Thread: Heatshrink On Strings?

Heatshrink On Strings?

I see a lot of strings nowadays that have the extra nock crimps added for speed enhancement and they put heat shrink over them.

My question is in two parts:

1. What heat shrink do stringers recommend?

2. What heat source do they use?

Michael

Thats a good question. I have been wondering the same exact thing.

I just go the the electronics store and by the thin heat shrink, and just big enough to make it over the brass nock sets. Cut it about an 1/4" longer then the nock sets and hit it carefully with a heat gun set on low. Never had any problems doing it like that.
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo / Hoyt Spyder 34 / QAD Ultra HDX / Center Circle Bow Strings / Hogg-It Wrapped / Bee Stinger Stabilizer / Carter RX1 / Carter Too Simple / Tru Ball HT/ NAP Spitfire 100 gr. / Easton ACC 3-49 / Blazers / ASAT Camo / Jim Beam / Copenhagen / Ford Trucks
    **Don't Tread On Me**

Lighter works fine too of you just sorta wave It.
    3-D - '13 Diamond Core - QAD - Axcell Armortech HD - Scott Longhorn - AEP Snyper - Gold Tip Velocity 500s
    Bowfishing - Oneida Tomcat X80 - AMS Rest - AMS Retreiver - AMS Arrow

Not a lot of heat required.
    Regular hair dryer works fine.
    Anyone like me who no longer has a use for one can borrow the wifes/girlfriends/daughters.

Kev
    AlienX, Next camo, 63lbs, 405gr@270fps, for bigger game.
    AlienX, Black/Skullz 60lbs, 340gr@300fps, AlienX, Next Camo, 56lb, 304gr@300fps, for 3D
    2003 Hoyt Razortec XT2000 63lb, 360gr@275fps, for 3D and light game.
    2008 Parker Trailblazer XP/Hoyt cam 1/2 Frankenbow 62lb,
    Samick T/D Recurve 50lb @ 28"

Yup you can get heat shrink tubing at any hardware store in the electrical section. Home Depot has been the cheapest for me so far. And I generally use a lighter. Just be careful not to use too much heat and not get it to close to exposed string as it can burn it pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Archerynut008 View Post
    Yup you can get heat shrink tubing at any hardware store in the electrical section. Home Depot has been the cheapest for me so far. And I generally use a lighter. Just be careful not to use too much heat and not get it to close to exposed string as it can burn it pretty fast.
    Exactly the reason I use a heat gun on low (with the small attachment on the end). I do tend to be a little accident prone at times and open flame and string fibers aren't a good combination...
    But, if you do use a lighter, use a regular BIC type lighter and not one of those 'rocket engine/crack lighters'......trust me on this one..... )
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo / Hoyt Spyder 34 / QAD Ultra HDX / Center Circle Bow Strings / Hogg-It Wrapped / Bee Stinger Stabilizer / Carter RX1 / Carter Too Simple / Tru Ball HT/ NAP Spitfire 100 gr. / Easton ACC 3-49 / Blazers / ASAT Camo / Jim Beam / Copenhagen / Ford Trucks
    **Don't Tread On Me**

Question Speed Enhancement??

Why are you guys crimping on extra nocking points to the string? I read where the more stuff you have on your string, the more speed you are loosing. One other question: How do you get the heat-shrink tubing onto the string? Unstring the bow? Please inform me......Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHawk View Post
    Why are you guys crimping on extra nocking points to the string? I read where the more stuff you have on your string, the more speed you are loosing. One other question: How do you get the heat-shrink tubing onto the string? Unstring the bow? Please inform me......Dave
    Yep you have to take the string off one end of the cam to slide the tubing on it. And yes generally that is the case but you can set the speed nocks fairly close the the cams and it will help to accelerate the string instead of slowing it down.
    NBA 09' Genetix Black NBA '12 Eclipse Black riser Optifade Forest limbs NBA '13 Genetix Black
    newbreedarchery.com

Thanks for replys, I think I will go with the small hot air gun as I have seen a few accidents with the BIC lighters over the years.

Dave

A few bow brands come out with the speed nocks fitted near the cams at factory. Some people have asked me to fit them to their new strings and I just wanted to double check on the heat shrink as I have never put heat shrink on a string before, I will stick with thin walled non resin type for the job.

As for speed gained you can pick up 2 - 6fps from this mod on some bows, we have played with a crono and added 1 nock each end at a time and found a steady increase till 3 (sometimes only 2) nocks and then it starts to slow down again with 4, also we played with the distance from the cam to find the sweet spot, of course this would change with different bows so there is no hard and fast rule that covers all bows.

Hope this helps.

Michael

ttt

a little trick I have been using for yrs now when installing shrink tubing on the speed nocks on the string is wrap a piece of aluminum foil around it and put the flame or heat gun on the foil and you dont put the heat directly on the string..works really well
    JOHN'S CUSTOM ARCHERY LLC(Custom strings and tuning)
    PSE,Athens,New Breed ,Obsession,Elite,Xpedition dealer
    2014 Bows Arriving Daily
    whalens hooker dealer,tight spot quivers.
    PSE PRO STAFF

Quote Originally Posted by Breathn View Post
    a little trick I have been using for yrs now when installing shrink tubing on the speed nocks on the string is wrap a piece of aluminum foil around it and put the flame or heat gun on the foil and you dont put the heat directly on the string..works really well
    Nice tip!
    JBK Bowstrings Why shoot anything else? www.JBKStrings.com
    BLACK EAGLE ARROWS

Nice Tip Sensei'

Quote Originally Posted by Breathn View Post
    PARK-N-SONS ARCHERY CUSTOM STRINGS AND TUNING LLC
    "ADVANCING ARCHERY ONE STRING AT A TIME"
    BCY-X/452X, Stormy Hardwoods, Spot-Hogg, Tight Spot, TRU Ball, Carter, Limb-driver Rests, Black Eagle Arrows, Doinker Stabs, Vortex Optics, Hamskea
    String and tuning inquiries please visit my web site parknsonsarchery dot com CONTACT US