to make sure.

You will have to check your state laws cocearning the defination. In Washington felons can own bows and hunt archery, but I think that each state would have a differant outlook on laws, and how they are writen. You could call your state law enforcment agency and ask them.

4. If I am not mistaken the Felony is a Federal matter and therefore as I understand it your friend can't own or posess and firearms. This means any gun discharged by an explosive charge.

Unless the State has passed something more harsh he can own and use the following:
    Archery Equipment
    Air Powered Rifles and Pistols.

I have a good friend also with a Felony and this is how he has armend himself. They make Air Rifles nowadays that shoot up to .50 Caliber balls over 1000 f/s! He got an Elk with his Air Rifle this year!
    Tony Virnoche
    www.thearcheryprogram.com
    TAP PRO, TAPes and TAP for Windows Mobile Devices

Muzzleloaders don't count as a firearm under the Brady Bill
    Z7 and Martin recurve
    Proud to be on the Wounded Warrior hog hunt at Shiloh...I am blessed

Quote Originally Posted by misfitmedic View Post
    Muzzleloaders don't count as a firearm under the Brady Bill
    Hmmm, interesting....I know a convicted felon and they will not sell hime a muzzleloader because of his conviction. I'm going to have to research this one. I work in law enforcement and have seen may people get denied muzzleloaders because of their felonys.

individual states can make their own rules about firearms thanks to the 14th amendment...lol

There's no NICS check for a muzzleloader
    Z7 and Martin recurve

It worked for the Dukes of Hazard

Like others said, they're not firearms, should be ok.
    Stop making me think, I'm busy believing over here
    ANCORA IMPARO
    Stop learning, start dying

Felonies are at the State and Federal level, you would have to verify each criminal statute to ensure compliance. PO and Prosecutor are good sources to verify. These laws aren't concerned with Brady as far as firearm for this respective to a muzzle loader.

Quote Originally Posted by misfitmedic View Post
    individual states can make their own rules about firearms thanks to the 14th amendment...lol

There's no NICS check for a muzzleloader
    lol....I can agree with the 14th. My wife used to work for a NICS center before she became a 911 dispatcher and I know they don't background check for it. Just curious though as to why they wouldnt sell them. Ahhh well!!!

He can use a bow in PA. I know a guy that has used a crossbow for years because of this. He had a felony back in 1974.

12. Quote Originally Posted by kyarrowslinger View Post
    lol....I can agree with the 14th. My wife used to work for a NICS center before she became a 911 dispatcher and I know they don't background check for it. Just curious though as to why they wouldnt sell them. Ahhh well!!!
    They won't sell them to a Felon because they are 'Firearms'...

noun...
    A weapon, especially a pistol or rifle, capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.

I know for sure in the state of WI, Felons can't own or posses a muzzleloader.
    Tony Virnoche
    www.thearcheryprogram.com
    TAP PRO, TAPes and TAP for Windows Mobile Devices

Some states differentiate between replica percussion and flintlock type muzzleloaders and the new modern in-line, so check with the state GW, check with your Parole Officer, and if it was me, I'd get it in writing.

Also, the Tx penal code says a felon can possess a firearm on the premises where he/she lives after 5 years from release from prison or parole--or something like that. Doesn't mean you can possess one on your deer lease-only the premises where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by TAP View Post
    They won't sell them to a Felon because they are 'Firearms'...

noun...
    A weapon, especially a pistol or rifle, capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.

I know for sure in the state of WI, Felons can't own or posses a muzzleloader.
    Yeah....I understand "Firearms" I work in law enforcement but I do know for a fact that the reason they do not perform background checks on muzzleloaders is because (and this come from NCIC) a muzzleloader does not perform an explosive charge to fire the weapon. I know, we all can laugh at that but as mentioned, that come straight from NCIC. And I know of mutiple places in KY that will not sell them to felons but I know of some places in TN that will.

Your friend needs to talk to a lawyer and have the answers to a few basic questions like

What was he arrested and charged with?

Is he still on parole/probation?

What are the terms of his parole/probation?

How long ago was the conviction?

Without these, nobody can give you any good advice about the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by kyarrowslinger View Post
    Hmmm, interesting....I know a convicted felon and they will not sell hime a muzzleloader because of his conviction. I'm going to have to research this one. I work in law enforcement and have seen may people get denied muzzleloaders because of their felonys.
    In Indiana a Muzzleloader is not considered a firearm therefore when a muzzleloader is purchased there is no 4473 form needed to be filled out unless the muzzleloader can be converted into a rifle like the encore. Definately check with his parole officer, its not worth taking a risk

in va.

someone with a felony can hunt and possess a bow or x-bow.but cannot have a muzzleloader,va. counts them as a fire arm.////under federal law a muzzleloader is a primitive weapon and is not a fire arm...so word to the wise check with your states law it will supercede.....if in fact the state counts it as a fire arm....i have heard of states that wont allow a felon to possess a bow...robert
    Elite answer/axcel/qad/gold tip/g5

Atf

The ATF doesn't consider a muzzle loader a firearm unless you can interchange barrels and make it something other then a muzzle loader

Alot of states it depends on what the felony was for....ie: a violent or domestic abuse felony, or like a robbery or non violent crime...to dictate wether or not a firearm can be purchased. The Nics check is very specific about the crimes and restraining order category.

But, individual states CAN supercede the federal rules and further restrict gun sales
    Z7 and Martin recurve

Quote Originally Posted by rmomn View Post
    The ATF doesn't consider a muzzle loader a firearm unless you can interchange barrels and make it something other then a muzzle loader
    This is true and is why u can purchase black powder rifles over the web. Exceptions include tc encore and cva interchangeable barrel rifles.
    There are very few problems that can't be solved with High Explosives.

Quote Originally Posted by kyarrowslinger View Post
    In MO fellons can buy and posses a muzzle loader but it can't use a 209 style primer

I'm loving Colorado more and more...lol
    Z7 and Martin recurve

ml

when i purchased my muzzle loader from a gun shop it was packaged as a starter kit hanging on the shelf it is a traditions pursuit LT break open and it takes 209 primers. anyhow i just grabbed it off the shelf took it to the register and paid for it no backround check or anything? i just always thought a muzzleloader was not considered a firearm
    2013 PSE DNA Olive Brown

I know in ID you can have a Bow and a Crossbow and muzzleloader to hunt and own. But really need to look into your state laws and see how it is written.

Quote Originally Posted by op27 View Post
    He can use a bow in PA. I know a guy that has used a crossbow for years because of this. He had a felony back in 1974.
    He's used a crossbow for years? They just passed the law to allow them last year. Maybe that was his felony.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast