a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon or Aluminum

Carbon or Aluminum

Just curious how many folks still choose aluminum arrows.....or, how many choose carbon??
    This is not meant to be an argument thread. I know they all will work ,but just curious. Thanks.

I shoot aluminum out of my recurve and longbow and carbon out of my compound.

I looooove footed carbon Axis arrows!

Ray

i prefer carbon. in my opinion they`re more flexible and stronger(can take more). my opinion is mostly based on dealing with different a/c materials. carbon just seems better to me.

I perfer the carbons due to the fact of being easy to tune with weights on back of the inserts (Gold Tip, CX). Also, they are really tough and I need all the help I can get when I miss the target, for I am not the best shot in the world.....
    Black Widow PMA III, Toelke Whip, Black Widow PCH (yew & bubinga),Browning Wasp

Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Luke 6: 37

Thumbs up Carbon arrows

I use carbon becase they recover faster after being released. Like the beman hunter elite with vibrake inserts.

I shoot aluminum arrows out of my recurves and longbow.

I'm a real newb but, I'm shooting aluminum in my recurve and will be shooting carbon in my longbow that will be here tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WOLF View Post
    I looooove footed carbon Axis arrows!

Ray
    Ok, what are "footed arrows"?

Quote Originally Posted by BlkIce View Post
    Ok, what are "footed arrows"?
    With carbon arrows...a small piece of aluminum, generally cut from an aluminum arrow is fitted over the end to help prevent the carbon arrow from splintering at the tip. It can make a carbon arrow almost indestructible or at least seem like it

With wood arrows a hard wood footing is wedged and glued into the tip to also help strengthen them. Makes a very pretty arrow also!

Ray

I probably have enough aluminums to make it to the next decade, so I have no sense of urgency for shooting carbons. Might stumble across a few in the meantime, but 10 years from now people will be looking back at what’s being shot today and remembering when.

They have not made one piece of equipment in decades that can be credited with making me a better archer…that happens on the other side of the string. Enjoy, Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by rickstix View Post
    I probably have enough aluminums to make it to the next decade, so I have no sense of urgency for shooting carbons. Might stumble across a few in the meantime, but 10 years from now people will be looking back at what’s being shot today and remembering when.

They have not made one piece of equipment in decades that can be credited with making me a better archer…that happens on the other side of the string. Enjoy, Rick.
    Nice post.
    Hoyt Vectrix
    Quinn Stallion Classic
    Quinn Comet XL
    "Hunting inside a fence, think about it, that's an oxy-moron" flyboy718

I shoot carbon because it's stronger,either straight or broken.
    But,alloys are a heck of a lot easier to tune.
    None of this over length,extra wheight up front stuff.
    Wish I was less hard on my gear every time this question comes up.

Wood is best, carbon break down, aluminum be bent.

Wood i can shoot almost anything, won´t break or bent.
    Grózer biocomposite short Turkish bow 62#@28"
    J-Bow 64" longbow 68#@29"
    J-Bow 60" longbow 70#@28" PROTO
    Bamabows Royal longbow 100#@28"

Primarily carbon due to the availability of 50 & 100 grain brass inserts which allow tuning flexibility.

Alums will also shoot great, but other than a couple small diameter sizes for which brass inserts are now available, you don't have many options to add weight up front to adjust spine. Still you can get them to shoot well with standard weight points by diddling around spine via experimenting with length. From my recurves in the low 50#s at my draw I can shoot 30" 2213's with 145 grain points that duplicate spine of my 29.5" CXTH 5640 carbons with 100 grain brass & a 100 grain point. Of course, there are way more broadhead options at 100 grains than there are at 145...

BTW, I even use 50 grain brass inserts to add weight & FOC to the carbons I shoot with my compounds. Great idea, those things...

Aluminum. They're the easiest for me to figure out which would be the proper spine for the poundage I am shooting (not too familiar with all the .300, .400, .500, and so on and so on, although I am sure I can figure it out). There's just something so...traditional about aluminums out of a trad bow, but then again, those that call themselves true "traditionalists" would probably say that you're not truly "trad" unless you are shooting handmade woodies out of a selfbow...go figure

I've shot them all. I prefer carbons. My brother likes aluminum. We both still make and shoot wood though.

Carbons with collars are the toughest I've shot, and I really like them. They weigh the same as my aluminums, but have a smaller diameter and a higher EFOC. Still not sure just how much that affects anything, but it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WOLF View Post
    With carbon arrows...a small piece of aluminum, generally cut from an aluminum arrow is fitted over the end to help prevent the carbon arrow from splintering at the tip. It can make a carbon arrow almost indestructible or at least seem like it

With wood arrows a hard wood footing is wedged and glued into the tip to also help strengthen them. Makes a very pretty arrow also!

Ray
    Pics please!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlkIce View Post
    Pics please!!!!!!!!!
    Here ya go. Not mine...but a decent example.

Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got it now. Thanks Black Wolf. Was having trouble wrapping my head around the concept.

Blackwolf - How does one get the aluminum to stay there? Glue? Does it stay there well, or would you have to keep repairing them? I have some carbons that shoot a bit stiff out of my recurve. This looks like a good way to get more weight up front.

Thought maybe inserts?

Do carbon collars (like 3rivers sells) have the same affect?

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Not Ted View Post

Do carbon collars (like 3rivers sells) have the same affect?
    Yup. I use the collars (same cost, easier to come across) and have yet to have a carbon break behind the point. Despite... well... lots of mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by dabersold View Post
    Blackwolf - How does one get the aluminum to stay there? Glue? Does it stay there well, or would you have to keep repairing them? I have some carbons that shoot a bit stiff out of my recurve. This looks like a good way to get more weight up front.
    Yes...you glue them and they stay put.

Ray

Thanks for replying fellas. Interesting .....I tend to lean to aluminum because they're easy to tune [for me ].
    Bottom line is....they all will work, just personal preference. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast