a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Lighted Nocks using Bobber Lights

Homemade Lighted Nocks using Bobber Lights

Well since I'm planning on going hog hunting here in the near future, I figured I might be doing some night hunting. I wanted to look into getting some lighted nocks, but didn't want to pay $10 each for them. I had been doing some research on Youtube and google searches and came across a few different approaches. This is by no means my idea, I got this from another forum but thought I would share it here. This is not a fix all or clear cut instruction for doing this. There are betters out there and I think some being sold on here that are probably better. I'm just a tight wad and love to play around with things like this. If you damage your arrows, nocks, or bobber lights, don't blame me. I ruined one light when I was trying to make mine work.

To do this, I used need some clear nocks, some LED bobber lights, some super glue, and some pieces of 1/4" dowel rod. I didn't glue my bobber lights to the nocks or inside the arrow so they can be removed. The only modification that is done is to add a small piece of dowel rod as a stop inside your arrow. The weight of the dowel piece is minimal.

I used bobber lights I picked up at Academy for $3 or $4.

They are very bright!

I cut a piece of 1/4" dowel about 1/4" to 3/8" in length. Sand it slightly so it will fit inside your arrow. My arrows are .246 and the dowel rod was .250 so a little sanding had to be done. Dowel rods aren't perfect so test yours out before sanding. After cutting, I pushed the dowel into the arrow and then used the bobber light in the nock to push the dowel in to the correct depth. When the bobber light is on, it is pushed in so turn it on and then push the dowel in. I left my nock about 1/16" from being fully seated into the arrow just in case the nocks or the LED lights weren't all the same. I then removed the nock and the light and dropped a few drops of super glue to secure the dowel. Let it dry and then test it out.

Here is the finished product!

Like I said, "Try this at your own risk!"

Where did you buy the clear nocks and lights at? Like the idea and want to make some myself.

how do you turn the lights on and off?

I am also interested in how to shut the light off

Quote Originally Posted by sneakysnake View Post
    Where did you buy the clear nocks and lights at? Like the idea and want to make some myself.
    They came with my arrows. I don't know where to buy them. I have some Carbon Express Terminators and that's what they came with. I have also tried green and red. Both work good.

Quote Originally Posted by d3ue3ce View Post
    how do you turn the lights on and off?
    As far as turning them off, I just pull out my nock and pop the light off. You pull out on the LED to shut it off. When you want to use them, just push in on your nock and seat it in all the way in the arrow. They come on and don't shut them off till you turn em off. I thought that would be good if I'm trying to find my arrow after a shot.
    Last edited by t-roys; February 22nd, 2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Added replies

Thanks, Will be ordering some so.

If ya find the clear nocks, lemme know where. I would like to get some more!

where did you get the rod?

and or lights at?

The wooden rod is just dowel rod from the hardware store. The LED's came frome Academy Sports
    Posted via Mobile Device

I went to buy some Nocturnals at BPS today and they are out. After searching the forum, I have a question. How do your arrows fly after this installation. Since this is 7 months later, how are the lights holding up? Thanks, Tim

Just drill a small hole up through the nock and apply a tad of 5 minute epoxy to the top edge of the light and stick it into the nock thus gluing the on off button to the nock. Now you simply pull on the nock a tad to turn the light off and the light shines through your nock no matter what color nock you use. There is a video on Utube about making your own but they say to use super glue. The epoxy works better and does not run into and jam your on off button.

I've made them before using a pin just heat the head or pointy end of the pin up to red hot and stick it threw the nock and into the plastic portion of the light let it cool off and cut it of flush remember to take an old knock and cut the shoulder off and glue it to the other end of the light......it's to much messing around and not garunteed to work for the $10 you would spend on a burt coyote...I'm one of the cheapest out there but I buy luminoks.

I've made some like this before but I dont turn them on before i knock my arrow. If you push the led all the way into the nock until it turns on, you can use that as a depth marker for your plug. Add a little super glue or epoxy to the plug to hold it in place. Remove nock and pull out on light to turn off. Now place it back into the arrow without going all the way in. Leave approximately a 1/16 of an inch. The plug will act as a backstop. When you release the string, the pressure will push the nock the last little bit into the arrow, thus lighting the nock. To turn off, just remove and pull out on led. Repeat and enjoy.

I am not a fan of having the nock lit while on the bow because i have had it cast shadows and I fear it could spook an animal. Just my two $0.02.

you can buy the LED bobber lights in the fishing section at walmart. thats where i bought them and they were pretty cheap.
    2010 MATHEWS MONSTER 6 CAMO...G5 OPTIX, LIMBDRIVER
    2010 PSE OMEN, AXCEL ARMORTECH HD, QAD HD...BLACK OUT FOAM KILLER
    ALIEN MAFIA

i've never found them at Walmart but Dicks Sporting goods has them. I have ruined a bunch with superglue trying to glue them to the nock for easy on/off. just take your nock off and pull light out after you shoot, easier than spending more money to buy new lights after you mess it up with super glue.

pretty cool wish you could make a Video of them working ...

I do have a couple. I'll have to upload them to Youtube. Since deer season has not started here in Kansas, I haven't got a chance to try them out on deer. I've shot 5 hogs with them and they work great.

GA lost to Ark.

They are tough this year! They are 3-0 It's about time they come around. Been a rough few years....

I just want to say those prices seem high to me for the lights. I realize they have a larger variety of colors, but the hawglite shop is selling 10 lights for $22 Plus shipping, or 20 lights for $40 plus shipping. http://www.hawglite.com/pro_shop.php So if you can be happy with red lights this seems to be the biggest bargain place to buy the lights and to me at least beats paying $15 for 3 lights.

Can u just buy the replacement lights or do u have to buy the lighted knocks first and then use the replacemen light.
    Hoyt Carbon Element
    G5 Optix
    Trophy Taker FC
    Gold Tip Velocity arrows
    G5 t3 broadheads

Quote Originally Posted by stevezt4 View Post
    Can u just buy the replacement lights or do u have to buy the lighted knocks first and then use the replacemen light.
    From the link I posted you should be able to just buy the replacement lights, I have in the past anyway.

FYI: for anyone thinking of doing this with Easton ST Axis, the Thill lights won't fit into the knock. Luckily I tested at home prior to buying the extra knocks and lights.

Depending on the knock, you may need to get a small drill bit and drill it out. I had to do that for my buddies arrows and my sons. It's not a exact science. I just like to build stuff and hate paying $10 for a lighted nock.

As far as the lights, the ones I bought from Academy have been the best. I bought 20 or so lights from Hawglite and to tell you the truth, half of them never work. So at that price, I'm paying about the same price as the ones I get from Academy. I jumped on the chance to get em cheap, but now I'm paying for it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast