Thread: Quick change mouth tab

Quick change mouth tab

Fot those of you that don't know, some one arm archers have a mouth tab attached to their string just above the nocking point. They grab the tab with their teeth, draw the bow and release the arrow by letting go of the tab.

Here is a video of OneArmArrowSlinger doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/jruzich43

Here is a link to a thread that has information on making a mouth tab:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=472803

I would like to have the boys in our Boy Scout Troop try this (our theme this month is Disability Awareness), but we can't have all the boys using the same mouth tab.

Any ideas on how to make a quick change mouth tab?

07 Bowtech Guardian

This is something I'd like to figure out. If I had a quick release tab then I'd be able to go into Cabela's or any archery shop & try out different bows. Plus this info is going to help a bunch of Boy Scouts, how cool is that!?!

There is your claim to fame Jon. Make 'em and sell'em.

Quote Originally Posted by asa1485 View Post
    There is your claim to fame Jon. Make 'em and sell'em.
    Ssshhhhhhhh, don't say that out loud Pete, now someone is gonna beat me to it! lol

TTT

How many One armed archers are their?
    How many Archers shoot with a Mouth Tab?
    Would it be worth it to develop one?
    Pro Staff :
    Hips Target Systems

Quote Originally Posted by txarcher1 View Post
    How many One armed archers are their?
    How many Archers shoot with a Mouth Tab?
    Would it be worth it to develop one?
    I know of 2 other than myself.

Quote Originally Posted by OneArmArrowSlinger View Post
    Ssshhhhhhhh, don't say that out loud Pete, now someone is gonna beat me to it! lol

TTT
    Oooopppppssssss.

Does the night crew have any ideas?

07 Bowtech Guardian

this may be a long shot, but what about some kind of D-ring or even a light key-ring type of thing that you could braid the mouth tab around and maybe attach to some kind of d-loop?
    -08 Alpine Silverado Match Grade
    -Old Hoyt Superslam for the Carp

Embraced a dream that was a nightmare only yesterday...

I know a couple myself, and another friend who just had shoulder surgery who is shooting with one now- This would be a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by why3zx View Post
    this may be a long shot, but what about some kind of D-ring or even a light key-ring type of thing that you could braid the mouth tab around and maybe attach to some kind of d-loop?
    The only downside to this is that I like to keep my mouth as close to the string as possible because the farther away from the string you get, the shorter your draw length. Good idea though and I think you're on the right track, keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by why3zx View Post
    Yea I think this is the right track also...

How about attaching a mouth tab to a T.R.U Nok?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

It would be a little work to screw it off and on, but it is easier than tying...

07 Bowtech Guardian

Any other ideas?

07 Bowtech Guardian

Any ideas from the Monday morning crowd?

07 Bowtech Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by redpete View Post
    Yea I think this is the right track also...

How about attaching a mouth tab to a T.R.U Nok?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

It would be a little work to screw it off and on, but it is easier than tying...
    So would you be looking into buying one of these for each scout to build a tab onto?

We have a shooter from our local shop that goes to Chula Vista and trains for the Parolympic team and shoots with a mouth tab. The tab shown in the first thread at the top is how we started him. Then on his first trip to OTC the coaches there showed him and gave us instructions on how to make his tab in the future.

They have had us start making them out of NYLON DOG COLLARS and LEASHES. The leashes are flat and make for a much more consistant release of the bow and do not wear out as fast as the cotton filled nylon tube or rope style tab.

May I recommend utilizing some sort of safety pin style attachment imbedded in the wide nylon strap chew tab? The safety pin can be attached to a shorter than normal D-Loop.

-Steve
    Posted via Mobile Device

I use parashoot cord for my mouth tab. $0.09 per foot plus certainly strong enough. The key is not to bite too hard. My dentist says you can bite down at 500 lbs of force. So you only should use around 10 to 20% of full bitting force.

Maybe if they have to take the time to each sow on a mouth tab they start to understand what it like to be disabled. Even simple things can be hard or is that being to realistic? Just cut it off carefully between shooters.

Recommend you use a light draw weight bow, since they will only be using one arm (likely their weaker arm) to draw. Also you typically loose about 3" of draw length.

For a fast/quick mouth tab you can just tie on a longer piece of parashoot cord to shoot a few shots. For long term shooting and slightly better accuracy than you want to sow it on.

Long shot, but here's my thoughts. If you could create something that fits in your mouth, like a top & bottom teeth guard, similar to a football mouth guard. One you could boil to mold to your teeth. Have some kind of release coming out, same as a wrist or thumb release, that you could hook to a d-loop. Then release from biting or maybe tongue released. Biting sounds better to me. What if the mouth guard had a bracket inlaid in the rubber, that with a certain; or better yet adjustable, amount of pressure would release the jaws. Most trigger's are just spring load anyway, so is doesn't necessarily have to be released from a side trigger, right.

Far from a boy scout project, but w/seem simple engineering & machining could be done.

Man, you better lock this thread down & get on it. If you end up becoming a thousandaire w/this idea, then.......................... .. you deserve it!

PM me if you want to talk more about your idea. I'd be glad to do anything to help.

Quote Originally Posted by teammemphis View Post
    We have a shooter from our local shop that goes to Chula Vista and trains for the Parolympic team and shoots with a mouth tab. The tab shown in the first thread at the top is how we started him. Then on his first trip to OTC the coaches there showed him and gave us instructions on how to make his tab in the future.
    This person got me shooting with a mouth tab while I was recovering from shoulder surgery last year and I still have that bow set up for mouth shooting.. It's a lot easier than you'd think once you get your neck muscles strengthened up. I talked w/ a dentist friend and he said no problem as long as you are anchor with a molar.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/attach...1&d=1262883073

They have had us start making them out of NYLON DOG COLLARS and LEASHES. The leashes are flat and make for a much more consistant release of the bow and do not wear out as fast as the cotton filled nylon tube or rope style tab.

For a "quick change" chew strap I'd take about 3" of 3/8" wide nylon webbing and sew the 1" strips of the opposing sides of some Velcro to the same face of the webbing out at the ends. You can them slip it through a D-Loop and close it w/ the Velcro. The force of you biting down on it will hold it closed just fine to shoot with, the Velcro is just here to keep it from flying off on release.

Quote Originally Posted by SandSquid View Post
    This person got me shooting with a mouth tab while I was recovering from shoulder surgery last year and I still have that bow set up for mouth shooting.. It's a lot easier than you'd think once you get your neck muscles strengthened up. I talked w/ a dentist friend and he said no problem as long as you are anchor with a molar.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/attach...1&d=1262883073

For a "quick change" chew strap I'd take about 3" of 3/8" wide nylon webbing and sew the 1" strips of the opposing sides of some Velcro to the same face of the webbing out at the ends. You can them slip it through a D-Loop and close it w/ the Velcro. The force of you biting down on it will hold it closed just fine to shoot with, the Velcro is just here to keep it from flying off on release.
    thats a pretty darn good idea! I may have to look into giving it a try & I'll let you all know how it works. I hope it does b/c they have a lefty Z7 at our local shop I've really been wanting try out but haven't due to not wanting to build a tab for it & then cutting it off.