Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Quietest Crossbow

  1. #1
    lowdrag Guest

    Quietest Crossbow

    I am thinking about purchasing a crossbow for my wife, and wondering what is the quiestest crossbow on the market? I don't mind if it is a little on the slow side, or a little on the cumbersome side either. As long as it is fair simple to use, natural to pull up, and QUIET.

    Thank you.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Posts
    1,396
    Low drag what would be an SCM at about 2k or a Scorpyd RDT100 at about 1k. After that the next option would be an Excalibur Vixen II recurve limbed bow with an STS installed and a Viper X or a Boo custom string.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Elliottsburg,PA
    Posts
    846
    i have shot a couple different brands, all 175lbs. and above, and they all sound the same to me. i havent shot one that is quiet yet. they shoot so fast though it doesnt matter. the bolt is there before the animal even reacts. at least that has been my experience so far.

  4. #4
    Parkers are very silent compared to other Xbows You can add Limb savers as Parkers dont come with them

  5. #5
    lowdrag Guest
    Thanks for the input everybody. I am going to do some more homework on the bows listed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,437
    Horton Vision

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northrn MN.
    Posts
    2,820
    Quiet and crossbow are antithetical: no such thing, if measured by what a deer hears. Moreover, most anything that is done to quiet a CB meaningfully reduces arrow speed. IMO it's more productive to focus on one careful shot, at a relaxed animal, at a reasonable distance than trying to sneak up on them with a CB arrow.
    Why do I hunt? Simple, it's BASIC.
    Why do you breathe?!

    Excalibur, Mission, single shot rifles and handguns

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Cossack2 View Post
    Quiet and crossbow are antithetical: no such thing, if measured by what a deer hears. Moreover, most anything that is done to quiet a CB meaningfully reduces arrow speed. IMO it's more productive to focus on one careful shot, at a relaxed animal, at a reasonable distance than trying to sneak up on them with a CB arrow.
    Depends on your definition on quiet!My Vision is as quiet as most modern compounds and that is my definition of a quiet crossbow.I would have agreed a couple of years ago when i played around with Excalibur and Parker crossbows,they were loud.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northrn MN.
    Posts
    2,820
    My definition of quiet is implied in the post: so quiet that deer can't hear it. Anything else is really only for the SHOOTER'S benefit. Even if your Vision is as quiet as you say it is (I'd rather you'd specified DBLs rather than a subjective comparison to "most modern compounds"), you're likely only getting one shot at an animal; the motion and noise of re cocking pretty much assures that. Therefore my mantra: one careful shot, at a relaxed animal, at reasonable distance.
    Glad you like your Vinson. How's the serving holding up?
    Why do I hunt? Simple, it's BASIC.
    Why do you breathe?!

    Excalibur, Mission, single shot rifles and handguns

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    339

    quiet

    I've owned and tried;
    excalibur
    horton
    stryker
    parker
    scorpyd
    The bows are listed from loudest to quietest, the excalibur without any silencers is almost like a .22 lr, the scorpyd which is the quietest crossbow I've owned sounds similar to a compound, the sound of the arrow hitting the target is louder than the bow.

  11. #11
    lowdrag Guest
    I appreciate all the input guys and gal(Wouldn't forget about you Aggie). The Vision and several Excaliburs' are more readily available to me at this time, so I will start there, but won't stop until I find a suitable CB. 1 shot is all my wife will have the nerve for at the moment of truth. I realize that a CB is louder than a conventional bow, but I still want the quiestest for her, without spending $2000. The price tag on a new Vision or Ex. is at the farthest end of what I would want to spend at this time.

    Thanks again for all the input, I will check in later.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Cossack2 View Post
    My definition of quiet is implied in the post: so quiet that deer can't hear it. Anything else is really only for the SHOOTER'S benefit. Even if your Vision is as quiet as you say it is (I'd rather you'd specified DBLs rather than a subjective comparison to "most modern compounds"), you're likely only getting one shot at an animal; the motion and noise of re cocking pretty much assures that. Therefore my mantra: one careful shot, at a relaxed animal, at reasonable distance.
    Glad you like your Vinson. How's the serving holding up?
    I agree about the one shot deal.If a deer cant hear it,i would call that silent,not quiet.Having hunted with compound bows for 27 years my biggest complaint about crossbows has always been the noise they produce,the Vision doesn't.I dont have a way to measure DBLs but you can read Jon Teaters review at the top of the page,he evaluated and recorded the DBLs.The serving is holding up great and i am using the factory string.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hayden Alabama
    Posts
    607
    I have not ever seen a Scorpyd, so I can not compare them.
    I have shot
    Parker
    Ten Point
    Exc.
    Horton
    Barret
    Bow Tec's $700.00 bow??
    I think Parker is the quietest..JMO

    Leave the slincers off they will come off in a short time and throw your POI off. Besides they do not really help. (on the Parker Tornado)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    In a Tarpon boat.
    Posts
    8,825
    My Scorpyd is as quiet as any of my compounds but not as quiet as a one cam Mathews or some of the newest compounds like the Strother.
    Bowman Accu-Riser I and II...Greatest built American bows of all time
    Hamskea Versa Rest, Hogg Father sight, Paridigm stabilizer.
    Scorpyd Crossbows... nothing else compares
    Zeiss Victory HT 10x42 binoculars...simply superb

  15. #15
    lowdrag Guest
    I've been surfing the web looking for the scorpyd for sale, but just end up back here on AT. How much are these boogers again?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    In a Tarpon boat.
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by lowdrag View Post
    I've been surfing the web looking for the scorpyd for sale, but just end up back here on AT. How much are these boogers again?
    Here's link to the site with prices for the bows and package.
    http://scorpyd.com/store.html
    The new 165 bow will cost $150.00 extra for the package and bow over the RDT 125 model.
    Bowman Accu-Riser I and II...Greatest built American bows of all time
    Hamskea Versa Rest, Hogg Father sight, Paridigm stabilizer.
    Scorpyd Crossbows... nothing else compares
    Zeiss Victory HT 10x42 binoculars...simply superb

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Posts
    1,143
    If you want quiet, you definitely do not want an Excal, or other brand of recurve bow. They sound like guns going off!! I, as you can probably tell, am a big fan of Parkers, but I also like the Hortons. If you are looking for a compact, quiet, accurate, fast bow, and don't want to break the bank, give the Tornado a real hard look. Shoot it against others, and see how it feels. Only by doing this will she see what she likes best.

    Rob

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Americas Third World
    Posts
    419
    Horton Vision is the quietest bow that I have tested. IIRC

    There was a running tabulation of data that I had collected over the past couple of years and adding info from other crossbow sites and testers (such as wyvern).

    I will see if I can dig up those old posts for a reference point.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Americas Third World
    Posts
    419
    That previous thread was from January 2007 and was titled "Quietest xbow over 300 fps". I can't find my original data and I'll be forced to recompile it. I hate loosing data...

  20. #20
    lowdrag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D-GURU View Post
    If you want quiet, you definitely do not want an Excal, or other brand of recurve bow. They sound like guns going off!! I, as you can probably tell, am a big fan of Parkers, but I also like the Hortons. If you are looking for a compact, quiet, accurate, fast bow, and don't want to break the bank, give the Tornado a real hard look. Shoot it against others, and see how it feels. Only by doing this will she see what she likes best.

    Rob
    Yeah, we don't live too far from Cabela's, so maybe we will slip up there and take a look at their inventory. Thanks for the post.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Virginia
    Posts
    17,404

    My SCM Twinbow and Vision 175 are

    the quietest crossbows I've ever shot but I would recommend you look at other aspects of hunting crossbows if it actually is to be used for hunting. Things like physical weight, difficulty level of cocking, how the crossbow handles and feels in the hand and ease of maintenance are more important than how loud it is. JMO There are many choices and nothing beats actually holding the crossbows in hand and even shooting them. Have fun shopping Also talk to dealers about brands and models that have had reliability problems during the last year. Most of them will tell you.
    MOON

    Super "Small" Recurve Xbows- The Future of Recurve Hunting Xbows

    STRYKER 350- LS 390 COMPOUND XBOWS - YOU CAN SPEND MORE .......

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Posts
    1,396
    Moon, I have to agree with you on the check out the reliability factor. I have (admitting being a dumbass in public) dry fired my Vortex 3 times and it survived and is still going strong along with you dumping yours out of the tree and it survived. Excals are about as bullet proof as a crossbow can get. I do like others like the Scorpyd..but the Excals are just about fool and idiot proof.

  23. #23
    lowdrag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonkryket View Post
    the quietest crossbows I've ever shot but I would recommend you look at other aspects of hunting crossbows if it actually is to be used for hunting. Things like physical weight, difficulty level of cocking, how the crossbow handles and feels in the hand and ease of maintenance are more important than how loud it is. JMO There are many choices and nothing beats actually holding the crossbows in hand and even shooting them. Have fun shopping Also talk to dealers about brands and models that have had reliability problems during the last year. Most of them will tell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by recurveman View Post
    Moon, I have to agree with you on the check out the reliability factor. I have (admitting being a dumbass in public) dry fired my Vortex 3 times and it survived and is still going strong along with you dumping yours out of the tree and it survived. Excals are about as bullet proof as a crossbow can get. I do like others like the Scorpyd..but the Excals are just about fool and idiot proof.
    I really appreciate the information guys. A quiet bow, or "quietest X-bow", gives me a place to start looking. Reliabilty should be my biggest concern, but I'm not one to hang on to my equipment forever. If my wife can use this X-bow for say 5 years, we will be in business. Also, she will use it maybe 3 times a year in the woods, and 5 times that on the range, so we shouldn't have a bunch of time spent reserving the string. Again, thanks for all the input, I now have about 2 weeks worth of being a salesman to myself.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Duson, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,680
    One that is often overlooked is the Darton. The new Serpent for those that have shot it at the ATA show, all know how quiet the bow was. Not the fastest by any means but one that you can hear the difference-a lot.
    Not on the web site yet and will not ship until the beginning of March!!.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    Thomas Jefferson 1802
    Dealer: Darton, Target Boy Targets, Specialty Archery, and more!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Meechigan
    Posts
    3,894
    tag
    You can't fix stupid
    PSE Bow Madness, Easton ACC, Armortech sight, bunch of other crap
    Scropyd Silver Ventilator 125, Tapps, Hawke SR IR
    Barnett Recruit, Black Eagle Executioner bolts
    Trojan Shooting Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Quietest crossbow?
    By rcd567 in forum Crossbow Forum - General Crossbow Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 7th, 2010, 06:08 PM
  2. Which vanes do you think are the quietest?
    By carteranderson in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: September 3rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
  3. Quietest Sight ??
    By PaMike in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: March 21st, 2007, 09:13 PM
  4. Quietest shooting crossbow?????
    By swapwap in forum Crossbow Forum - General Crossbow Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: December 31st, 2005, 08:21 PM
  5. What is the quietest new bow?
    By tmorelli in forum General Archery Discussion
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: September 24th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •