Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quest Primal vs. Mathews DXT/Reezen

Quest Primal vs. Mathews DXT/Reezen

Ok heres my question. I can get a Quest Primal brand new in box for cheap, and when i say cheap, i mean cheap($396). But I can't shoot it due to no one near me carrying it. OR, I can buy a DXT or Reezen off the classifieds, which i've shot and do like, but will pay more for and won't have a warranty with it, and it won't be brand new. You guys think its worth the risk to go with the primal? All i've heard is good things about it, but i've never shot a twin cam before. Thanks in advance, and please no fanboys.

Talking

I shot the primal, nice bow for the money you are talking about buy the primal you can't go wrong

ttt

I would buy the Primal for $400 in a heartbeat. Wasn't able to shoot one b/c they didn't have a lefty for me but the grip felt nice and was a well balanced bow.

the cabelas around here carries it so i shot it just for the hell of it and it was great for the price you mentioned, i dont think you can beat it for that much...it had some things i didnt like about it but it might be just me...nice all around bow but its not in the same class as the dxt or reezen imo tho

Question

Quote Originally Posted by cdalle6 View Post
    Ok heres my question. I can get a Quest Primal brand new in box for cheap, and when i say cheap, i mean cheap($396). But I can't shoot it due to no one near me carrying it. OR, I can buy a DXT or Reezen off the classifieds, which i've shot and do like, but will pay more for and won't have a warranty with it, and it won't be brand new. You guys think its worth the risk to go with the primal? All i've heard is good things about it, but i've never shot a twin cam before. Thanks in advance, and please no fanboys.
    What part of Kentucky are you in?

Lexington, KY

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by cdalle6 View Post
    Lexington, KY
    Never mind man. We are in different worlds. I saw a primal at the Gander Mountain in Evansville IN the other day, the pictures don't do that G-fade camo pattern justice. it was really nice.

The only thing that hurts the primal is it dont have the big name as the mathews but my oppinon is its just has nice if not better

I've shot them both alot, the G5 is a very nice bow, sits nice in the hand. but it is NOWHERE near as quiet of vibration free as ANY mathews, i promise you that. if you can deal with some vibration and noise, you may like it.

and the fade finish is a homerun LOOKS great!

I work at Cabelas and shoot mathews. i would totally say that you are getting a very nice bow if you buy either. The g5 is very nice but, it has a pretty bad vibration when shot. other than that it shoots increadible. I was never a big fan of mathews till i worked there and shot them from fellow employees. I have a XT and a z7 both are amazing. If you shoot them side by side you will notice a difference.

for those of you talking about vibration...is this before any vibration reducers have been added or do you think it will always be there? I just find myself hard to justify paying more for a used bow because of the name, or getting a new bow for half off basically. thanks for the replies guys.

Quote Originally Posted by THU4395 View Post
    The only thing that hurts the primal is it dont have the big name as the mathews but my oppinon is its just has nice if not better

Big name "YET"...I would also buy the primal. I love me g5 Bows got a few of them still going to add the Primal to the stable.

No matter what I have put on the bow it has a "buzz" in it. We adjusted the string stop and it helped, 390 grain arrow BTW. Not stone dead in your hands by any means like a Strother but VERY liveable. 3point5 is wonderful isn't it?
    G-Fade Quest Primal LH 72# @ 29.25"
    Proline Strings BCY X
    GT Velocity XT's 372gr
    Speed = 309 fps
    Grim Reapers....Watch em drop!

Quote Originally Posted by 454casull View Post
    No matter what I have put on the bow it has a "buzz" in it. We adjusted the string stop and it helped, 390 grain arrow BTW. Not stone dead in your hands by any means like a Strother but VERY liveable. 3point5 is wonderful isn't it?
    One of the best sites I've ever visited. That's the biggest drain on my wallet haha.

Thumbs up G5 primal

I have shot the DXT, the Reezen, and The Primal. I don't know how much you will pay for the Mathews (used), but the primal is a DAMN nice bow for $396. It reminds me a lot of the elite bows. I dont feel like i am sacrificing anything by choosing the lesser know g5 bows. The draw cycle on the primal was nice. I don't remember there being that much BUZZ or noise either. It will prob. be a little faster than the dxt and a little slower than the reezen. I hated the draw on the reezen. The added warranty on the g5 would be a nice feature.
    Bottom line is, its your call. If you are worried about not being able to shoot it, look for an elite z28 or gt500 with the Revolution cam. G5 uses that same cam on the Primal. The finish on the g5's is as nice as Elites....which says a lot if you have ever seen the elites.
    G5 PRIME CENTROID

I have owned a DXT and it had hand shock ate strings like crazy 2 strings in 4 months.Never owned a reezen but shot one it was ok.As for the primal it does have a little hand shock about like the DXT not bad at all.But the primal is smoother than both imo and with the G-fade looks alot better my vote goes to the primal.
    STROTHER SR-71,STROTHER VANQUSIH,STROTHER INFINITY ON ORDER,2010 quest primal black,2010 quest g-fade primal,09 black Quest XPB,Stan SX2,Victory V1 HV,G5 Expert ll,Sure-loc lethal wapon,Viper sight
    Rusher Custom Strings
    Trophy hunters unlimited archery

I personally wouldn't even consider buying a bow that I've never shot no matter the price. You said that you have never shot a binary cam, what if you hate it? The Primal is a great bow I'm sure, but pull it back before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by HCA #1 View Post
    I have owned a DXT and it had hand shock ate strings like crazy 2 strings in 4 months.Never owned a reezen but shot one it was ok.As for the primal it does have a little hand shock about like the DXT not bad at all.But the primal is smoother than both imo and with the G-fade looks alot better my vote goes to the primal.
    The DXT is very shock-free when coupled with a string-stop. As far as eating strings goes, mine has had the same string for over a year now (many shots) with no visible signs of slowing down. I'm thinking that maybe something might have been off with your DXT.

I put a STS on mine and still had some hand shock not bad about like my primal.As far as the strings I sent it back to mathews the never took care of it so i got rid of it but it was a nice bow but i like the pirmal better
    STROTHER SR-71,STROTHER VANQUSIH,STROTHER INFINITY ON ORDER,2010 quest primal black,2010 quest g-fade primal,09 black Quest XPB,Stan SX2,Victory V1 HV,G5 Expert ll,Sure-loc lethal wapon,Viper sight
    Rusher Custom Strings
    Trophy hunters unlimited archery

Well I added my old stab combo of a "doinker" style coupler 6" extension and an original S-coil and the Primal buzz is gone. Planned on it anyway. Has anyone had to "tinker" with their G5? Going to build a draw board so I can do it right.
    G-Fade Quest Primal LH 72# @ 29.25"
    Proline Strings BCY X
    GT Velocity XT's 372gr
    Speed = 309 fps
    Grim Reapers....Watch em drop!

Where did you find new for $396?
    Hoyt Carbon Matrix G3
    HHA - Easton Carbon Injections - QAD HDx
    TightSpot - NAP Killzone - B Stinger

Well here we go, I just bought the G5 primal in the fade yesterday. For the last 3 years I have be a huge drenalin fan.(which is very close to DXT) I spent about two hours shooting today, so far I see the Comparison like this:
    Fit and finish-primal
    draw cycle smoothness-drenalin
    Price-primal
    Speed very close but-primal
    back wall-primal (awesome)
    finish durability-too soon to tell on the
    primal, but extremely disappointed
    with drenalins
    vibration-drenalin
    noise- to close to tell

I have a DXT, it's ok...but I shot the Quest XPB witch I believe is now replaced by the Primal? Anyway I was impressed. I would take that deal in a heartbeat...sweet price on that Primal. Just my two cents.
    '12 Hoyt Carbon Element w/ Hoyt Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro & Spot Hogg Tommy Single Pin - Easton Axis Arrows

for those of you that own the primal, how hard is it to work on a twin cam? i have heard it is very different than a single cam and that if you dont know what you are doing, you can seriously mess your bow up? True?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast