Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best finger bow, ever.

Best finger bow, ever.

I have shot mostly recurves over the last several years, but kinked my shoulder up and have had to go back to compounds full time. Still like fingers and would like to stick with it, but bows hard to find these days... particularly with my 31" draw.

I have looked at all the new stuff and it looks like, for my purposes, the hoyt contender elite or reflex caribou is the way to go. There is alot of older model bows around though that are completely servicable. What are are of your picks for "best finger bow I have ever shot" so I could give them a look too.

Ha I just posted a thread on this!

http://www.martinarchery.com/2010web/shadowcat.php

Martin got it right! This is a top of the line finger bow!

Huntin' or targets?

Target............ 47.5" Barnsdale Classic X .........Bar none!
    Huntin' ..........inside 20 yds. it don't make much difference! I killed a little whitetail buck this year with a Katera XL (36" ATA), certainly not my choice for a target bow, but from a pop-up blind at 14 yards, it worked fine!

Quote Originally Posted by fuelracerpat View Post
    Huntin' or targets?

Target............ 47.5" Barnsdale Classic X .........Bar none!
    Huntin' ..........inside 20 yds. it don't make much difference! I killed a little whitetail buck this year with a Katera XL (36" ATA), certainly not my choice for a target bow, but from a pop-up blind at 14 yards, it worked fine!
    I am doing both. I have looked at the barnsdale's a few times, but have heard mixed reviews about thier suitablity for hunting (i.e. Noise).

Question was more geared to any bow ever made. There are alot of them still around, just need to know what to look for.

Depends on what the intended use of the bow is, the archer's draw length, and shooting style, etc..etc...Horse's for Course's...If I didnt need a bow that I can pull through a clicker, I'd think for me, the best all-round Finger bow would be a Hoyt ProTec, or Pro Elite, with XT-3000 limbs, and Cam 1/2 Plus cams...I like the Conquest alot, also...Gotta give props to the Katera XL also, maybe even rank it over the Pro Tec for Hunting, and 3-D...This old Aspen, with the long limbs, and serious deflexed riser is about as forgiving of a bow as I've ever owned, but it's painfully slow compared to my other bows...with 5 grains per pound, and peep in string, and at my draw length, the Aspen is rockin' the Chrono at 240 f.p.s...NOT a serious contender for 3-D, to me, anyway, but it shoots so stable, and draws so smooth with the Accuwheels...LOVE the grip...Jim
    Those who separate Politics, and Morality, will never understand either one....John Viscount Morley

PSE................Laser Magnum
    Pearson .........XE Classic
    Hoyt............. ProVantage
    Martin ...........Cougar Magnum
    Any of these ol' bows will be suitable for stringwalking.

The Barney is more than quiet enough to hunt with.....maybe not as quiet as the parallel limb things....but all of the bows above had hunter versions and were considered top of the line in their day.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyWithBow View Post
    I am doing both. I have looked at the barnsdale's a few times, but have heard mixed reviews about thier suitablity for hunting (i.e. Noise).
    My Barnsdale with the shoot through system is loud. It's the loudest bow that I have ever owned. It's great for spots but it would not be my choice for hunting. The cable guard option is a quieter bow.

I would suggest getting a bow with a long ATA, at least 42".
    Get cams if speed is important to you, wheels if forgiveness and comfort are at the top of your requirements. If you let us know what you would prefer cams/wheels it would help us steer you in the right direction.

Happy Trails
    Keith

Oneida Black Eagle, best fingers bow by far, I had a Martin Pantera for awhile and it was another great bow. "Older Bow"
    BackWater Bowfishing Pro-Staff

hoyt provantage

Hoyt Aspen, Reflex Caribou, Mathews Rival Pro, Conquest 3, are a few of my favorites.
    Finger Shooter-Mathews Conquest 3, Hoyt Ultratec, Mathews Rival Pro, Mathews Apex with a NAP Flipper and finger tab.
    Bows owned: Hoyt Ram, Mathews Feathermax, Hoyt Aspen, Martin Cougar, PSE XLR9000, Oneida, PSE Dakota, Reflex Caribou solid and split, Bowtech Constitution (should have kept).

1. Hoyt Provantage Carbon Plus with Pro wheels
    2. Barnsdale Classic X My shoot thru isn't noisy????
    3. Hoyt Prostar
    4. PSE Laser Magnum
    5. Bear 4 wheel Tamerlane

Guess I should start kicking myself for not buying that Aspen 3 years ago for practially nothing...

This may seem like a newby question, I assure you I am not, but what is the gravitation toward a soft wheel over a harder cam with finger shooters? I have shot both, seemed the least important part of the bow design because I can't tell a real difference on. (Example: Old Hoyt protech you could get either a command cam or accuwheel. Shot them both, felt different but shot them the same.)

I'm a fan of the Bowtech Constitution, but it is a bow that you either shoot well or hate, as it takes no prisoners. The Binary cam is a hard, fast cam with a solid back wall, but very little valley, so if your hold is not solid, it WILL rip the string out of your hands.

I have two
    Dedicated Finger Shooter

Athens Excell:
    Martin Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs:

Here is a thought...

The "golden age" of finger bows is past us, our choices are limited now to maybe one bow by each manufacturer... If that. As best I can tell, the big issue with "old bows" (meaning used and manufactured a decade or two ago) is usually questionable limbs and out of date cam designs. Am I missing another option?

Let's say I go to 50 pawn shops or archery shops that have a bunch of used bows and just pick out what feels good in my hand. Send that riser off to barnsdale and have a set of reliable, new limbs and a moderate set of wheels or cams then get winners choice (or some such) to custom make a set of cables and a string for it. Is this a plan anybody else has ever had?

Man, there are still some good bows! Martin, Reflex,and Mathews make a great finger bow! It is not dead and there are still some gently used good ones out there. I have yet to have limbs fail. I am only 36,but my first was a Bear White Tail and my first new bow was a Hoyt Ram bow.
    Finger Shooter-Mathews Conquest 3, Hoyt Ultratec, Mathews Rival Pro, Mathews Apex with a NAP Flipper and finger tab.
    Bows owned: Hoyt Ram, Mathews Feathermax, Hoyt Aspen, Martin Cougar, PSE XLR9000, Oneida, PSE Dakota, Reflex Caribou solid and split, Bowtech Constitution (should have kept).

Well my opinion differes, I like a finger bow that has a solid wall, 41" or so that I can get
    around 274 fps out of. It needs to not have much hand shock, and aim real nice. Wheel bows have to much valley for me. I shoot with one finger and back tention, and have a short draw. I can shoot a bow as short as 37" as long as it meets my other needs.

Martin Cougar 2000-2001 ata 45"
    Martin Razor 2002-2005 ata 46"
    Martin Scepter 2005 - 2009 ata 42.5"
    Martin Shadowcat 2010 ata 41"

Mathews Conquest
    Hoyt Protec with 4000 limbs ata 46"
    Reflex Caribou ata 46"
    Barnsdale of course are nice

Note for me anything under 40" ata is not acceptable. (OK well perhaps if you have a 26" draw it might be OK)

I have one of the older CSS bows and I think it's 44 inches axle to axle, one came and you can creep a little with it.

It shoots as well as my target panic will allow.

I went to shooting fingers after a gater jaw release hit me in the mouth a few times and I got a little gun shy.

I still shoot a release some, but the target panic just kills me and I can't shoot a release very well or my fingers for that matter.

FDL, I like the hard cam or Minimax as well and you bring up a huge point in that I think if your draw is less than 28" your options and such change. I think the longer A2A comes in to play when your draw is longer. I like the Rival Pro and Conquest as well wish I would have never sold my 2000 Cougar with Fusion cam.

Quote Originally Posted by big cypress View Post
    hoyt provantage
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeman67 View Post
    I have one of the older CSS bows and I think it's 44 inches axle to axle, one came and you can creep a little with it.

It shoots as well as my target panic will allow.

I went to shooting fingers after a gater jaw release hit me in the mouth a few times and I got a little gun shy.

I still shoot a release some, but the target panic just kills me and I can't shoot a release very well or my fingers for that matter.
    I forgot about CSS, thank you! I even live in WV too, they may revoke my drivers license or something! I will give the factory a call today. I think they marketed under horton now, but should know where to point me for a finger bow.

a lady in stuebenville,oh. told me you don't have drivers licenses in wv .

Quote Originally Posted by big cypress View Post
    a lady in stuebenville,oh. told me you don't have drivers licenses in wv .
    We just tell people from Ohio that so they will stay off of our roads, get tired of cleaning up the wreckage.

I believe that a Hoyt Protec with LX limbs should be high on the “best ever list”. I prefer a bow that has a soft wall and a decent valley, the accuwheel provides this. With an ATA of 47”, finger pinch is not an issue. The older Protecs have a deflex riser, making it more forgiving. IMO they have the best grip that there is. The Protec LX is the most comfortable bow that I have ever shot.

Let us know what you end up with.

Keith

Look at my signature, every bow in it but the Guardian are great finger bows, and I put every one of them together with Nitrous cams there fast and accurate, and a few years old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast