Thread: What way is better to fletch arrows?

What way is better to fletch arrows?

What is the best way to fletch hunting arrows, for example right helical, left helical or straight fletching with no offset or straight fletching with just a little offset?

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeBow View Post
    What is the best way to fletch hunting arrows, for example right helical, left helical or straight fletching with no offset or straight fletching with just a little offset?
    ...personally, I like the "slight right offset"...

...what you have asked is open to an individuals interpretation...

...IMHO, there is no "best way"...however, there are better ways depending upon how well your bow has been set up and tuned...

...most hunters will choose right helical or right offset...

That depends on a few things, like arrow diameter, what fletching is being used, what kind of bow (trad or compound), what kind of rest and how big the broadheads are. There isn't just one best way.
    Sent via my 1918 Bell hand crank phone

Depends on what kind of shooting you do?

If you are shooting 100 yards (90 meters) for Olympic recurve,
    then you want the low profile vanes,
    a straight clamp
    and maybe 2 degrees of offset at most.

This gives you steering correction
    and not too much drag, which would reduce your max distance.

If you are shooting a fixed broadhead,
    10 or 15 or 20 yards,
    then large vanes or feathers,
    with the maximum helical you can get,
    so that the clamp is still in full contact with the arrow shaft.

The max helical angle,
    will give you maximum steering correction
    and a huge amount of aerodynamic drag.

Right offset
    or
    Right helical,
    the arrow will rotate clockwise.

Left offset
    or
    left helical,
    the arrow will rotate counter-clockwise.

A straight clamp will give you less steering correction.
    A helical clamp will give you more steering correction.

At long range,
    a straight clamp offset vane installation,
    will give you less arrow drop (more down range speed).

At long range,
    a helical clamp vane installation,
    you may not be able to reach 90 meters (100 yards recurve shooting).

Just depends on your style of shooting,
    and what you are looking for.
    www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

alanlui@comcast.net

I didnt really mean best way just the most popular way

well i shoot g5 broadheads 100 grain, with gold tip arrows cut at 28 inches. I have a 70lb draw weight with a martin cheetah bow.

well i shoot g5 broadheads 100 grain, with gold tip arrows cut at 28 inches. I have a 70lb draw weight with a martin cheetah bow.
    ...I shoot G5 Montecs, 100gr...I have them on Easton FMJ's and have them fletched with GATEWAY RAZYR feathers with a slight right offset...

...fly like darts out to 60 yards...group so well I don't shoot more than one at a spot...

...most "popular" for hunting shafts will be right helical or right offset...

...I have found numerous times that some guys "think" their shafts are fletched "helical" when in reality they have a right "offset"...

Go with right helical or right offset.

The arrow should spin in flight for the same reason a football or a bullet should spin in flight....it stabilizes the flight. Straight fletch does fly very slightly faster and further, but the amount of difference is negligible.

The amount of stabilization difference can be very significant. Won't be too noticable on a calm day, but watch your flight in a crosswind with straight fletch vs. helical or offset and you'll never fletch straight again.

As to the direction of the spin, right is the way to go because the clockwise spin of the arrow in flight will be suddenly stopped when the BH hits the animal. Any BH that tightens the blades by means of threads will release them within the animal if it's spinning counterclockwise when the BH stops rotating and the shaft may continue spinning.

One of the most popular BH's that retains the blades in such a manner is the NAP Thunderhead, and they list in their instructions a caution against using the BH with fletching that spins the arrow in a countercockwise direction for the stated reason.

WRT to helical vs. offset......I use helical because I suspect there is some efficiency gain in the helical. I don't know it for a fact, and have never seen the proof in flight, but propellers for boats and airplanes are made to use the effect, and they'd both be much cheaper and easier to make with offset straight blades. I bought my Bitzenburger many years ago with the helical clamps included in the package deal. If I had only the straight clamp, I'd probably wait to see some proof of the helical's efficiency advantage before popping for the extra clamps.

Right or left helical doesn't matter off a compound, helical will stabilize the arrow faster in flight but also create more drag down range. Also if using feathers you must buy the feathers for the correct helical your using.
    Straight is IMHO never an option.
    Offset right or left again it doesn't matter which way is also a good choice for WB or prong style shooters, less contact.
    I use a drop away rest, helical left feathers.
    Side note some people will tell you left helical will unscrew your tips------30 years never happened to me, just a touch of string wax on the threads and tighten them down they don't move.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

I cant figure out why jig-makers offer a straight clamp in the 1st place? Depending on the set up ,Helical can usually allow you to use a shorter vane then offset to achieve good stability/accuracy.

ok this might be a dumb question but what is the diffrence between offset and helical I am confused

thanks for the info

Me personally, always has a right helical, even with my blazers..It just makes logical sense! They spin alot more than straight, and spin a little more than offset. Spin or rifling helps stabilize a projectile and keep it on a straighter path. Football, bullet, arrow etc.

Something that no one seems to take in consideration is fletching placement. I mean the distance from the nock to the fletching. The usual placement you see was started by finger shooters to give clearance for your fingers with gloves. But these days most people us a release aid. If you use a release, you should move your fletchings back, as close to the nock as you can without making contact with your face. The farther back they are, the better they can stabilize your arrow, it has to do with the distance between the center of mass and the fletch. Longer the lever arm the move effective your fletchings are, also why a high FOC makes for an arrow that stabilizes faster.

I keep them close to the nock for the best stabilization with a left helical (vanetec Vmaxx). With a left helical the arrow spins counter-clockwise which loosens your point when it enters a target. When it does this on an animal you don't lose penetration by spinning clockwise and tightening your broadhead. I heard that from a friend who is pretty smart and it does make sense.
    Elite Pulse 28/70 LD, Boss Hogg, B Stinger, Kwikee, CT Whtetail XP's, Slick Tricks
    SR-71 28/70 LD, CBE Quad Light 3D, B Stinger, CT Cheetah's

I use LH and a 2 gr alum. broadhead washer and make sure theyre good and tight.Ive blown through Hog spinal columns just behind the shoulder a couple times with mechanicals. glue in target points arent an issue. I believe the head stops the arrow from spinning upon blade impact.

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter1 View Post
    I keep them close to the nock for the best stabilization with a left helical (vanetec Vmaxx). With a left helical the arrow spins counter-clockwise which loosens your point when it enters a target. When it does this on an animal you don't lose penetration by spinning clockwise and tightening your broadhead. I heard that from a friend who is pretty smart and it does make sense.
    To me it doesn't make sense at all. Tighten the head, use a little string wax on the threads it won't come loose. If it did make sense then our shop has been fletching thousands of arrows the wrong way for 28 years------we do everything left except quickspins and blazer vanes. Funny thing is in the last 28 years all my arrows have been left and never lost a head or had one come loose because of the left helical.
    Have a good day and a better hunt